Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

Aquaponics

Due to my climate not being particularly suited for plants I use frequently I've been toying with the idea of aquaponics. Through looking around different informational sites I've gotten the basic idea of how it works, but can't seem to dredge up a "how to" description of setting it up. More importantly, setting up on a budget. I've heard it can be done relatively cheaply with materials from Lowes.

Anyone have experience with it and have tips/tricks/warnings for getting the system put together? Is there a preferred fish or would basic koi be sufficient? How do you set up the seeds? What material works best for the filter area? Is there a specific light needed like in hydroponics or is it just incandescent bulbs for heat? Can a hydroponics kit be converted to aquaponics?
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

Re: Aquaponics

Those were the ones that confused me... hence asking for personal experiences and advice.

(whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

Well, I was reading the sites (because I never heard of this and ITS SO COOL) and yes, goldfish and koi will work, but since part of the goal is also to grow edible fish, its not necessarily the best use of the system. It looks like channel catfish are one of the best choices. It will depend on your state however. Where I live we can keep native panfish and sportfish as "pets" but only if we have receipts for their purchase. Not that it stops people from taking some of their daily bag limit and putting it in the fish tank . . .

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

That's interesting... would you keep frogs too? (they taste like chicken)
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

Nah, they taste like frogs. Not that its a bad thing.

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

*Please delete - misread the OP*

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Yes Rok ... You can use it to grow some killer bud ...

As for the aquaponics ... Never did that but had a really killer outdoor pond setup years ago ... Had a 1500 gallon concrete in-ground pond with floating aquatic plants and koi ... There was a 5 foot high "mountain" at one end ... Water was pumped to the top of the mountain where there was a basin that held about 5 gallons ... Put a little fountain head there so the water got aerated ... Filled the basin with small smooth rocks and marbles ... Grew some nice chives in there ... I guess that is an aquaponics system ... Had over a dozen koi that were each over a foot long ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

Quote Originally Posted by magusjinx View Post
    Yes Rok ... You can use it to grow some killer bud ...
    Not that it's any big surprise I got confused or anything I grow all of mine with hydro though...don't even know what aquaponics is (hence my request to delete the post )

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanwood View Post
    Well, I was reading the sites (because I never heard of this and ITS SO COOL) and yes, goldfish and koi will work, but since part of the goal is also to grow edible fish, its not necessarily the best use of the system. It looks like channel catfish are one of the best choices. It will depend on your state however. Where I live we can keep native panfish and sportfish as "pets" but only if we have receipts for their purchase. Not that it stops people from taking some of their daily bag limit and putting it in the fish tank . . .
    I'll have to look into the state laws on fishing, something I haven't done since moving here. Ocean catches may be a bit harder to keep without working with the tank more, I don't know much about fish keeping but I'm sure it's different than the set up for betas (which is the extent of my fish keeping knowledge lol). Maybe can check with the chinese markets that fresh kill and fry muahaha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes may apply the system to growing medicinal pot plants for the raw juicing disease killing diet. Heat apparently kills the beneficial cannibinoids so raw is needed but apparently can reverse a lot of rare diseases.... idk though can't find hardcore research on it, just a few random reports... If nothing else works to help my immune condition I may get my card and try that. But for now I have a doc trying to fix it with pills and poss nuclear treatments when the nutritional therapy pretty much only symptom managed.
    Last edited by KashakuTatsu; 16 Feb 2011 at 18:33.