This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

Thanks for that!!!! I could probably work that in.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Duce are you down for a bit of working out tomorrow??? I was going to tonight but my FNL is already in bed and the treadmill is in the basement that's right under him and will wake him. So tomorrow morning?
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

I've managed to develop a much healthier attitude towards exercise, treating it as something I do because I owe it to my body to keep it fit and healthy so it can continue to take care of me in return. Before, I would be obsessive about how much exercise I've done, for how long, and most importantly, how many calories I'd burnt. These days I don't care so long as I got myself a bit out of breath once or twice a day. That's made me really stick to my current routine. I don't think I've missed two consecutive days in over a month, yet once I've done it, I don't think about it or try to analyse it at all. I just get on with the rest of my day.

I'm swimming with JP most Monday evenings (although that had to take a break because the pool has been closed over Christmas), and I still do my Just Dance tracks once or twice a week, but my daily exercise is 'virtual jogging'.

As I've mentioned before, I have quite aggressive exercise urticaria which means even brisk walking outdoors is a no-go. Instead then, I just jog on the spot in the comfort of my own home to youtube videos designed to be used with treadmills. Like this one. I just lose myself in the moment and before I know it the video is over. Unless my urticaria flares up, at which point I can stop and sit down immediately (the rash fades quickly if I stay still, although it will flare up as soon as I start moving again unless I stay still for 10-20 minutes, which is why an attack outdoors is so traumatic).

My favourite virtual jogs of all, are those set in Skyrim! It just doesn't feel like a chore at all. Just a normal part of my daily self-care routine that I almost do without thinking these days.

I'm not sure my body shape has changed at all, but I definitely feel healthier. I'm sleeping better too and waking up really refreshed most days!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Currently getting my run on. Well jogging so I can type right now.

Comment

Virtual jogging sounds interesting. I want to get one of those stands for my bike that turn it into an exercise bike. I bet there are virtual bike rides too.
            A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Virtual jogging sounds interesting. I want to get one of those stands for my bike that turn it into an exercise bike. I bet there are virtual bike rides too.
              Many of them are posted as 'walk, jog or cycle', so yeah! Although you'd think they're going too fast to walk, or too slow to cycle, at least in my experience, your brain just sort of adapts and you don't really notice.

This morning after work I managed to jog all the way from Solitude to Windhelm in one burst (it takes 20 minutes), without having to stop for the urticaria. I did get it, but I was so close that I could see Windhelm up ahead so I just kept going, scratching as I went!

Exercise urticaria hasn't received much research so the medical profession is still clutching at straws, but there is apparently some anecdotal evidence that so long as you keep up your regime and don't ever let it slide, attacks become rarer and/or you can workout for longer before it flares up. So I'm hoping that I'll be able to get all the way to Windhelm without itching eventually!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Trying to decide what brand of trainers to get next, I came across this article. http://breakingmuscle.com/running/wh...-running-shoes
                Pretty informative if running is your thing.

Comment

Shoveled my very first driveway this evening. That is one killer workout I must say!!! Bundled under 3 layers I definitely broke a sweat. Check that off my never did in Texas list.

Comment

I will be starting yoga soon. Chiropractor today said it will help me with my low back problems.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Massage Therapy thread

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                      I will be starting yoga soon. Chiropractor today said it will help me with my low back problems.
                      Yoga is great for muscle and back and joints, I do yoga everyday and Hydro therapy a few times a month for the latent back issues from my spinal fracture in 2014. It does wonders. I also get Acupuncture every few months.

Comment

What do I do??

So, I've been really good and am sticking to my regular Skyrim jogging* routine, but other than light hand weights (and maybe swimming??), and occasional planks, I haven't been doing any resistance training. Largely because I don't want bulky muscles, but also because my upper body is very weak so this kind of training is hard and uncomfortable.

I decided though, that I probably should include at least some press ups and sit ups into my routine, for bone strength and a stronger core. So yesterday I found a training video and did my first session. It was just sets of 10. I did regular push ups, then something called a 'Hindu push up' (not sure that's the English name, but it's where you start in downward dog and end in something similar to the cobra but your pelvis isn't quite touching the floor), then crunches where you raise your knees at a 90 degree angle so that your shins are parallel to the floor.

