This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you Thal!--The Steampunk Thread

Stumbled this and I totally thought of you!
    Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: For you Thal!

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=225.msg1825#msg1825 date=1286921923]
    Stumbled this and I totally thought of you!
    Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.

[/quote]

I know I already said so...but I totally love this.

In fact...I think I will make this the steampunk thread...lol
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

That hat is awesome.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

What a courgeous hat that is. O_o I'm in love.

Comment

That is the sort of hat that I wish lived in my wardrobe. In fact I wish all my clothes were like that hat *dribbles*
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Ooooh...

;D

Prettyful!

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=225.msg2804#msg2804 date=1287104240]
              I know I already said so...but I totally love this.

In fact...I think I will make this the steampunk thread...lol

[/quote]

....done, since you hadn't

Comment

Re: For you Thal!--The Steampunk Thread

Oh my that is one breautiful hat!
                I love the steam punk fashion atm, alchemy gothic are doing some amazing accessories.. i'm just waiting for more pennies *sulk*
                being at uni is expensive

Comment

when this was made the steampunk thread, does that mean we can talk about anything steampunk? cause i wouldnt mind showing off a pic or two of me when i went steampunk at a convention over the summer

Comment

[quote author=CabbageTheif link=topic=225.msg3818#msg3818 date=1287321817]
                    when this was made the steampunk thread, does that mean we can talk about anything steampunk? cause i wouldnt mind showing off a pic or two of me when i went steampunk at a convention over the summer
                    [/quote]

yes...yes it does!! ;D
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, that hat is so cool ^_^

A friend of mine makes steam punk jewellery, and it was pimped by Cory Doctorow ^_^
                      shameless plug for her: http://www.darknouveau.com.au/

Also, question, can anyone recommend any good steam punk movies? All I've managed to find is Wild Wild West (which I don't like) and Steam Boy (which is AWESOME).

Comment

this first one has me with my mask down. i am on the far left.
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

group shot of just the men! i am crouching in the front
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

third, similar to the second but with old timey brown

i dont own any of these photos, i had to search for them online. which begs the question 'why did you offer if you didnt have them, zach?' well.... cause i get excited first then think after.

Comment

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=225.msg3828#msg3828 date=1287323473]
                          Also, question, can anyone recommend any good steam punk movies? All I've managed to find is Wild Wild West (which I don't like) and Steam Boy (which is AWESOME).
                          [/quote]

I think there are a lot of movies that capture the feel, even if they don't fit the era precisely.

For instance (and I know a lot of people didn't like it) I think Ven Helsing did a good job capturing part of the feel, personally. All of the great horror icons were Victorian constructs.

Other movies that I enjoy the aesthetic of, but some people might disagree with me vehemently on.

The most recent Sherlock Holmes
                          Atlantis and Treasure Planet from Disney
                          The Prestige
                          The Indiana Jones Movies and Hellboy (even though they're too late--diesel punk? )

I'm big on the sense of adventure, an age where there were still corners of the world unexplored, personally, though. If you really want some good concepts, read!

Tarzan of the Apes
                          Anything by Jules Vern
                          H.G Well's Time Machine
                          The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (caution with this one, very graphic--I like the movie, too, but I'm be honest, it's darn silly). Better yet, use the references as a reading list.
                          The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Music I'd recommend:
                          Vernian Process
                          Abney Park
                          Unextraodinary Gentlemen (although their violinist is terrible)
                          Dr. Steel
                          Rasputina
                          Late Romantic classical music--
                          Paganini (the man made women swoon when he played, and was said to have sold his soul to the devil for his skills, I have a private fantasy of Paganini with mechanical fingers, in order to play so fast!)
                          Schubert
                          Donizetti
                          Wagner (the source of the stereotype of the chubby singer in the Valkyrie costume)
                          Rossini
                          Lalo (excellent violin concerto)
                          Smetana ( nationalist, look for Ma Vlast [my country])
                          Dvorak

Cutting the list short, there...for now....or else I'll go on all day :

Comment

Thank you Deseret
                            Looks like I have a lot of reading/viewing to do

Comment

Some useful Steampunk clothing links, for ideas if nothing else--

Wild West Mercantile

Aether Emporium Wiki

The Five and Diamond

Gypsy Moon Clothing
                              The Edwardian Promenade
                              Victorian Era Online
                              Emily Way Hats

Comment

Working...
                              X