This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

Goals: Learn my burnout point so I don't fatigue every 3-6 months of training so I can keep on a steady fitness and martial arts routine. Better diet... although I really don't like to watch what I eat because I do love my food.

Gyms... my gym is my uncles property, my living room and my back yard. Chains, wooden poles, fences, park benches, ground, horseshoe set up, random heavy things, tools, light weights- what kind of exercises can the human mind come up with!

Comment

Totally gonna work it out again today!! I'm pumped!! hahaha

Comment

you pumped or you being pumped hahahahaha

Comment

I'm pretty much a gym addict. I do weight training. If I don't go regularly I feel like my body is screaming for stimulation. I go to the gym anywhere from 3-6 times per week. If I can't get in there it only takes a few days before I feel restless and agitated.

I agree that to be active of some kind is very important. Whatever it is, sport, recreation, or just exercise. I don't play any sports and I'm not involved in any recreation so weight training is just my thing to keep my body stimulated.

Comment

I rolled over twice before hitting the alarm.

GO ME!
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Day one of "going back to the gym." Swam lots of laps. I lost count of how many. I stopped counting after ten but I know it was an even number. Casualish swimming speed since I was never a fast swimmer. Hoping to get better at it though.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                Day one of "going back to the gym." Swam lots of laps. I lost count of how many. I stopped counting after ten but I know it was an even number. Casualish swimming speed since I was never a fast swimmer. Hoping to get better at it though.
                Well done, Juniper! Swimming is such a great way to get toned all over. I wish I could stick with it! Not a strong swimmer myself, though I do love the water and the feeling of being weightless.

Went to Yoga class night... Got both on heels on the ground in Downward Dog! Lol Pretty proud of myself. Glad to see some positive changes in myself.

I'm not really a gym person, I'm too stingy to pay the fees! But a friend I used to have was a personal trainer at a gym. I told him the longest I've ever lasted at a gym was 3 months. His reply was really encouraging! He actually said 'That's great!' or something to that effect that really affirmed my effort. I was coming at the situation viewing only my laziness and failures, whereas he affirmed my achievements and effort. Changed my whole perspective on health and fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  Went to Yoga class night... Got both on heels on the ground in Downward Dog! Lol Pretty proud of myself. Glad to see some positive changes in myself.
                  I know I'm a wee bit late, but that's awesome! I hope to do some Yoga, some day as well. I think I shall check out some classes at my gym, sometime.

Day 4 of swimming. 50 minutes in the water, the first 20 were sort of slow because I bought goggles but they kept fogging up. And I need to learn how to time the breathing for the crawl stroke. I can't do it yet. Some day. I just know that my back is a little sore from the way I have been swimming. I try to alternate backstroke and breaststroke to help my back but it's a wee bit sore today, for the first time. But the whirlpool and steam room after felt really nice.

Next time, I'm going to see how long I can keep swimming without taking long breaks.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  Sneak Attack

Comment

I just know that my back is a little sore from the way I have been swimming. I try to alternate backstroke and breaststroke to help my back but it's a wee bit sore today, for the first time.
                    If your pool has kickboards, add in a lap or two with just the board, it will help strengthen your core muscles, so that (over time) you are less prone to this.

Also, if you are having problems with breathing on your front crawl, try a front crawl with a scissor kick (from the side stroke) on your breathing stroke--it gives you more time with your face out of the water, and adds a glide (which is a resting position) into the stroke for a "break (its sort of a half Trudgen stroke, half front crawl).

...our pool is open, but its too small for laps, so I can't wait til the bay warms up a bit more!!
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

And I need to learn how to time the breathing for the crawl stroke. I can't do it yet. Some day.
                      What do you mean by crawl stroke? I've never heard of it, but I'm a swim teacher here in Oz. Can you give it another name? And I should be able to give you some tips.
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                        What do you mean by crawl stroke? I've never heard of it, but I'm a swim teacher here in Oz. Can you give it another name? And I should be able to give you some tips.
                        I guess the other term (possibly more widely used) is the freestyle. Face down, arms alternating. But it's kind of a non-issue now anyway. My older sister used to be on the swim team through her high school years and she gave me some breathing tips. Feel free to tip away if you still want, though.
                        Sneak Attack

Comment

Well my run has taken a hit. I added a whole minute and some to my 2mi. I've only been running once a week though. Hoping to get back into it. I'm a decent swimmer I suppose, I haven't actually swam laps in 15yrs. Back in boy scout camp. Wow that's been longer than I thought.

Comment

Ah freestyle! Now that's a stroke I know! Never heard it called crawl stroke, though it makes sense...

Things I talk to kids about with the breathing include breathing every 3rd stroke (so alternate sides), blow out underwater so when you surface you only have to breathe in, don't turn your head to far around, just so your mouth is just out of the water (though this takes practise, naturally you want to get as far away from the water to breathe!) and take care that you only turn your head to the side, as in looking over your shoulder, definitely don't look up!

Hope that helps.
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I gave up the gym. But I did make an awesome purchase. My own ex bike. I love it! So I'm about to finish my din din and get on for my 30 minutes bike ride. Even though it was expensive, it was worth it. My doc congratulated me after my last doc visit. Said all my numbers were great! So..guys out there..don't give up. Find a way to move and just move 30 minutes a day!
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

No working out for me. I've started getting the hives even from just walking. I used to walk everywhere. I can't even use the wii. I get the rash all over my forearms and chest if I use the wii, and get it on my legs and ass if I walk or run. The doctors gave up on my rash when the antihistamines stopped working. Swimming is the only form of working out that doesn't cause the rash, but I can't get to the pool without it flaring up, because I have to wolk there. When I reach the pool, I scratch so hard that I have lines of purple dots all over my legs where I've broken the capillaries, which doesn't help my confidence when I have to wear a swimsuit. So I'm just trying not to eat much, which I guess won't be helping my low mood. I'm still putting on weight though and I can't stop it. I'm pretty miserable.
                                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                                X