This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclectic Paths

What inspires your path? What is your advice on using different gods and goddesses from different pantheons? If you have an altar what do you put on it? Is their anything that makes your path uniquely yours?
    "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." -- Ken Keyes Jr.

Re: Eclectic Paths

Originally posted by TearDropStar View Post
    What inspires your path?
    Everything in the world around me ... That which is within my sphere of influence and everything further out ...

What is your advice on using different gods and goddesses from different pantheons?
    Many believe that mixing is a bad thing ... It is up to the individual ...
    If you have an altar what do you put on it?
    Rock chips, pieces of antler, amber, jet, an iron cauldron, incense, candles ...
    Is their anything that makes your path uniquely yours?
    ME ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

What inspires your path?

just about everything...but mostly "the elements", and by this I mean the classical elements, as they occur in nature, and how they interact in different things...although, I have an undue fascination and emphasis on water

What is your advice on using different gods and goddesses from different pantheons?

As long as you/me/that dude over there realizes that it will piss someone off and why, I really don't care what someone does or how they do it, provided that they have thought it out, and been able to make it work for them...and aren't all whiny about it when it offends someone (as opposed to disagreement, which is fine, even healthy).

I work with the archetypes and mythology of specific deities from different pantheons all the time...but I don't believe in their literal existence, so for [i]me[i] its not a big deal, and since I've never had any complaints to indicated that I'm wrong in my disbelief from any divine force, I certainly don't base my individual practices on what their believers might think of them.

anything I find interesting, inspiring or useful...I have everything from candles to bowls to shells, rocks, coral, horseshoe crab cases, herbs, etc on my altar

pretty much everything, but mostly, as Magus put it, ME
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

What inspires your path?
        Personal experiences, intuition, really just me.

My belief is that there is reincarnation. Yes new spirits are made every day, however, you do get reincarnated, when your spirit is ready (after the death of the body). They can take no time and jump right back in line, or they can wait a thousand years. It's up to the spirit when they're ready to continue on their path to perfection. Once a spirit achieves perfection they become a God/dess. I believe that all gods/desses exist from all traditions. They are separate entities. This includes the Abrahamic Gods/Jesus Christ. I believe actually that self sacrifice was the last thing that Jesus had to learn to achieve perfection and once he willfully took that by giving his life for mankind, then he became complete. However, I don't believe in a Hell or sin. I believe that the Gods/desses of The Underworld are the stewards/desses of the other side where spirits reside until they are ready to be reincarnated.

Now, because of this belief, I see no issue whatsoever with the mixture of Gods/desses from different pantheons. Even during a ritual. In my inner eye they are all the same, just a group of perfected spirits.

Now, of course, some Gods/desses are more jealous than others and don't like sharing. This is something that you will learn through your studies and experiences. They will let you know. It will be slight, such as not showing up for your ritual, or maybe you feel a slight bit of energy that lets you know one of them is not pleased sharing your time with another. This may be because (s)he doesn't interact well with the other, or because what they must do to assist you requires your full attention on them. You will know one way or the other whether it's a good idea to mix that one with the other, etc.

It really depends on what I'm doing/what is going on. If I'm doing a ritual, I will place an offering to whomever I'm trying to contact. If I feel I need a little more of any of them in my life, I will put an offering to them. If it's a time of year that naturally belongs to one, they will be on my alter at all times, even during a ritual. If I'm attempting to do a spell that is for a certain thing, I call upon the God that feels best to best help with my spell.

I believe every person has a Patron God/dess that best suits their personality and traits. I provide an offering at all times and always call upon my "patron", Demeter. I will always invite her to my rituals/spells. If she wants to come, she can. If she doesn't, she doesn't. But she is always welcome in my home, in my car, at work, randomly throughout the day, and in every ritual I perform. I ensure she knows this everytime I get a chance to speak to her.

Is their anything that makes your path uniquely yours?[/QUOTE]
        I have never heard/seen anyone with my same beliefs. I'm not Hellenic because I don't try to practice the same way that the Greeks did, nor do I only concentrate on them. They are the biggest spots in my path because I have been attracted to Greek Mythology since I was young (as in, 5 or 6 years old young). Which is kind of funny because I have absolutely zero Greek in my bloodline. All of it is Germanic/Celtic/that are of the world then the US.

