Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reading

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=204.msg5802#msg5802 date=1287771783]
    It's just because in Scandinavia it's usually a man's name and six years of studying Swedish have corrupted my mind..

And I definitely agree with you about the trilogy. I also thought that Lirael was somehow boring in the beginning.. Or well, boring is quite harshly said, but I mean it was really difficult for me to step into her shoes.
    [/quote]

I understand wholly. No worries. IRL I have a man's name so its not so insulting to be mistaken for one, especially online where you can't see my face and only have a man's name to go off of and an avatar of a medicine man wearing a bear skin. :P

As for me, Lirael was NOT at all the way I was as a teenage girl - I was more like Sabriel at least in her ability to really stand up. Lirael's constant pity party was annoying even at its lightest. Sam too was kinda a pain in the ass. I was a hardcore Sabriel and Touchstone fan, but I LOVED the Disreputable Dog. LOVED her.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=204.msg5878#msg5878 date=1287785968]
      I LOVED the Disreputable Dog. LOVED her.
      [/quote]

Was he actually she? O_o I've thought the dog was male......... or maybe my memory is as bad as my usage of prepositions. (we don't have the he/she thing in Finnish, just one word which is used for both of them, and I read the books in Finnish)

Comment

I have read a vast amount of books in my time but out of all of them I still love Piers Anthony books. If you wanted to start somewhere with Piers go with On A Pale Horse. If you liked that read the Xanth series I promise you wont be disappointed.

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=204.msg5882#msg5882 date=1287786995]
          Was he actually she? O_o I've thought the dog was male......... or maybe my memory is as bad as my usage of prepositions. (we don't have the he/she thing in Finnish, just one word which is used for both of them, and I read the books in Finnish)
          [/quote]

Oh, well in English I do recall the Disreputable Dog being called a "she."
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I like vampires. I have been looking for a good vampire novel or series of novels where all the main characters are adults and where there is one or two female vampires. I prefer female vampires. Does any one have any suggestions?
            I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=204.msg6006#msg6006 date=1287849899]
              Oh, well in English I do recall the Disreputable Dog being called a "she."
              [/quote]

*world collapses*

Quite funny misunderstanding, I'd say. I should probably read the books again now that I know.. to see if my image about the dog would change. :P

Comment

Most vampire books have a female main character, If you mean.lesbein vampires I think tanya huff has written acouple I forgett the name tho.
                Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=204.msg5795#msg5795 date=1287770777]
                  A lot of books for me to read. Does anyone know any good gay vampire books?I love vampire books,but I'm looking for some that have guy-guy relationships.something relatively approprite for a teenager with an actual plot and not just sex
                  [/quote]

My best suggestion is a teenage vampire series (because most of the other series I read that have vampires are heterosexual romance/fantasy novels) is the House of Night series by the mother-daughter pair, P.C. and Kristin Cast. There is one character in the beginning who is gay and if I remember right a relationship develops later in the series with him and another gay vampire. But the focus of the story is on a female character so I don't know if that helps you much. Since it is geared toward teenagers there is some *romance*, a little action, but a relatively small amount of sex (and once again most of said action takes place around the female character and her *boyfriends*). Perhaps some of P.C. Cast's other books would be more what you're looking for, but I really don't know anything beyond the fact that she has a more mature series out there that she wrote without her daughter.

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=AdamKane link=topic=204.msg6033#msg6033 date=1287853569]
                    I like vampires. I have been looking for a good vampire novel or series of novels where all the main characters are adults and where there is one or two female vampires. I prefer female vampires. Does any one have any suggestions?
                    [/quote]

The first book that comes to mind would be Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice

Comment

I've read all of the house of night and I'm just starting anne rice. Thanks,anymore?
                      Circe

Comment

Well, on the note of vampires I can repeat that Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is a favorite of mine and her Den of Shadows quartet is all about vampires. Her Kiesha'ra series is shapeshifters, but also very interesting. Once again, looking for gay material...it's lacking.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Can't quote right now but this is in response to AdamnKane's request for female focused vampire books.

As has been mentioned before, Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice is an excellent choice, and by the same author, read Pandora as well.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I read lots but I usually recycle the fictional books after reading (give them to the charity shop) all with the exception of my Graham Joyce novels which I keep because they are precious to me I also keep my craft/paganism books of course. But back on subject I usually read horror - Stephen King, James Herbert, Dean Koontz and Peter Straub being my regulars but my favourite book of all time is The tooth fairy by Graham Joyce.
                            Autumn
                            /|\

Comment

Most of the reading that I do lately is my craft textbooks, and that's mostly since I tend not to re-read something I've already been through. I do love Laurell K Hamilton though, both her Anita Blake series and the Meredith Gentry series. Also Kim Harrison, Poppy Z Brite, PC Cast, and there's a really good Nora Roberts series I just finished (3 sisters island).

I have a list...a long one, of authors that have done a series of vampire novel. I plan to eventually get them all.

Comment

I like the Wheel of time series. But the author died before the last book was published.
                                In the end all is one.

Comment

Working...
                                X