Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Originally posted by kijani View Post
    To Bind, or Not to Bind? That is the question...
    E-Book of Shadows

This option is definitely growing in popularity, especially since this generations Pagans have pretty much grown up with a computer. This is exactly what it sounds like--a computer-based Book of Shadows. These can be organized just as we discussed above, but are generally kept on a computer, a laptop, or some sort of external storage device (that can be used on a computer). There are several pros and cons to this option.

PROS:

-This option is neat. You'll never have to worry about whether or not you'll be able to read what you wrote a year down the road.

-You can color code things with the simple click of a mouse. This is always handy.

-This option is really easy to transport via thumb drives and external hard-drives. You can save your Book as a pdf file. If you need to, you can even print pages.

-Your Book of Shadows is always on hand if you really need it, especially if, like me, your computer goes just about everywhere with you.

CONS:

-Unless you print your pages, outdoor rituals, spells, etc can be difficult if your Book of Shadows is on your laptop.

-With a computerized Book of Shadows, you've got less options to add those special little personal touches.

-What if your computer crashes or your files somehow get corrupted? You better hope you've backed up all of your files a few times. If not, you've just lost all of the work that you've put into your Book.
    How can I make an E-book?I have multiple files on my laptop that I coud use,and 61 pages in a binder...are there any computer programs to make an E-book?

Comment

There are various programs that are 'organizers' of sorts for that kind of information. There's even a scanner out now that will organize things as you scan them so that you can key-word search for them later. You could even do something like putting your information into some sort of power-point program or other database things. You could even use a locked LiveJournal account or something like that and organize your info that way. People publish chapters of e-books that way as well. It really all depends on your personal taste-- What all you intend to do with it, whether or not you want it to be public, etc.
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Back after a nice hiatus!

We're going to hit on various different aspects of BoS creation in this thread. In the meantime, if any of you have your own tips/tricks to add, feel free. This can seem like a pretty daunting task to a first-timer organizing their first book, so hopefully this thread helps just a little bit.
        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
        -Adam Lambert

Comment

I'm so glad that you posted this! I have been meaning to create my BOS for months now. This just may have finally inspired me to start.
          Leah: The Kind Weight Watcher (vegan WW blog)

"Yesterday is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today, well-lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope." --Sanskrit

Comment

I wish I would keep up with my BoS. I have started 3 of them. I do really well for a couple of weeks and then I go way off track.

However, I was thinking about doing one on the computer, printing everything out as I go and binding them together and the end of every year.
            sigpic

Comment

Mine is both on the computer and printed into a binder. When I feel comfortable with the information on a page I print it and put it in a three ring binder in sheet protectors. I also keep a record on my flash drive and computer along with "in progress" pages. Mostly right now I have a page on each of the major holidays, folowed by recipes and chants that go along with that holiday. Right now it's just the Wiccan holidays, but I plan to add sections on other holidays in other cultures as well as seasonally accurate recipes for that area.

I have a lot more ready to print off, including a "dedication page" which for me is meandering (check spelling) development of religious thoughts, many of which prolly only make sense to me and would take some deep rewording for others to understand. And a page that includes all the people important to me and important dates for them, ei. birthdays, anniversaries, etc. which helps cause I can never remember dates. Oh, and a section on astral projection cause I always found that interesting.

There's suprisingly little "magic" to my BoS. I think I've included one ceremony so far. But I am doing a pre-wedding, handfasting type ceremony in a year that I'll prolly include.

I must admit, I used the BoS section of teenwitch.com to get me started. It provides a list of things that are generally, sometimes, though not always and not all, included in a BoS and it was a great starting point for me.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Yeah, a BOS can be of great value, when i was a Satanist, I had one, but that was... well I guess magick for bad, so when i became a Wiccan today, I threw it out. I am meaning to get a new one.

Comment

small-fry, first of all, Satanism as I know it has nothing to do with that. Secondly, the comment doesn't really contribute to the content and purpose of this thread.
                  -Adam Lambert

Comment

I have a slate cover BoS, not made by me unfortunately but it's so pretty Wanna add my own touches to it a little, but it's so beautiful as it is so I'm gonna make another one for rough work and creating my own spells and rituals
                    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Three ring binder. Used to keep it on the comp or a removable device but it was too easy to lose stuff and I couldn't always take my PC with me so paper it is.

Comment

My BoS is a handmade camel leather book with around two hundred pages in it. I will try to find the name of who made it as it was made to be able to replace the pages as needed. You can also get new bindings for when you outgrown the book but want to keep all the pages. It is very handy and Ill look for the maker of it and post it here.

On the note of organization, the method I have used use is like a reverse index. The book has a title page and is followed by six pages, each describing (in my case) a particular craft. On the reverse of each of these pages is a list of recipes or workings that correspond to the page it is on the reverse of as well as what page it is found on.

For example,

Title Page - Alchemy and Tea Crafting

Index pages:
                        Elixirs
                        -> Mother Elixir pg1
                        -> No More Nightmares Elixir pg4

Medicinal Teas
                        -> Migraines and headaches pg2

Tinctures
                        -> Mint pg3
                        -> Saint Johns wart pg5

Tonics
                        -> and on

Essences
                        -> and on

Charms
                        -> and on

I think it is the most concentrated effort Ive ever had at organization LOL! Anyways, I hope it helps.

Peace and Love,
                        ~Danial

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                          I have a slate cover BoS, not made by me unfortunately but it's so pretty Wanna add my own touches to it a little, but it's so beautiful as it is......
                          If you want to dress it up without changing the cover, you could make up a nice, decorative title page - draw, paint, paste, print - whatever you like!

Here's a link to a book you can read on line or download. It has pictures of decorative title pages from printed books to give you ideas: http://www.archive.org/details/moder...tive00steprich
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My partner is a book binder, and I have not-so-subtly hinted that I would like a Book of Shadows for a Yule gift... ok, I just straight up asked for it. He's told me before that he would love to make BOS's for people, so really I'm just giving him the opportunity I'm requesting that it be divided into a few different sections, not sure how many yet. I could either go really detailed with my categories or keep it pretty open. Other than that, I'm leaving the details like colours and materials up to him. *Squeal* I can't wait for December!

You can see his beautiful books on his Etsy page <link removed> (a wee bit of promotion ^_^). They're expensive, but trust me, he puts a lot of work and love into each of them. In the least, you can drool over the pretty!
                            Last edited by Juniper; 01 Nov 2011, 13:58. Reason: Please contact this member in private for the link

Comment

I have a title page already, my artist skills failed me so it's not very good, I might weave ribbon around the binder to make it a little brighter when I can
                              "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                              - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I've been thinking... I keep my grimoire in a three-ring binder using sheet protectors so I can not only protect the pages but add multiple things to a page. It kind of comes across a little formal when I want it to be a little more creative and original, so I'm thinking about doing a smash book type thing in some areas. I want to keep everything together, though - makes it easier to escape a burning building with

Comment

Working...
                                X