This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

Another hour of swimming today! This is going to be a tough work week, but I'm determined to stick to 3 hourly swimming sessions!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

As I understand it swimming is one of the best exercises to do,less strain,and more gain than any other because of the waters ability to kinda carry some of the weight load while swimming.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Worked my legs this morning. 20 minute treadmill, 3.7 mph 5% grade. Leg presses, calf raises, leg curls, groin presses, glute presses, and another 15 minute treadmill.

My ass hurts.
        There once was a man who said though,
        It seems that I know that I know,
        What I'd like to see,
        Is the I that knows me,
        When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

35 minutes on the bike yesterday, but got bored and left the gym. If my mood stays high today, I think I'm going to go for a hike.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            35 minutes on the bike yesterday, but got bored and left the gym. If my mood stays high today, I think I'm going to go for a hike.
            See, that's why I stopped going to the gym. I gave it few weeks to grow on me, but realised it was never going to appeal to me. I seem to react far better to exercise if I enjoy it. Well, maybe I try harder, stick to longer and am more motivated when I enjoy it.

My new language exchange partner lives in the next city, Gateshead, so now I've managed to walk to Newcastle a few times, I'm gonna start walking even further to meet with her!

I like jogging too, but I read something by a TV presenter in an interview where she said, 'I prefer to walk than to run; you never see a happy jogger!' and this sticks in my mind. It makes me try to jog with a manic grin on my face.

If only I weren't super-sensitive to temperature, I'd still be swimming 1-3 times a week. Unfortunately, the cheap-ass pool only heats the water to the minimum legal requirement for a swimming pool and I just can't deal with this in winter.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              See, that's why I stopped going to the gym. I gave it few weeks to grow on me, but realised it was never going to appeal to me. I seem to react far better to exercise if I enjoy it. Well, maybe I try harder, stick to longer and am more motivated when I enjoy it.

My new language exchange partner lives in the next city, Gateshead, so now I've managed to walk to Newcastle a few times, I'm gonna start walking even further to meet with her!

I like jogging too, but I read something by a TV presenter in an interview where she said, 'I prefer to walk than to run; you never see a happy jogger!' and this sticks in my mind. It makes me try to jog with a manic grin on my face.

If only I weren't super-sensitive to temperature, I'd still be swimming 1-3 times a week. Unfortunately, the cheap-ass pool only heats the water to the minimum legal requirement for a swimming pool and I just can't deal with this in winter.
              See, I LOVE going to the gym. I've just been on-off depressed since I got back from Asia. Seriously, I'll wake up one morning and be fine, and head to the gym, and the middle of my workout, I'll become all 'life is horrible' ...and sulk back to my house to hide. Other days, it's the opposite. I wake up feeling like life is over, and then once I make it to the gym, I feel better and I work out for two hours.

This morning I went for a two hour hike to take some photos with my new lens. Tonight, I might go to aquafit at the pool - though I haven't decided yet.

Mostly art.

Comment

I think exercise can be addictive and pleasurable no matter where or how you do it. I think my problem was that I already enjoyed other forms and by comparison, the gym was dull (the fact that other forms are free didn't help).

It never occured to me how hard returning from a stretch overseas can be, but I once took a massive overdose.. a very serious attempt to end my life, and spent four days in hospital. That was less than two weeks after returning to the UK from Japan. At the time, I blamed other things for my depression, but looking back, it was probably extreme culture shock.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well finally forced myself to get up and run and I still love the pain. Lost a lot of ground on my workouts after my run though. But ima push myself out the door from now on. Aside from non-work related workouts, on days I gotta make feed runs I gotta load and unload 1-2 tons of feed each time. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for my boss thats only every other week.

Seems everyone's disappeared for a whole month, what's everyone else up to?

Comment

Same old for me. Doing my yoga and stuff... Walking almost everywhere (yesterday, I needed a belt to go with my new dress, so walked 3 miles to my nearest Claire's Accessories, then walked 3 miles back. I also walk 8 miles to meet my language exchange partner in my nearest city! Cars are for pussies!).

Had to cut down on jogging. I get this horrible condition called exercise urticaria, where my entire body breaks out in hives after 5 or 10 minutes of running. I was controlling it with antihistamines, but this recently stopped working. I'm trying to figure out what triggers it and suspect it might be the weather. I don't get it if I exercise indoors or run on a treadmil.

So I have only been running very short distances. My last break out of urticaria was so bad I was screaming and I was all alone. It really scared me. Although I've done my best to stay active, I have gone up to 103 lb and I am gutted.

Comment

Been back to the gym(forgot about this thread)since late January. Working out three days a week there and on alternate days at home. also I walk everyday(with the pups) and up to six plus miles a nite at work. The other techs have used pedometers the come up with this figure with some coming in at eight miles. Hope to get back on the mountain bike this summer but I had some problems with riding since the surgery's. Still want to ride so I'll have to figure a way around the problems.
                      Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                        I think exercise can be addictive and pleasurable no matter where or how you do it. I think my problem was that I already enjoyed other forms and by comparison, the gym was dull (the fact that other forms are free didn't help).
                        Gonna git nerdy wif it

Exercise IS addictive because it plays with four of the brain's coolest neurotransmitters: epinephrine (responsible for fight or flight), dopamine (sleep/wake cycles), serotonin (mood), and endorphin (natural pain killers).

In general you can expect to receive moderate boosts in all of these. With your heart rate rising, epinephrine floods the brain and keeps the body going going going, after your workout you experience a sort of high thanks to serotonin (and pride, perhaps ), you'll sleep like a rock what with dopamine helping you out, and the rush of endorphins will make working out the next time seem like not such a bad idea (in a nutshell).

Now, you can actually cater your workouts to your mood if you find that you're experiencing some issues. High-impact, high intensity, fast moving exercises like sprinting, weight lifting, interval training, etc will all mimic a fight or flight response, so you get the most epinephrine when you do those exercises. If mood is the problem then you want to focus on serotonin, which is released in highest amounts when doing moderate to low intensity workouts, like cross country, yoga, hiking, swimming, etc. Basically, you want to use more slow-twitch muscle fibers than the fast-twitch that you get with the plyometrics and other high intensity stoofs.

And of course, the more you exercise, the more endorphins you flood your system with. Its like an internal reward system.

+++++++

Today? I slacked. Yesterday? Chest, Shoulder, and Tricep from P90X. Day before? Legs and Back. This P90X and Insanity hybrid is pretty badass.
                        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I should probably get back into this whole gym thing. I've not gone once in over a month.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm still stuck jogging on the spot in front of the TV. Sucks so much. I'm not getting enough days off to have time to see my doctor about the urticaria, and I need to see him about my hypothyroidism too. I'm the only night shift worker here and have been for 6 weeks. I get one day off every 4 days, then I'm back in for 4 days. I'll be glad when this is over. I managed to get my weight back down to what it was before I had to stop jogging, but not without resorting to borderline ED behaviour. It's really getting me down.

Comment

I cycled 170 km in 3 days in Sardinia, and I did quite a bit of walking! Sometimes, even with a large travel backpack on my back.

I'm resting for the rest of today (just got home) and tomorrow it's back to cycling! Unless I'm totally exhausted, then I might take a day off. Today doesn't really count because I flew back today and carried my backpack for quite a while.

Comment

Well I went for my run Thursday up at the college stadium. Normally I'll walk a little ways after I run to cool off, but instead of one lap I ended up walkin almost three miles afterwards(1 lap = .42mi). Only stopped because my stomach kept growling.

Comment

Working...
                                X