X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For you Thal!--The Steampunk Thread

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=225.msg26388#msg26388 date=1293970482]
    I actually have two of that gun in my home.
    [/quote]

(at least you don't have two of that corset in your house...unless they are for your wife )

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=225.msg26388#msg26388 date=1293970482]
    I've seen the n-strike maverick repainted so many times for cosplay it's almost ridiculous. It's a wonderful little prop and only $9.
    [/quote]

yay! now I have a project to do!!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

ha! i wish. Although the (admittedly less awesome) corset she does have makes me very happy indeed on certain special occasions. [/derail]
      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

[quote author=BunnyMaz link=topic=225.msg26381#msg26381 date=1293963512]
        No Prof. Elemental love here, yet?

[/quote]

Yep, I put him up in the weeks preceding the crash on a "What are you watching" thread, lol.

Just for you

[youtube]0iRTB-FTMdk[/youtube]
        [youtube]
        eELH0ivexKA&feature=channel[/youtube]

I'm not a morning person. It's Elemental, Abney Park, and rock like Nightwish and Apocolyptica at 6am in our house. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

;D ;D ;D

Lovely!

Comment

That is one amazing piece of head gear!
            Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Essentail Items for the steampunk/neo-victorian home:

Gramaphone entertainment center
              very cool lights
              Wall phone
              the coolest flooring ever--though I think I'd make it a wall treatemnt (diy)
              the household data center (this is a site most steamy afficianados should already have seen)
              for iphone users
              book bookshelves
              the butler alarm-clock (just for amusement's sake)
              you can even get a Victorian aesthetic fan
              praxinoscope
              the ridiculously expensive but fantabulous chair
              way cool furniture
              modern functioning but Victorian aesthetic stove

(sadly most all of this stuff is expen$$$ive, but some of it is translatable for DIY, scavenging for, or worth saving up for...)

Other randomness:
              some cool steampunk stuff
              a steampunk LJ group
              a steampunk house (I think this was mentioned pre-crash, but it might be a link on here too somewhere)
              nifty article with cool pic slideshows)
              NYT steamy article

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Personal plug time! Come oggle the Innovative Society of Victorian Irregulars. Not too shabby for starting out with a Craigslist ad I put up last fall, eh?

...it would also explain why I've been rather busy lately....
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I *love* the punching thingy...
                  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlg-p3RfRYY&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

And...steampunk bellydance

ETA: there are also a bunch of steampunk DIY how-tos via threadbanger on youtube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxRdDjp67g&feature=related[/youtube]

sigpic

Comment

I realize this thread is kind of old, but I just wanted to say thanks guys! I have had kind of an interest in steampunky stuff for awhile now, but have had trouble finding good lists of books and movies in the genre. Then I read this thread and remembered, "Hey! Somewhere on my bookshelves are books I bought for this reason! Where are my Jules Verne and H.G. Wells novels?!" So now I'm going to run off to find those. And can I just mention...the store I work in now sells an engraved silver pendant watch necklace and I WANT. I hate wrist watches, so I won't wear them, and this thing is so darn classy looking!

Comment

I am having a time finding old watches ... Everything is electric ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I don't think I quite qualifying as a steam-punker, although I do live very much in a bygone age. Apart from my kitchen - I'm done with cooking on a range! But apart from that everything we have in the house is really old - some of it a few centuries old. So I suppose you could say that the fantasy element is missing (although that picture of the girl in the leather corset and wielding a very strange copper and brass gun reminded me that I have a WW1 flare gun that looks almost exactly like that.)

Maybe I'm not so much a steam punker as a retro-punker. Or an antique/fossilised steampunker.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Awesome steampunk hearts!!!

Comment

a friend of mine linked this on her FB as "steampunk gone wrong"
                            sigpic

Comment

a steampunk thread?! exellent!!

Comment

So...we have a smaller, family-friendly sci fi/fantasy con coming up here in Jan, of which the theme is alien-zombie apocalypse.

We've decided to do a sort of futuristic dieselpunk entirely (or mostly) out of "found" items...so, like...coldwarpunk? (I've found a few things I want to use as accessories from Soviet military surplus sites) I've been asked to do a no-sew costume making workshop, so I figure my getup would fit.

Think Fallout3 meets dieselpunk.

The *plan* (for my outfit) is a duct tape waist cincher with a sort of poodle skirt type of skirt from fused plastic (yay, shopping bags) and one of those striped Russian military shirts, sort of ripped up and resewn (by hand) to look "altered". I think I'm going to make a pillbox hat with veil from one of those cardboard "cans" like nuts and stuff come in, and the mesh bag from onions or potatoes. I'm really not sure about are shoes...but I was thinking something thrift store with bottle caps.

For the hubby, I was thinking sort of "cowboy" with a fused plastic vest and some chaps from cardboard and duct tape, with an old military surplus leather bombadier style helmet. And we were thinking of using boxes for Collin and making him a little Wal-e sort of robot suit. Not sure for Sophie, but she's sort of leaning towards "trash fairy"...I think I can think of something there?

Although, I'm not 100% sold on anything, I keep going back and forth between diesel and steampunk aesthetics... so if anyone has ideas on what (modern) "trash" and recyclables I could use to make something, and what for, I'm game.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X