I practice Magick, which isn't really done with Hellenics. I also believe in a Spirit Animal (mine is the Spider), which is also not a custom for them.

I would love to find someone like minded, at least in the general sense but have yet to find anyone, although I've only recently began being a part of online discussion forums for Pagans. It seems like more people fall within a more structured Paganism, whereas mine is VERY VERY free flowing.
        Last edited by Guest; 03 Mar 2011, 22:23. Reason: failed quote tags :/

Comment

What inspires your path?
          Nature, the weather, the elements, gardening.

It is up to the individual, I personally don't subscribe to God/Goddess beleifs, but I love some of the stories.

Stones,crystals candles, feathers, incense; something to represent each of the 4 directions.

It is mine. It changes and grows as I do.

(wow...look at that! I used the quotes properly.. )
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

What inspires your path?
            Lots of things, from just the beauty of nature to tales of Greek mythology.

I don't worry about it. As long as you don't call upon gods or goddesses would be opposed to one another I don't think there is an issue.

If you have an altar what do you put on it? Is their anything that makes your path uniquely yours?
            Mine is very simple: green candle, red candle, pentagram box, pentacle candle holder, incense stand, four tealight candles, an offering bowl and a fireproof pot.

Other things sometimes get added around certain dates and times.

Comment

What inspires your path?
              I believe that the Universe guides me along my path. For example if in my path it would help to read a certain book, I will find it somehow.. a friend will invite me to go to the bookstore for instance and it will attract my attention. I believe the Universe makes a way for me to achieve what I want from life. It makes the way and helps me find it, which is where my inspiration and intuition help me along.

Use what fits you, not what is easy. Learn. A lot. Don't stop. The more you learn about the different pantheons the more you will see your calling.

So this is my altar I finally have it all set up. On the left is a bowl that I made and it looks kinda childish but that is probably because I do not have a talent with paint what so ever lol. I have candles, incense, chalice, athame, pen, chalk, salt, stones, my nursing pin, and my college patch on the altar. On the right is my BOS. I also have some runes and a mortar and pestle that are not in this picture. Check out the Pagan Altar thread http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...Pagan-Altars-)

Everything. I believe in the Law of Attraction. I follow the Celtic deities. I read a book called "A Witch's 10 Commandments" and I follow that as my list of morals, on the old forum there was a thread about it and I can't find it.... I have a small group that I now belong to that is a non-traditional coven, I just go with the flow and let the Universe guide me. In a year I may tell you something COMPLETELY different, who knows!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TearDropStar
                What inspires your path?
                Everything in the natural world.

I don't, but I have no advice on this. It's an individual decision.

Statues of Hera, Aprhodite, and Artemis, crystals and other stones, a mirror stone, athame, wand, selenite blade, candles, flowers, feathers, fossils, rattle, crystal ball, rune stones, pendulum.

Me

Comment

What inspires your path?
                  I guess I would have to say The Great Spirit. God. The Great Mystery. The Divine. Whenever I am instilled with a sense of awe and humility for the blessings in my life, I am reminded that of the magnitude of the world around me, and the world beyond that one, and the possibility of one beyond that. The dance of nature and how the animals have so much to teach me about how to live life simply within the human experience - the fact that the predator is instilled with perfect judgement by killing only out of necessity. I interpret all these little tidbits as answers to my request for the Great Spirit to speak to me. These things inspire me.

I don't believe in specific gods. That aside, I feel a few very specific feelings about this:

1. If you believe a specific pantheon then you need to stick with it. If you're a Kemetic then leave Athena, Odin, and Krishna the hell alone. They don't belong to you.

2. If you believe in what the gods represent and do not belong to a particular pantheon, then I am lenient. This suggests that you do not worship the entity, only what they stand for, and since gods embody ideals and ideals belong to everyone, I am not bothered.

3. If you are simply searching and you're mixing and matching, then you need to stop being so desperate to slap a label onto your path and simply start walking, holding out your hand to see if anyone grabs on. I associate this one with searching, young, immature Pagans, whether it's fair or not.

Cloth, rocks, horns, bones, feathers, crystals, oils, dry potions, seashells, herbs, berries, dried flower petals. Things that remind me of question #1.

