• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reading

?
    In the end all is one.

Comment

[quote author=Robert Valentine link=topic=204.msg13842#msg13842 date=1289927400]
      I like the Wheel of time series. But the author died before the last book was published.
      [/quote]
      I'm more than halfway through Towers of Midnight. Brandon Sanderson is doing a WONDERFUL job of continuing/finishing WoT. His writing does differ from Jordan's but he really is a great writer. His own stories (like Mistborn. OMGs that was good!)blow my mind. The Gathering Storm was amazing, and the Towers of Midnight is only that much better.

Comment

Science-fiction has be my favorite gainer. I do not think I could pick a favorite but author's I really like are - Jacqueline Carey, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind, Anne McCaffrey and Terry Pratchett.
        When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

Oh, I love poetry! I actually know Annabelle Lee and Ulysses by memory.

There are toons of awesome books out there that I've read. One of my most faves is Forever Amber, which I've been reading since I was 13. I also love the Tears of Artamon series. And stuff like You Don't Me and the Perks of Being a Wallflower, just to name a few.

Comment

I love to read books thanks to Corbin who was the first one to get me to read for enjoyment. I now have hundreds of books in my collection.
            Here is a list of some of my favorites.

1. Drawing Down The Moon by Margot Adler.
            2.Silverlock by John Meyers Meyers.
            3. Red Branch by Morgan Llywelyn.
            4. Jitterbug Perfume By Tom Robbins. (any book by him is good, I think I've read them all)

Now that I've looked at my list I see that Mr. B. deCorbin recommend most of them.

Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Everyone should read Drawing Down the Moon. Thank you for mentioning it, Monk.

I read what's popular. **shrug**

Usually around this time of the year I get onto this Anne Rice kick, because I'm all about some Vampire Chronicles. But I recently finished reading Blood and Gold and I was a little disappointed. And I really like Marius, for all his hidden frailties. Earlier stuff was better. An acquaintance had recommended reading the Mayfair Witches series (because she claims its better), and I just might do that.

Uh. I like Dan Brown's books. They're fun! So shoot me. :P

On the bed side table right now: Liber Aleph vel CXI.
              Um... philosophy just makes for good evening reading.
              There's actually a funny story behind this. My partner was reading it and I was like, "whatcha reading? what's it about? is it any good?" and he gets all huffy because he can't concentrate on his reading, so he flings the book, turns out the lamp and goes to bed. I pick up the book and start reading at it.
              Next day he's all like, "where's that Aleph book?" and I'm like "I'm reading it right now, and it's actually really fascinating."
              "Well... good."
              "And I'm gonna read all your Crowley books and eventually I'mma school you!! 8)" Do something.
              And he's all, "yeah, right" thinking he's some untouchable Adept.... probably is.... :-\

Okay, I'm gonna shut up. ._.

Comment

I generally like action-filled dark fantasy.
                My favorite series is the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm on the 10th book at the moment, which is Narcisuss in Chains. I'm barely reading it because I'm studying constantly. I'm halfway through the book though. It's incredibly...sexy...
                Yeah, that's the word lol
                I also like historical fiction as well, and books about people my age going through the same thing I am.
                One of the books that I have read over and over again is Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. It tells what I'm going through in almost scary detail. I was in tears by the time I finished the book because I fealt like someone had lived my life for a bit and was writing a book about what they saw.
                Another good book that I definitely recommend is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I can't even describe it, it's that awe-inspiring. It's a modern gothic novel. A definite must-read, though the beginning is a tad bit slow, if you're the kind of person who doesn't read a book that immediately hooks you in.
                Oh, and I'm a total poetry junkie. I have a 2-inch binder filled with poems I found that struck a chord in me. It's too hard to choose a favorite, though it would probably be something by Byron, or To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell
                The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

Comment

[quote author=Eglentyne link=topic=204.msg25299#msg25299 date=1293549720]
                  Everyone should read Drawing Down the Moon. Thank you for mentioning it, Monk.

An acquaintance had recommended reading the Mayfair Witches series (because she claims its better), and I just might do that.

[/quote]

Agree! I love the Mayfair Witches series. The Witching Hour, Taltos and Lasher are the first three then Blackwood farm kinda does the Vampire/Mayfair Witch combo

Comment

Christmas money=new books. Yea! ;D I got books 3&4 of the cronicals of Vladimir tod by heather brewer, the necromancer by michal scott and I have mihca on order (I think I spelled that wrong (hmm micha, micah?) its one of the anita blakes) I finished all of um except the 4th vlad tod. The necromancer was really suckish, a big book that nothing happened in. Still I wanted a full set. The third vlad tod was awesome (10th grade bleeds) surpriseing, good amount of emotion, and as always it was dark and bloody. Im thinking of getting my own copy of the brothers grim (I've been borowing my sister's)
                    [quote author=Ana_Avarice link=topic=204.msg26825#msg26825 date=1294176708]
                    [color=purple]I generally like action-filled dark fantasy.
                    My favorite series is the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm on the 10th book at the moment, which is Narcisuss in Chains. I'm barely reading it because I'm studying constantly. I'm halfway through the book though. It's incredibly...sexy...
                    Yeah, that's the word lol
                    [/quote]
                    Absolutely correct, I completely agree. Narcisuss in chains is probably my second favorite in the series and luv the ending
                    Circe

Comment

Finally I was able to start reading Ishmael (for the second time) now with Dumuzi! I am also reading an actual paper book by Nancy Collins: The Blue Sonja Collection.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I love to read and will give pretty much anything a go. At the moment I am on the final book of the Stieg Larrson Mellennium Trilogy. I found the first one hard going for the first few chapters but have been flying through them ever since. Would definitely recommend them.
                        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=204.msg26909#msg26909 date=1294205086]
                          Finally I was able to start reading Ishmael (for the second time)...
                          [/quote]

I need to get around to my second read. I haven't read the sequel either - have you?

I personally am reading, for the first time ever, The Gunslinger by Steven King. I hope I like it enough to wanna read the whole Dark Tower series.
                          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                          X