Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Danial, that's definitely a neat system. I do something kind of similar to that. It works pretty well, but my philosophy has always been 'whatever works', and everyone's idea of organization is a little bit different. I like that, though.

Also, Raph, I think that is a really cool idea. I'd like to do something like that as I rebuild my own book, but I'm a little afraid of losing things or something lol. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to go for it?
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I have a bos with leather bindings and blank pages. As mentioned before, the scarcity of pages is starting to become an issue.
      I haven't really thought about what I'm going to do when they're all used up. BoS: volume 2?

Comment

Yeah. I just continue on when I fill one book. One day, I would like to have one big book, but I feel like I will never be finished adding things really, so I dont want to spend that kind of money on something super nice until I know it will be used fully. Does that make sense?
        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
        -Adam Lambert

Comment

Just wanted to add in my two cents here, as to what's worked for me. I've tried the 3-ring-binder and online setup; honestly they really do bother me. They are bulky and fickle and just tend to get in the way.

In the end, I opted to get a few small black leather journals and segregate them according to their content. Let's face it, no one journal is going to be enough to hold all of your information over the years.

So one journal is designated for the basics: ethics, statements, faith declarations, colour association, number association, lunar cycles, basic animal speak concepts, physical earth interpretation (the significance of hill types), etc... Things I work with on a daily basis that tend to require only a look-over if I'm curious. Just a side note to anyone who is interested in making a small reference shadow book like this, gather your information before you start writing so you know how much space you'll need. And leave a few pages after each section just in case you want to add something to it in the future. It also gives you an idea of how big a journal to get in the first place, and how you want to arrange your sections.

I have two designated for Tarot, one has my accumulated interpretations over the years and the other has my recorded readings and interpretations of those spreads (including what was going on in my life at the time).

One for my oracle cards, similar to the Tarot journal but the interpretations and personal readings are combined into the one journal.

One for Runes, which has the basic interpretations, my experiences, my meditation results and setups, rituals, lore, history, poems, stories, etc... in it.

Another that combines herbs, crystals, and the methods used to work with each of them (I add to it whenever I use or find a new crystal/herb to work with).

One recipe book; which includes food association interpretations.

And one ritual book; which includes everything from rituals to talismans and my experiences with them.

It does seem like a lot, but it really is far more organized than keeping a gigantic binder and trying to leaf through it, or dragging a laptop with you wherever you do your rituals. All you have to do is grab the one book that you'll be referencing and run off with it to wherever your destination requires. Despite how many books this looks like, all of them combined only take up about a foot of shelf space and they look very elegant sitting next to each other.

I'm also a sucker for handwriting my own books, I feel it puts more meaning into them for me and the most important aspect of my life. Just an aside, if you do opt to go down this route be sure that the journals you buy are good quality. Nothing is more annoying than having to rewrite your journals because a bunch of the pages decided to dislocate themselves from the spine. I'll recommend a few here, but be sure to read the reviews of any journals you buy if you haven't already had experience with it. You don't need a spend a fortune for quality either, if you go simple.

Barnes and Noble Moleskin Journal: $9

Barnes and Noble small tie journal: $12
          Last edited by Willow; 24 Nov 2011, 10:46. Reason: Syntax... I think faster than I type.

Comment

I actually like the idea of breaking things up like that. It seems like it would also give a little bit more wiggle room for additions as well, rather than trying to do everything in one book. I myself have a smaller leather book that I'm using now, but I do a combination of the above that have already been talked about.
            -Adam Lambert

Comment

Exactly, there's a lot of room left over for the inevitable updates, additions, and evolution. Plus if you run out of room, there's always the option of buying another journal to add as Volume II without it looking tacky or cluttered.

Comment

One other technique that I've found pretty interesting (not just for organization but for looks) is color-coding your books... which can also be fun if you organize as you've described. Green journal for herbs, red for ___, black for ____ . Looks kinda neat on the bookshelf. But that's just a random thing to do. Also makes it easier if you don't like to write on your covers our otherwise outwardly identify your books.
                -Adam Lambert

Comment

Hm, that crossed my mind once (briefly) but at the time I was picking up my journals all the store had was black and brown. Most of my journals are of different models, so there is some variation between them. Maybe when I need to grab a new one...

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                    Exactly, there's a lot of room left over for the inevitable updates, additions, and evolution. Plus if you run out of room, there's always the option of buying another journal to add as Volume II without it looking tacky or cluttered.
                    This is why for my rituals I have no problem binding my own books. Depending on how long they are it's relatively easy to do even for the layman, and it gives me a chance to create a special box for them.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

Reading through the thread it doesn't seem this option for binding has been mentioned. While I currently use a notepaper in a three ring binder, I will shortly be transferring everything into a new BoS with a post screw system. Often you can find these pre-made on Etsy or other places that come with a set amount of paper and then you can add your own. Or you can make you own books out of wood, leather (for leather covered hardback books balsa wood or heavy cardboard works) or just using a heavy grade leather for a soft journal/book. And you drill/punch holes through the material and all the pages and fasten everything with post screws. If you're making a leather covered book, you can even hide the post screws on the outside by putting the leather over it! This is nice because it has the nice look of a wooden or leather bound journal but also has the functionality of a three ring binder allowing you to add and rearrange pages.
                      I see LOVE where others see only WEEDS

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by small-fry666 View Post
                          Yeah, a BOS can be of great value, when i was a Satanist, I had one, but that was... well I guess magick for bad, so when i became a Wiccan today, I threw it out. I am meaning to get a new one.

i may be wrong but I was always under the belief that satan was a creation of christianity.. and therefore satanism has nothing to do with paganism etc.
                          And satan is just another name for lucifer who was the fallen angel who rebelled against the christian god for creating humans. This was what a lady who ran our local sunday school told me.

Comment

Thanks for bumping this I am starting my spiritual journal scrapbook this weekend.

Comment

Gahh D: This reminds me how much I need to get back to working on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chezzielou View Post
                                i may be wrong but I was always under the belief that satan was a creation of christianity.. and therefore satanism has nothing to do with paganism etc.
                                Satanism as it is usually understood and practised in the modern day is LaVeyan Satanism, founded in 1966 by Anton LaVey. It is an occult religion with the same two main roots as Neopaganism: the Western occult tradition (which experienced a revival in the late 19th century through the 20th century), and the American 1960s Counterculture. It also practises magic, but with stronger roots in Crowley and Hermetic Golden Dawn mysticism, and with highly egoist philosophy resembling Ayn Rand. I wouldn't call their brand of magic "bad"; just highly focused on the Self.

Comment

Working...
                                X