The fact that only I can explain it.
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

What inspires your path?
                    Nature and the universe.

What is your advice on using different gods and goddesses from different pantheons
                    There are some Goddess and Gods I do invoke but for the most part I think/pray in terms of nature. As in most cases this should be left up to the individual and his/her personal beliefs.

Candles representing the elements, Earth, Air, Fire, And Water. Athame, pentagram, incense, alter cloth, cup for wine, various candles, a bronze Calderon, crystals and gem stones, salt, and offerings.

Like many others have said "Me"
                    Last edited by Monk; 29 Mar 2011, 06:02.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

What inspires your path?
                      The universe, nature, dreams, the Welsh Mabinogion, Whitley Strieber's Communion books, quantum theory, myth, meditation, etc.
                      Forget what people say about what's right or what's wrong and go with your heart.
                      A god representation (which is a horned god door knocker I found at an antique store. lol), a goddess rep, an altar cloth I embroidered myself, a painted box of crystals, tarot cards, and other magical stuff. Candles. The usual.
                      As everyone else says, ME. lol.

Comment

A bit late, but what the hell, I'm bored.

What inspires your path?
                        A desire to be close to nature and its energies, even if I am basically a city-dweller.

In the first place, I would rethink the word "use." Gods are not tools nor toys. You work with them and treat them with respect and reverence, you don't use them the way you'd use a wrench or a chisel.
                        Anyway, I say just use common sense. In my experience, if gods from different pantheons have similar or, ideally, common interests, then they will interact with each other well when you pray to them. My patrons are Gaia and Cernunnos. They come from different pantheons, even ones that were once at odds with one another, but both are Earth Gods and they treat each other and myself just fine. I would not, however, advise calling Ares and the Morrigan into the same circle, for example.

Anything pertinent to what I'm doing and/or whom I'm worshiping or asking for favors. Commonly you will find typically Wiccan tools on my altar, as I consider myself influenced by Gardner and the Farrars - Athame, wand, pentacle, cup, cauldron, broom, censer, salt, water, incense, candles, Goddess and God representations (be they candles or images), offering bowl, oils, powders, herbs, infusions, rocks, antlers, symbols of the season.

Yeah, it's mine.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

What inspires your path? What is your advice on using different gods and goddesses from different pantheons? If you have an altar what do you put on it? Is their anything that makes your path uniquely yours?
                          Well, I'm not eclectic, but I was for awhile... and if I tend to keep to one tradition, it's only out of personal choice. Not because I don't accept other cultures. I think you really just need to ask yourself what contradicts and what doesn't. Some people don't even think Christianity contradicts paganism. Some will incorporate Kabbalah! They see no contradiction there. Others may go so far as to say that the Gods of their particular culture are the only Gods. Ultimately, when you decide to mix, you have to ask yourself; is there a conflict between these two?
                          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I think I am most inspired just by what 'feels right'. I know that sounds like about the simplest answer that could possibly be given, but I take cues from what I do every day and how I know I think and feel about certain things, and I try to integrate that into my beliefs system. I end up with something that is uniquely me and doesnt really fit a certain mold.

I think the gods you follow, be they from the same pantheon or different ones, are something that you have to think about yourself. Your religion is a very personal decision, and that includes the gods you follow. In that respect, the best and most simple advice that I can really give there is just to do what feels right to you. In my case, I meditated on it and waited to see who/what spoke to me and worked for me.

I don't have an altar set up right now, mainly because I am planning for a move and just really havent gotten my room fully functional for anything other than sleep right now. When I had one set up, I tended to change it around often, so I can't really pinpoint just how I set it up. I have crystals and other stones, feathers, candles and other such things that I often use, just as I'm sure others do.

I think the thing about identifying as eclectic is that everyone who identifies as eclectic has a path that is inherently unique. The entire point of eclecticism is that it's not for everyone and most people who are eclectic mesh things together because they probably couldn't find something that fit them properly and had a name. My own path has several different elements--aspects of kemeticism and buddhism and even a little bit of celtic influence. Part of that has to do with what I know of my own family history and how I was raised, and the rest of it is just my beliefs and what I found just happened to work best for me. As I said earlier, I tend to do a lot of meditating, and that helps me with a lot.
                            It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                            -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Working...
                            X