This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

Mine is the opposite of yours. Its gonna hurt, but soon as you get done it'll feel great. Yep yep. I've got my 2mi down to 16:45 as my fastest and just under 17 as a more normal run. The most spirituality I put into my workout is running outside. I much prefer that to running inside.

Comment

I wish I could run outside. I had to stop altogether now because my hives are getting so bad, that I can get them even when playing inside on the Wii. It used to only ever happen outside. It's also not just running that causes it anymore. If I wear tight socks and am walking quickly, my feet and ankles will break out. I also get it on my forearms far more often than I used to. I did speak to my GP about it who put me on powerful antihistamines. When that didn't work, he gave up and concluded I'm just going to have to find other ways of working out. I used to walk everywhere, including the 8 miles to my nearest city. That's had to stop now because after the first mile or two, without fail, the hives flare up. I absolutely freakin' hate it.

So, at the moment, I'm really into a workout program I found on the Active Channel. It is actually a ballet workout but it is actually a lot like yoga (uses the same breathing and incorporates some of the asanas. The difference is that the movements are dynamic and there are some really great ones. There is a movement that works like a crunch, only you move your arms through different positions while you do it and it involves so many muscle groups.

I've only been doing it for a few days but I can really feel the difference it's making to my stomach muscles.

Most of my working out is done at home now, so I can stop and claw at my legs and arms if I need to, or swimming, because so far (touch wood), I've never developed the rash while swimming.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

This BARELY counts because I'm a fat shit who knows better but I did 30 minutes of meditative yoga last night to prepare myself for the Tarot reading I did.

I really need to workout again but find it nearly impossible to do without someone to hold me accountable and workout WITH. Excuses, excuses, I know.
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal_Dragon View Post
          Its gonna hurt, but soon as you get done it'll feel great.
          Should have qualified my statement

There's the burn you feel with exercise that means your muscles increase strength over time. I've heard this kind of pain happens because as the muscle is being worked, tiny lesions are being created. When these lesions heal, muscle mass is built. I get this kind of burn in Yoga as well. It's the sharp, stabbing, very localised pain I want to avoid. For me, this means watching out for my sciatic nerve. If I push through this kind of pain, it means I have trouble walking for the next couple of days. That's not a good way to exercise! It means I'm always limitted by pain.

And anyway, I have tried to adopt a lifestyle of activity rather than doing exercises that push me to the limit every second day. If I do this too much, it means my body does not have time to recuperate properly and I really put myself at risk of injury. Also, I don't want to be hurty every second day! That's not very motivating. At least not in the long-term.

Hm.. so I don't know if I 'work out,' I just do daily slightly challenging physical activity that I find enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            This BARELY counts because I'm a fat shit who knows better but I did 30 minutes of meditative yoga last night to prepare myself for the Tarot reading I did.

I really need to workout again but find it nearly impossible to do without someone to hold me accountable and workout WITH. Excuses, excuses, I know.

Sounds like you need to find some type of exercise you like to do(I know duh dumb shit!)and enjoy doing without having to force yourself to much. I don't know if you have a park nearby you could walk or ride a bike to/in or not, but walking around outside and losing yourself in nature or your thoughts while doing this is still exercise. I'm not skinny(227 lbs)by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to my old 300 lbs plus days(I could snap a toilet seat with the slap of a cheek. ) I'm in far better shape today. I also know not everyone was meant to be a twig and run a four minuet mile. But I also know and deal everyday with the health issues associated with carrying that extra weight and will for the rest of my life. So if you think exercising sucks believe me it's nothing compared to what could be waiting down the line. Exercise can be as simple as putting on some headphones and dancing in your room everyday.

I think we talked about this before Bjorn?
            Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Ha I have a new personal best for the 2mi. Decided to push myself today and got 16:26. That beats my old time of when I was in the Army trying to get out of basic. And there were several hills so if I ever tried to run it like I did in the Army(relatively flat ground) I could shave off 30secs or more. Me and my older brother have a bit of friendly competition and I have the record for this current course. He runs on the treadmill so I have a one-up on him when he decides to run with my outside. I say course but its just 2mi measured out in town.

When I got up to 300lbs just about 3yrs ago thats when I decided I was gonna start running again. I haven't lost as much weight as you Monk, but I know I like it a lot more now that I'm only 250. I have a pair of 36s that when I finally fit back in em I was amazed and extremely happy. I'm still working on losing a bit more weight, but its not a top priority. Nows its more of a side effect hahaha.

Hows the rest of yall doing?

Comment

Woke up this morning feeling like I had two options in the world: work out, or jump off a bridge due to depression. So...I dragged my sorry ass to the gym, and I did 30 minutes of cardio with a heartrate of 170 the entire time. I told that elliptical trainer who was boss. And then I lifted heavy weights for another 40 minutes until everything hurt.

Once my body felt like it was falling apart, my insides felt better, and I went on with my day.

...but I'm going to hurt tomorrow.

Mostly art.

Comment

I really do need to kick my butt back into my gym. Been difficult with the new routine since changing jobs - so much harder to get motivated in the evening after work when I used to train before work.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortstuff View Post
                    I really do need to kick my butt back into my gym. Been difficult with the new routine since changing jobs - so much harder to get motivated in the evening after work when I used to train before work.
                    Me too. I've got to find my motivation again.

Comment

trying to get stronger than any ass holes who want to start a fight is good motivation i think...lol.
                      i did 160 push ups in 40 minutes the other day doing 20 push ups every 5 minutes. gonna go for 200 in a couple days
                      woo

Comment

I'm kinda a stickler for routine. So when any part of it changes I fall out of pace and it takes a bit to get back into it. My main problem recently was what time I ate before I went to work. I normally run after work and so I like to eat right at 2 in the afternoon. I was someones ride to work in the mornings for a while and I just couldn't get the routine in. But I'm no longer their ride so my routine is back like it was.

Comment

Yes I need routine too and try as I might, I can't get used to doing gym stuff in the evenings. Getting up at 4am to do it before work is not an option though...

Comment

I never did like the gym. Its ok for the weights and what not but as far as the treadmill goes, I like to actually be moving forward and have the scenary change.

Comment

I don't do treadmills and other boring things, except as a ten minute warm up. I do weights, yoga, and cycling. Been out on a bike ride tonight - really didn't want to but pushed through and did it

Comment

I was supposed to start my diet again today (as in, I'm trying to get back on track). And then I bought a tub of ice cream. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I start over :/

And tomorrow I get my bike, so exercise routine can start up again as well
                                My Tumblr
                                My Webcomic
                                My Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X