Re: Reputation - how does this work?

So only we know our actual count now?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      So only we know our actual count now?

Quick answer: Yes.

But others can and do get a rough idea of how much you rep got, by seeing what the tag/description is on the little green bar(s). "...is on a distinguished road."

What Magus was looking for is the Rep Power... and all that does is show how much rep you can give or take away from someone when you click on their rep. It gives zero indication of how much rep anyone has. Just how much they can give.

What it boils down to is no more snooping in others' karma descriptions, no more karma wars/fests and a lot less 'competition' like the old karma LOL game. This style of Reputation will reflect each individual's own merit, much more accurately. Time on the forum, post counts and approval by others will ALL have a part in how it all plays out.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I notice when I view my rep I see the reasons etc. I also see either a green icon or a gray one. What's the difference?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I was noticing that too, Medusa. I'm assuming the green ones indicate rep that counted and the gray ones indicate the rep came from someone that doesn't yet have Rep Power.

I've also noticed that aside from green and gray, there's also red icons. AND, I've heard tell that those little bars accumulate, as rep increases. This is where I need to work on my patience.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Green is good
            Grey is neutral
            red is negative

I belive the colors are associated with the rep given. IE if somone had a negative opinion -- red

neutral about the post? -- grey

thought it was awesome? -- green
            It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
            -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I believe the bar in the "Settings" page is associated with the current rep status of the person giving the Rep. If someone is in the negative, their bar is red. If they are in the positives, it will be green. No rep to speak of? Gray.

I do not believe that a "disapprove" rep will show up red on the history page. The only reason I say that is because there are only two options. The neutral option is not there.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

thanks for the info guys...now I understand
                What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Something else that has come up, more than once, now, is that the Administrators have a Rep Power of 10. (I'd have to look to verify but I think that applies to all the staff, not just Admin.)

This was a default setting with vBulletin. And, if you think about it, makes absolute sense. If everyone started out with zero rep power, other people's rep wouldn't ever change when people clicked on it. We would all be stuck at zero until someone racked up a thousand posts. Then just THAT person would be changing people's rep points by just 1 point - except that it takes 50 points just to be able to change anyone else's Rep.

So: It would be an endless loop of zero/zero (Power and Rep) until someone hit 50,000 posts or 50 years residency, or some combination of the two, before anyone's Rep would start changing.

Since the staff members are the one's that moderate, they are also the one's to start the Rep system off.

Right now, we (the staff) are STUCK at 10 Power. No matter what our Reputation is (or isn't) we can't give any more or less than 10 points, per click. Whereas, all other members are unlimited with how much Power they can earn.

Thoroughly confused, yet?

UPDATE:
                  This limitation has been removed. Everyone's (staff and members, alike) Rep and Rep Power works the same, now.
                  Last edited by ChainLightning; 18 Nov 2012, 11:14.

Comment

yes, now I am :P

I noticed that DanieMarie tried to give me rep a while ago, but could not, was that because she had none at that time...is that how it works(ed) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Celest View Post
                      yes, now I am :P

I noticed that DanieMarie tried to give me rep a while ago, but could not, was that because she had none at that time...is that how it works(ed) ?
                      I think we've all seen a gray square or two in our 'who clicked my rep?' list.

Yeah, that just means they didn't have any Power to change our Rep, yet. I have to admit that I've been trying to give out Reputation Points kind of leberally, so the members will start building up some power. Their own Rep is going up but they haven't built any 'changing' power as yet.

That's where patience comes in. Being a two-fold system of Reputation rather ensures that the Karma Wars of the old days can't and won't happen. While it was fun to see Gesh with the most Applauds AND the most Smites, for instance? That system didn't really work as an indicator of forum reputation as much as it did a game.

Now: people build up others Reputation by how much reputation Power they, themselves, have earned. A staff member adds (or removes) 10 reputation points, with every click. Pardon me for snooping but I see that, right now, you have a Reputation of 20 and a rep Power of zero. When you, Celest, click on someone's rep, you'll change their rep by zero points. Three more staff members click on your rep, and your Power will go up to 1. Then hit 1000 posts? And your Power will go up to 2.

So, reputation Power "follows" the Reputation but it also grows by the number of posts you have and the amount of time you've been at PF (since the software change, anyway.)

That help?

Comment

So , is there any point of me clicking on someones rep until I have a power of 1 ?

Comment

So , is there any point of me clicking on someones rep until I have a power of 1 ?
                          Well, honestly? I don't really know. I'm HOPING that all of yours and, say, Danie's generosity will pay off, later, when your Power goes up. That all of those past clicks will then suddenly pay out, so to speak. We just haven't been able to verify that, really.

What I mean is, if you've handed out like 15 reputation/clicks, with zero Power - they haven't moved anyone's rep. But when you DO hit a Power of 1 or 2, then those old 15 rep clicks would all move up. I hope!! (And, really, I've been sort of banking on... trying to be an optimist, for once.)

Comment

you could give me 3 more clicks and we could test that theory..... (jk)

thanks for all the help Chain...must go feed the troops now.

Comment

you could give me 3 more clicks and we could test that theory..... (jk)

thanks for all the help Chain...must go feed the troops now.
                              I'm sorry. I was wrong. It took some snooping (Again, I apologize for scoping out people's Reputations) but it is not retroactive. Once you've (finally?) gained rep Power it does not go back and change any of your previous clicks, to start counting them (and thus start adding to people's rep).

The bright side, for you, Celest, is that you now have rep Power (!!!), as well as slightly higher Reputation. Thank you for your questions AND your help (and patience) in sorting out the answers.

Comment

Woohoo! Thanks Chain!

"I've got the Power! "

Comment

Working...
                                X