Writers Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writers Block

Use this thread to get help or give help to those with writers block!

Oh gods I have writers block! I have an idea for a setting but no characters and no plot. Help please! I can give you the setting if you need, but I just need a plot

Re: Writers Block

Well, what's quick run-down of everything? That might help us help you
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I find just keep writing helps. Writers block doesn't go away on its own. X
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

It's the year 2011. In 1962 was the Cubin Misile Crisis, only it wasn't avoided. There was a nuclear war, starting from that catalyst, and following that was a nuclear winter. So now the world has changed, and is stuck in the mindset of Teh late 50s. Crops failed massively, population decreased significantly both from the initial war and the fallout (crops failing, fear and hatred), technological advancement has slowed.

Comment

So, it sounds like first you want to develop your conflict. Here's what I'm seeing for potential conflicts:

-Man vs. Nature (post-apocalyptic world with probably massively depleted resources)
          -Man vs. Man (I see the potential for several conflicts with other "factions" to exist)
          -Man vs. Mind ('50's hysteria is where I'm thinking)

To determine which conflict(s) you'll want to use, you'll really want to think about if there's a message overall or at least something for your reader to think about. It doesn't even have to be an incredibly complex idea at this point. For example, if you went with the hysteria idea you could use a theme of how hysteria is a vice whereas independent thinking is a virtue. It doesn't even have to go as far as a social commentary; it can stay confined to a character or two successfully.
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

I get writers block all the time. I usually read something. i found this http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/ and it gave me ideas for most of my characters. Reading a psychology textbook is highly useful for reduceing writers block. Maybe im just weird but I think the endless dribble of textbooks(especially psychology, science, and history) is thought provokeing :/
            Circe

Comment

Why don't you watch some movies along similar lines? Or do some research on the time period that your world would have originated at? Maybe use that info to make what I call an "inspirational collage" (I seriously do this on my desktop from a combo of internet pics and paint when I'm trying to write)--a map of where you want to set it, people that have the "look" of what you think your characters might look like, items, places, etc that you find inspiring.

Lemme dig one of mine out as an example...

...this was entirely made from an online free website developer, with clip art and stuff from the net
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

i kinda like that^
                Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                  -Man vs. Nature (post-apocalyptic world with probably massively depleted resources)
                  -Man vs. Man (I see the potential for several conflicts with other "factions" to exist)
                  -Man vs. Mind ('50's hysteria is where I'm thinking)
                  I think you forgot the all important man vs zombies. Or does that count as man vs man...

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Maybe use that info to make what I call an "inspirational collage" (I seriously do this on my desktop from a combo of internet pics and paint when I'm trying to write)--a map of where you want to set it, people that have the "look" of what you think your characters might look like, items, places, etc that you find inspiring.
                  Love this idea, going to try it out next time I get a bit of an idea for a story.
                  Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I find that webbing helps get plots out. Write out all ideas and anything related to those ideas no matter how remote then play connect the dots and see how things fit together. From there you can play with different plot ideas and get it down to a workable outline. This also helps getting the writing going by 'just writing', which is something I'll do as well. Story not coming out; blog, write article, or make a rant about a topic, go back to story.
                    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

Thanks for all theses great ideas guys Now I'm thinking about warring factions with, a little bit of 50s hysteria thrown in. Oooh, so many ideas! Thanks, this is just what I needed. thalassa, I love the collage. It's beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by PharaohKatt View Post
                        Thanks for all theses great ideas guys Now I'm thinking about warring factions with, a little bit of 50s hysteria thrown in. Oooh, so many ideas! Thanks, this is just what I needed. thalassa, I love the collage. It's beautiful
                        You're welcome, and it helps me feel like my degree wasn't a total waste. Keep 'em coming
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                        X