Comeing out of the closet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comeing out of the closet

This thread is about comeing out of the closet (not the broom closet) feel free to share your own stories, advice tips, and such. I am too chicken to tell my family but everyone else knows. It took some time to get around but most people have been cool with it (pretty good for a 99% catholic town; then again I do live in the north east) still there are plenty of people who just pounced on that and wont leave me alone. My dad is homophobic as is my brother so I wont be telling them any time soon. Well how did you come out? Do you have any plans to? Do you have any tip or advice for others? So I think that'll be it, if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or questioning talk here
    Straight
    0%
    Gay or Lesbian
    0%
    Bisexual
    0%
    Curious/Questioning
    0%

The poll is expired.

Circe

Re: Comeing out of the closet

I didn't have a big dramatic coming out. I figured out I was gay in high school and I'm very glad to say I have very supportive friends. My best friends were the first to know, and they didn't bat an eye about it. My family (except for my dad) knows, and again they're all supportive too. My mom turned into a mini PFLAG mom, its cute. I know my extended family (uncles and aunts and cousins) have a problem with gays, but honestly, I don't care about their opinion. They've all disowned their own kids and siblings because they were gay, so I'm not holding my breath for them to accept me. I think the reason I'm ok with that is because I know its my life, and I have the support of the people I care about the most. Plus, if people choose to hate me just because of the people I love, then I don't want them in my life. I understand how hard it is for people to come out, and the only advice I can suggest is to make sure you're in a situation where coming out isn't going to endanger you. If its safer for you to be in the closet for a little while longer, then just chill. I don't like when people force others to come out. Its a personal choice. Do it when you're ready.
    It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I'm a transgendered, bisexual girl and still in the closet in real life. Though I am pretty much out online.

Just as an aside about the poll, transgender isn't an orientation.
      Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dragon View Post

Just as an aside about the poll, transgender isn't an orientation.
        Oops my bad could a mod remove that option?
        Circe

Comment

I am straight but I have had sexual thoughts about women. I have never been with a woman in an intimate way but the thought doesn't repulse me in any way. women are beautiful.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm straight. The thought of being with a guy is not something that even comes close to happening. I have no problem with other avenues of intimacy, we are all free to experience this life on our own terms, as long as it harms no one.
            sigpic
            "Every human being has a minimum set of ethics from which he operates. When he refuses to compromise these ethics, his career must suffer, when he does compromise them, his conscience does the suffering."-Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
              Oops my bad could a mod remove that option?
              There we go! Fixed
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Althought I am straight, I have watched this process with several friends and family members and I can only imagine how emotionally taxing it can be. I would say that it really isn't so different that coming out of the "broom closet" however. It a matter of how open you want to be with your personal preferences/choices/what-not with your family/friends/co-workers/etc.

I have seen some people lose family over this, but in the end I think being brave (when you are an adult and able to care for yourself away from the people you need to tell of course) is the way to go. It shows you who really cares about YOU and who just cares about the image you present.

My two cents, from the broom closet perspective and the watching position anyway.

Good Luck!

Comment

I'm straight as well, and I agree with the above!

Comment

Straight now ... Was curious back in the day ... Now I know what I like and what I want (sorta I guess) ... The real fun is a threesome ... Either way is ok for me ... Two gals or a gal and another guy ... But if it is with another guy and a gal I prefer to work with the gal ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Well originally I came out as being bisexual to some of my friends and my dad and step mom when I was a senior in high school. Well when I went to college I met a guy and we dated twice that semester and I realized I was fully gay. My dad sort of figured out that I was gay on his own. I told my mother over the phone I was gay. Yeah not a good idea to do. The following semester I started to deny myself as being gay because I was trying to be Christian and certain people were telling me to pray it away and they called it a demon. Because of that I got depressed and got suicidal. One day in March I had a breakdown and went to a crisis unit. Because of that I had to take a leave of absence the rest of the semester. Well when fall came rolling around I went back to college and it started over again. I went to the crisis unit and had to withdraw from college. So close to three years now I have finally accepted who I am and I know that no one is going to change me. My dad's side accepts me but my mother still thinks that I am not gay. Well to end this now I for about two months now I have been wearing my gay pride necklace I got for my birthday.
                      "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." -- Ken Keyes Jr.

Comment

Awwww

I think that whether you tell other people or not, you always have to at least be truthful with yourself. I'm glad you learned to accept who you are <3

Comment

I agree with Danie. Even if you aren't ready to share something so personal with the rest of the world, hurting yourself is always sad. It's one of the unfortunate things (in my mind) about highly regimented theologies. They sometimes encourage a lot of denial.

Comment

Straight, old fashioned but passionate..... you know the biggest problem I have is with terminology. And PLEASE don't think I'm being facetious in any way here.... it really does bother me somewhat.

I mean, if I weren't straight why couldn't I be curved? And if I weren't gay - could I be grumpy instead? The words just don't seem right somehow.... maybe we should invent some new ones (and no, I'm not trying to do that.)

And why do I worry about terminology anyway? People are what matter. And I believe that people should follow their hearts.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'm bisexual. I figured it out after a sort of reawakening to myself at fifteen. I grew up in a Christian family before and lived in a small town, so I'd never even toyed with the thought of other dudes before then. I realized very quickly that it was something appealing to me, and my romantic encounters with the same sex have always felt just as correct as they have with those of the female persuasion.

Coming out to my friends was easy, it was just kind of a shocked reaction and then the usual "Are you sure it's not a phase? Are you just curious?" and of course "derp derp bisexuality doesn't exist", but that only lasted a short time before it was pretty clear I was serious. Now it's just kind of accepted and rarely brought up unless we're making fun of each other and they call me a "devil-worshiping fag", but it's all in good fun. We're the kind of friends that are merciless with each other.

My cousin knows as well. We've always been close and she's an open-minded Christian so she thought it was great. I'm not sure how many of the other family members know, and while I'm not flamboyant, I also don't hide it.

My mom took it pretty hard on the other hand, and only now many months later has she even begun trying to accept it. She's been a pain in the ass as far as that goes, but she's a pain in the ass about everything, so it doesn't really matter. I came out to her at the same time I came out about my paganism (a bad choice in retrospect) and she both almost vomited and cried and flat-out didn't believe me for months.

Comment

Working...
                              X