Gym-gym. American Bodyworks.
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Re: Working it out!

If your gym has the personal trainer option, I would recommend it. Not for ever (that can be ouchy on the pocket book) or for everything, but for the weight circuits for the first week or two--both for what to do and (more importantly) how to do it safely...sometimes gyms have a free session or two when you sign up, or they might have a deal to have a personal trainer for so many weeks or so (even the Y I worked at had private personal trainers, I worked with one who also happened to be a physical therapist for a while, because of my wrist and shoulder problems), or they might even have classes or groups (the Y I worked with had a seniors weight class, a women's weight class, a teen weight class and a beginner's class) to sort of show you the ropes.

I feel your pain on being the nerdy kid. I was never a gym person until I started working at the Y and teaching swimming lessons and water aerobics when I was in college. My idea of working out was bike riding to the library or a canoeing weekend...but I needed to lose weight to join the military (and to keep it off to stay in), and so I learned to deal with the gym...it can be intimidating.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
        Starting a work-out routine is a pita. I walked into the gym last night with no direction and just looked around like, "Uhhhh... arms, I guess?" I should've skipped that, because I figured out just how weak I've become. Meh.

What do you all recommend for sets/reps? Also, how long do you usually stay? I keep hearing about people that say things like, "Well, I went to the gym for a couple of hours and..." I went last night, did 15 minutes on the treadmill and did 6 sets of arms curls and it was maybe 25 minutes later.
        You'll want to start with one of these two programs. Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5. I'd recommend starting with Stronglifts for about a month, because that routine is short and easy to remember, then migrating to Starting Strength. I've talked to Mark Rippetoe several times, and he knows what he's talking about.

DON'T focus on just your arms or one specific area of your body. You want to do full body exercises. When in doubt, squats and deadlifts.

You may want to get a personal trainer to show you how to do some of the exercises in person, just to avoid hurting yourself. A lot of the time personal trainers won't actually know what they're talking about, though, so if you can find someone that's an actual powerlifter to show you the ropes, that's even better.

If you have access to a pool, supplement your barbell routine with Zero to 1650 on your off days. It'll help fight the muscle soreness that the weights will inflict upon you for the first month or so. If your muscles are still sore from the workout when it comes time to work out again, work through it; working out actually makes sore muscles feel better. Of course, this only applies for actual muscle soreness due to the workout, if it's a sharp pain then you've pulled something and need to keep off it for a while.

Also, everything that Thal says applies here. You'll want to do your first week on Stronglifts alone, then add in the swimming if you want to in the next week or two after that. Starting everything at once usually just wears you out and makes you quit going to the gym.

As far as nutrition goes, here's basically what you want to do. Go here and use the calculator to find your basal metabolic rate. That's basically how many calories you need to eat to neither lose nor gain weight. If you want to lose weight, subtract 300 to 500 calories from the BMR estimate and limit yourself there. Beyond eating within that calorie constraint, you'll want to eat as few carbohydrates and processed sugars as possible, while eating a lot of protein and a decent amount of fiber. Basically, live on meat and vegetables and the occasional (OCCASIONAL, like a couple a week) potato. I've never been good at nutrition myself, but that's the gist of what all my research on the subject seems to be telling me.

So, I hope that helps.
        "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
        -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
        without his weapons of war;
        for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
        of a spear on the way without.
        -

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can implement some of that.
          There once was a man who said though,
          It seems that I know that I know,
          What I'd like to see,
          Is the I that knows me,
          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Ah.. so much for cycling on Friday! Neither of us was prepared for how weak JP's leg would be. He's back on two crutches now the cast is off. I've been trying to keep my fitness up with a few zumba sessions but I'm already feeling my stamina draining. I tried jogging two days ago and I got tired very quickly. It was zero degrees and the cold hurt my throat, then when I woke up, I'd lost my voice. Been coughing and sneezing since. Working out just sucks on my own.

I think I'll try to tone up my bingo wings again. Was a massive fail last time, but I didn't know I was protein deficient then. Now I've addressed that, maybe I can build muscle now.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm finally (hopefully) getting back to my regular routine. I did 30 minutes of swimming today.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lifted 155lbs bench and 275lbs deadlift today. Looks like I'll break the 175/300 barrier in the next few weeks!
                "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                without his weapons of war;
                for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                of a spear on the way without.
                -

Comment

10 minutes treadmill, 20 minutes cross trainer, 15 minutes bikes, 10 minutes with the medicine ball/yoga and 15 minutes swimming. I dislike the appearance of bulky muscles (skinny men are HOT!!!) and I hate my legs enough without bulking them up further, so neither of us do much weight training (not that I'd dream of stopping JP from bulking up if he chose to of course, he just also likes to be slender). We prefer to stick to stretching and cardio. We were at the gym yesterday too, but worked much harder today as it was mainly about offsetting the damage done by our planned Imbolc feasting!

JP can finally cycle so we'll hit the hire bikes tomorrow (hopefully).
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well, I plan to walk to my nearest city, Newcastle, tomorrow. It is about 8miles and while that's not really that far, I've never done it before. Google maps thinks it will take me two hours, but I am giving myself 3 just to be on the safe side. Hope I am not overestimating my fitness level!! ^^

Comment

Aquafit this morning. Hike yesterday. The gym the day before. I'm trying to cure my boredom and lose the wheat/rice belly I gained in Asia.

Mostly art.

Comment

Well, despite being so excited that I couldn't sleep last night at all, I did my walk! I will definitely be walking to Newcastle from now on. Only took 2 hours (and it was blowing a gale and the wind was against me), and I saved almost £3 in bus fare. Not a lot, but over time it will start to add up! Also, I decided the gym is the most mind-numbingly boring way to work out known to man. I'd much rather burn calories productively and for free! WALKING FTW!!!

Comment

Brain training ;D
                          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Swimming 45 minutes!

Comment

I timed my coughing today--all together, 3 hours and 57 minutes.

I'm guessing that killed some calories and worked the abs, even if I can't make it up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing.

...I miss working out.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

60 minutes of swimming!

Comment

Working...
                                X