The outside of my left arm was in agony last night and this morning I'm stiff around my shoulders and my stomach muscles hurt when I breath in.

This is apparently common knowledge to fitness fanatics, but didn't realise until recently that when you do resistance training, you actually damage the muscles a little, and then your body repairs them in a stronger condition to protect them next time. Firstly, this sounds like a horrible way to be treating the body I've only recently repaired my relationship with, and secondly, I want to ask those in the know; is there anything I should be doing to assist in the reparation? Do I need to eat more protein than usual? Sleep longer? Avoid further exercise?

At the very least, I'm guessing I should avoid press ups and crunches until the muscles stop hurting, but would my usual jogging be okay?

*By the way, I recently learnt that in the US, you say 'jogging in place' instead of 'jogging on the spot'. I love finding new differences like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          What do I do??

So, I've been really good and am sticking to my regular Skyrim jogging* routine, but other than light hand weights (and maybe swimming??), and occasional planks, I haven't been doing any resistance training. Largely because I don't want bulky muscles, but also because my upper body is very weak so this kind of training is hard and uncomfortable.

I decided though, that I probably should include at least some press ups and sit ups into my routine, for bone strength and a stronger core. So yesterday I found a training video and did my first session. It was just sets of 10. I did regular push ups, then something called a 'Hindu push up' (not sure that's the English name, but it's where you start in downward dog and end in something similar to the cobra but your pelvis isn't quite touching the floor), then crunches where you raise your knees at a 90 degree angle so that your shins are parallel to the floor.

The outside of my left arm was in agony last night and this morning I'm stiff around my shoulders and my stomach muscles hurt when I breath in.

This is apparently common knowledge to fitness fanatics, but didn't realise until recently that when you do resistance training, you actually damage the muscles a little, and then your body repairs them in a stronger condition to protect them next time. Firstly, this sounds like a horrible way to be treating the body I've only recently repaired my relationship with, and secondly, I want to ask those in the know; is there anything I should be doing to assist in the reparation? Do I need to eat more protein than usual? Sleep longer? Avoid further exercise?

At the very least, I'm guessing I should avoid press ups and crunches until the muscles stop hurting, but would my usual jogging be okay?

*By the way, I recently learnt that in the US, you say 'jogging in place' instead of 'jogging on the spot'. I love finding new differences like this!

Stretch, stretch, and more stretches will help you from being tense and sore. The more you do the better. Make sure you are stretching the muscles that you worked. I'm sure you know this already but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                            Stretch, stretch, and more stretches will help you from being tense and sore. The more you do the better. Make sure you are stretching the muscles that you worked. I'm sure you know this already but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
                            Thanks.

I probably should have done that yesterday after I did the exercises, but I didn't feel sore right away so didn't think it was important. Today I'm too sore to do a full yoga session, and backwards bending is particularly painful. I even struggled to get into the bath earlier! I've been reaching my arms above my head and stretching that way and so long as I don't try to bend backwards, that isn't too painful.

Ten reps.. I only did ten reps.. I'm so feeble.

Comment

I'm heading to the gym to go swimming!
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Whatever you do, don't do nothing---take a break from those exercised, but keep moving (just more slowly perhaps). If you take ibuprophen or other NSAIDS you should know that there's quite a bit of evidence building that they delay recovery...although it will make it hurt less.

Do things that increase circulation---Gentle ACTIVE stretching is good, but static stretching is not (particularly before a work out)--it actually leads to decreased performance and maybe even increased injury (the evidence is still a bit wishy washy on this latter bit). Warm bath and gentle massage are good--they increase blood flow and healing. Heat/ice in a 15/15 rotation can be good too as well as compression of the part of the body in question. And drink water, make sure you have a sufficient amount of protein in your diet, and get good sleep.

Also, as you (and me too) are getting older--our bodies will recover less quickly.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X