Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading

Being a teenager I supposedly have boundless free time according to my parents in reallity I have little but in the time I do have I read a lot.I have about a hundred and fifty books I think(just guessing but I do have an entire spare room filled with nothing but boxes and boxes of books)what are your top favorite books,book series authors genras?do you like manga or are you strictly novels?favorite poems? Any writing.my favorite book is Inkdeath by cornelia funk,series-anita blake vampire hunter by laurel k. Hamilton,genra-I like vampire books(well fantisy in general),go japan!manga is cool fav is bleach(like the show also),Poem-the raven by edgar allen poe. More people should read what's your opinion on that?
    Circe

Re: Reading

wheel of time by robert jordan fills all the book'ing I need. by the time a new one comes out, or I take a break from reading, I've forgotten what's happened so I gotta read all the books again in sequence. I always find something new in it too. I never got into manga, though I can read japanese (well used to, I never use it anymore so I've started to forget all my words, though I guess I can cheat and just read the kanji for meaning now!)

I've never ever gotten into or understood so called classical literature, any of that stuff we had to read in high school, any forms of poems, and the like. I also can't stand a lot of academia works now, I just end up saying it's too 画蛇添足, painting snakes feet >_> i think it's just me getting burned out though.

Comment

The Raven is an excellent poem and I don't usually like poems. E.A. Poe just has a way with words, I suppose.
      I have read nearly all the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Queen of the Damned is my all time favorite. Mostly because it covers the back story of Maharet (which is my favorite Character in all the books).
      I'm also an avid fan of Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel series of books, including the new Naamah books.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Hoho link=topic=204.msg1488#msg1488 date=1286859491]
        wheel of time by robert jordan fills all the book'ing I need. by the time a new one comes out, or I take a break from reading, I've forgotten what's happened so I gotta read all the books again in sequence. I always find something new in it too.
        [/quote]
        wheel of Time is my all-time favorite fantasy series.
        I read all the time. Aside from fantasy, Im a diehard H.G. wells fan. He's my literary hero.
        And I read a lot of nonfiction. Metaphyscis, paranormal, and pagan stuff most of the time.

Comment

I like reading and writing short stories.
          In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Currently re-re-re-reading the Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet - Brilliant book that i bought at a jumble sale in about 1992, i read it at least once a year!
            Other than that, Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarion books also get a regular airing.
            Laurel K Hamiltons Anita Blake series as well ( got my wife into them, and started while i was in hospital, took me 5 days to get to book 10, which had been released at that point)
            Terry Pratchets Discworld Novels too

most of my books had to get rehomed though last year as we moved house a few times and lugging over 300 books around isn't all that easy!

M
            In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=204.msg1477#msg1477 date=1286858707]
              my favorite book is Inkdeath by cornelia funk,series-anita blake vampire hunter by laurel k.
              [/quote]

I love Cornelia Funk but my favorite book is Inkheart, not Inkdeath. (:

Comment

My favorite books are (I can't actually put them in any order):

Silverlock, by John Myers Myers

The Worm Ouroborus (+ the unfinished trilogy Mistress of Mistresses, Fish Dinner in Memison, and The Mezentian Gate) by E. R. Eddison

The Gormenghast triology (Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone) by Mervyn Peake

The Lord of the Rings, by... everybody knows who that's by.

My favorite poem is Four Quartets by T. S. Eliot:

...Garlic and sapphires in the mud
                Clot the bedded axle-tree.
                The thrilling wire in the blood
                Sings below inveterate scars
                Appeasing long forgotten wars.
                The dance along the artery
                The circulation of the lymph
                Are figured in the drift of stars
                Ascend to summer in the tree
                We move above the moving tree
                In light upon the figured leaf
                And hear upon the sodden floor
                Below, the boarhound and the boar
                Pursue their pattern as before
                But reconciled among the stars....
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't have a particular genre, and mainly read a lot of non-fiction buuuuuuut:

My favorite book series' are:

The Vampire Chronicles
                  The Riley Jenson Guardian Series
                  The Vampire Diaries

Manga:

Angel Sanctuary
                  Ghost Hunt

I like writing stories, and poems. :P
                  Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

My favorite book is by far Dune by Frank Herbert, I also enjoy the rest of the original series. Most of the stuff I enjoy reading in my spare time is Sci-Fi, though I can be a bit picky about it.

I used to read some manga when I was younger, my favorite was Ranma 1/2. I still occasionally read comics as well, my favorite comic series is The Maxx.

I'm currently reading Speaker of the Dead by Orson Scott Card. Its the second book in the Ender's series.

Comment

I do spend pretty much all of my spare time reading, and considering that I have neither work nor studies at the moment, "spare time" means most of my time. I read anything, as long as it's a book and written well, both fiction and non-fiction. Comics, not so much. I don't really care about those, not counting a few exceptions.

What comes to favorites... Well, can't pick favorites from non-fiction, but in fiction, I love Terry Pratchett's works, all of it, The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and one particular book by Walter Moers, but unfortunately I don't know if that book has been translated into English and, if it is, by what name it goes. I also love Tove Jansson's works.

(And I must say that I win you with my book-count, Corvus. I have one thousand and twelve books, and yes, I have counted them. I'm a bibliophile, in the full meaning of the word. :P)

Comment

I've been meaning to get to the ender series is it any good?
                        Circe

Comment

Ooh, just remembered another favorite of mine: the Epic of Gilgamesh. Anyone else read that?

Comment

The epic of gilgamesh? Which version there's like a billion but I have read it. one thousand and twelve! Where on earth do you keep them? Moveing must be such apain
                            Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=204.msg3244#msg3244 date=1287185987]one thousand and twelve! Where on earth do you keep them? Moveing must be such apain [/quote]
                              I keep them in shelves, though I must admit I'm running out of both shelves and house... And I don't even want to think about moving! xP

Comment

Working...
                              X