This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For you Thal!--The Steampunk Thread

Oh, and before I forget--great costume CT!!!!

I still need to get it together enough to have a con-worthy outfit. First priority is a decent corset.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

There was a TV show back in the late 60's or early 70's called "Wild, Wild West." You could say it was pre-steampunk steampunk. The idea of the series was made into a movie staring Will Smith, and the steampunky-ness was brought out a bit more.

The series on the SciFi channel, Warehouse 13, has a steampunk feel to it sometimes. I think it's a really cool style...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Who love steampunk? Me, Me, Me!

[quote author=CabbageTheif link=topic=225.msg3848#msg3848 date=1287326400]
        this first one has me with my mask down. i am on the far left.
        http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e3...steampunk1.jpg

group shot of just the men! i am crouching in the front
        http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e3...steampunk2.jpg

third, similar to the second but with old timey brown
        http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e3...steampunk3.jpg

i dont own any of these photos, i had to search for them online. which begs the question 'why did you offer if you didnt have them, zach?' well.... cause i get excited first then think after.
        [/quote]

Awesome pics, CT! I was so close to going to one this summer too.....if I remember correctly you are in Canada? Was that at the Victoria convention this summer??
        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=225.msg4378#msg4378 date=1287430564]

Awesome pics, CT! I was so close to going to one this summer too.....if I remember correctly you are in Canada? Was that at the Victoria convention this summer??
          [/quote]

as a matter of fact, no. i am in america, not canada. the convention was Otakon, known as an anime convention and the largest of its kind on the east coast. but... steampunk is slowly taking it over >

also, for a list of things to read check out Girl Genius. it is a webcomic, and the style and feel of it is amazing... the initial story can be a little confusing because they give no warning, no explenation. they just start the story as if sparks, clanks, and other terms are just everyday words (they get explained IN CONTEXT as the story progresses). i like a story like that over something which opens with a narrator going "in this world there are things. these things are important to the setting, and are central to the plot. related in some fashion to these things is this main character, who feels strong feelings about such things (whether positive or negatively so). "

anywho, linky: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

Comment

I think, once I have my basic CW wardrobe settled, I'm going to move on to Neo-Victorian, and make it steampunkable.
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=CabbageTheif link=topic=225.msg4541#msg4541 date=1287448138]
              as a matter of fact, no. i am in america, not canada. the convention was Otakon, known as an anime convention and the largest of its kind on the east coast. but... steampunk is slowly taking it over > [/quote]
              My mistake. And cool....here I was thinking I was the only Steampunk nerd around here. :P

sigpic

Comment

oops dup

sigpic

Comment

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59042482...-hat-or-sewing I made this Cog and Clock hatbox about a week ago!

A lot of the stuff in my shop is steampunk inspired. I love the genre! I don't dress that way, but I aspire to have at least one entire room steam-ified. Maybe a study...hmmmm.....
                  If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                  --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

This thread is made of awesome.
                    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=225.msg4547#msg4547 date=1287448476]
                      My mistake. And cool....here I was thinking I was the only Steampunk nerd around here. :P
                      [/quote]

Hah....no, apparently not. I tried starting a thread on Steampunk a year or two ago, but it never really took off.

Comment

I haz this corset (in different colors)

...and I think I could rock it out lady botanist style with this eminently practical skirt, and add a (small) detachable bustle.

...check out the steampunk botanist

...and here's another one
                        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all for the education. As one of the older generation, I had no idea what steampunk was until I found this thread. I've seen and heard the term, but was basically clueless.

Comment

I think Scott would make an awesome steampunk pirate...

Steampunk pirate coolness:

http://thesteampunkhome.blogspot.com...k-pirates.html (for the kids)
                            This Instructable shows you how easy it is to turn a cheap plastic squirt gun into a much fancier, more realistic accessory for cosplay, using faux wood

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Check out the eye patch...

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=225.msg4830#msg4830 date=1287502230]
                                Check out the eye patch...
                                [/quote]

Wow...that is honestly kinda sexy.

Comment

Working...
                                X