Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toothache remedies

Re: Toothache remedies

Clove oil comes to mind--its actually still used in modern dentistry for things like dry socket and temporarily relieving acute pain...also, spilanthes is reputed to be useful for toothache (but I've never used it).

1) Clove Oil Compress

Clove oil contains eugenol, a natural pain killer and antibacterial. Mix 2 to 3 drops of pure clove oil with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil. Saturate a cotton ball with the mixture and place the cotton ball beside the tooth.

If the toothache involves a molar at the back of your mouth, you can bite down gently on the cotton ball to keep it in place. Leave it there for as long as possible (but don't go to sleep with it in your mouth.) Pain relief should begin quite rapidly.

Side effects
    Undiluted clove oil inside the mouth can causing burning, tissue or nerve damage, and pain. In large doses, clove oil taken orally can cause vomiting, sore throat, seizure, difficulty breathing, kidney failure, or liver damage. Clove oil shouldn't be applied to broken skin.

Children, pregnant or nursing women, and people with diabetes, kidney or liver disease or bleeding disorders should avoid taking clove oil.

from http://altmedicine.about.com/od/heal...tootheache.htm

Also, you might try herbal rinses--make a strong decoction and gargling (and remember, proper gargling means a swish time of at least a minute! :P ), but most herbal rinses are more geared towards treating gingivitis, mouth sores, etc. Herbs such as sage, yarrow, chamomile, calendula, myrrh, and goldenseal (to name a few) are often mentioned for herbal dental care.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

It's not an herb, but Advil! (Ibuprophen) Worked like a charm for me while I was waiting for a root canal (ick!) last week.
      Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=215.msg1634#msg1634 date=1286890310]
        It's not an herb, but Advil! (Ibuprophen) Worked like a charm for me while I was waiting for a root canal (ick!) last week.
        [/quote]

lol, for almost everything I would agree, except when I needed my wisdom teeth out, nothing short of holding my face under icy cold running water *and* clove oil *and* 800 mg ibuprophen helped--but you can only do that for so long!

...really it probably depends on what kind of pain it is, and what is causing it. Almost, you best bet is probably just getting to the dentist ASAP.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, the dentist is out of the question, i really dont have the money to go.

I used ibuprofen, paracetamol and co-codemol yesterday which helped at little bit, but im gonna see if i can find some clove oil asap.

Comment

I've used clove oil, and it's great as a temporary fix - but if it's an abscess, you really need a dentist. The infection can possibly get into your jawbone, which is bad.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Go to the dentist and ignore the bill until you can pay it. They can't put the ache back in your tooth.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

I've done the swish my mouth with high proof vodka and it helps some.

But I do recomend the clove oil

Comment

I'd also recommend clove oil. Really helps me a lot when I have toothaches.
                  Although, I also have to recommend going to the dentist. Nothing is actually going to fix the pain except actually getting it treated. Is there any way you could work out a payment plan with a dentist? Never hurts to ask.
                  Hearth and Hedge

Comment

On one side of my mouth i have an abscess, and on the other just bad teeth. i generally get a toothache on the plain bad teeth side, and i tried clove oil. and it worked, for fifteen to twenty minutes. but mine are really bad, which could explain why it didnt work for long. dont ingest it, as it is poisonous (i think it says that on the bottle, that i had). it burns if it gets in your saliva, and its numbs brilliantly. i would use it until i had the chance to get some painkillers in to me. which would sometimes take half an hour:S lol. but i do also recommed oil of clove. i think you can buy it from most pharmacies.

Comment

Working...
                    X