This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

So, hubby started going to the gym with me which is cool. He likes to walk on the treadmill but then joins me in the pool later. I did find that I take longer breaks between laps when he's around because we end up chatting. I need to cut that down, lol. But it's nice that he's there because we keep each other motivated.
    I'm getting better, too. Doing more freestyle than breast stroke or back stroke. The breathing bit is still a challenge, but I've only been at it for a month so I don't expect to be an expert just yet.

Heka, do you have any tips for legs and arms for the freestyle? Like, is there a better way to position your hands/fingers and a certain way to try and kick with the legs? I mainly ask because I just don't know if I'm giving my legs a good enough work out and even tweaked my knee earlier this week so it was difficult to walk on for a couple of days. I tend to keep my fingers together ad straight but am I supposed to cup them under water to help push better? (I never had any formal swim training... everything I know has been from teaching myself and doing some research on the web).
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      I'm getting better, too. Doing more freestyle than breast stroke or back stroke. The breathing bit is still a challenge, but I've only been at it for a month so I don't expect to be an expert just yet.

Heka, do you have any tips for legs and arms for the freestyle? Like, is there a better way to position your hands/fingers and a certain way to try and kick with the legs? I mainly ask because I just don't know if I'm giving my legs a good enough work out and even tweaked my knee earlier this week so it was difficult to walk on for a couple of days. I tend to keep my fingers together ad straight but am I supposed to cup them under water to help push better? (I never had any formal swim training... everything I know has been from teaching myself and doing some research on the web).
      Glad to hear things are getting better. The breathing will come, focus on the rhythm. (That makes sense to me but then I teach music... Hmm)

In regards to legs, the movement should come from your hips, but your hips should stay flat in the water... Does that make sense? Kick from the thighs, definitely not the knees (that may be why your knees hurt). Keep your knees and ankles floppy, and they should just follow your thighs.

Arms: you are not a windmill. Your elbows should come out first then your fingers go in first. I get kids to practise elbows out first by trying to swim like a chicken (think, hands tucked in armpits). You don't get anywhere, but you feel elbows out. Underwater you can windmill it a bit more. Try cupping your hands, you may find it working for you. (Unfortunately it's winter here and no indoor swimming pools, so I can't go and test out any of this for you).

Remember though that you don't want to work yourself too hard. It's not about working hard, it's about working efficiently, in a way that allows your body to move naturally. And the more efficiently you work, the further you can go! So more calories! Yay!
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Outstanding! I will try these tips tonight at the gym and report my experience after. Thank you again Heka!
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        Sneak Attack

Comment

Yay! I hope it works, glad I can help!

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            Yay! I hope it works, glad I can help!
            Turns out, that was all excellent advice! I never realized how stiff I kept my knees and ankles before. My endurance went WAY up! I was able to keep swimming without long breaks like before and the elbow out first was also awesome.

I found that if I close my eyes when I get air, I can gauge the timing better whereas when I keep my eyes open, I focus on something on the walls or a door or a person walking and mess up the timing, not to mention, my head doesn't stay to the side like it should. I tend to look "up" more with my eyes open. So, when I close them while getting air, I can get right back to swimming and following the colored tile/lines on the bottom of the pool.

I definitely feel like I did a million times better tonight than I even thought I would. Ace advice!
            Sneak Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              Turns out, that was all excellent advice! I never realized how stiff I kept my knees and ankles before. My endurance went WAY up! I was able to keep swimming without long breaks like before and the elbow out first was also awesome.

I found that if I close my eyes when I get air, I can gauge the timing better whereas when I keep my eyes open, I focus on something on the walls or a door or a person walking and mess up the timing, not to mention, my head doesn't stay to the side like it should. I tend to look "up" more with my eyes open. So, when I close them while getting air, I can get right back to swimming and following the colored tile/lines on the bottom of the pool.

I definitely feel like I did a million times better tonight than I even thought I would. Ace advice!
              Glad it's all working! I think I tend to close my eyes when I breathe too, but I think that's more to do with avoiding getting sun in my eyes... Good idea though, I'll remember that one for the next person who needs breathing advice!

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

30 minutes on my exercise bike while watching tv before work!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  30 minutes on my exercise bike while watching tv before work!
                  And repeat!
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I was going to put this in the 'small changes for health's thread, but when I thought about it, it's not THAT small. I've started playing zombie run again with JP (for those who don't know of this, it's a phone app that tracks your location with GPS then sends zombies after you that you must outrun). It's not easy because of my urticaria, so we have to keep it very short. I've personally found it not to make a difference, on account of the fact that one of my worst attacks of it (my entire body flared up, including my face), happened when I was jogging daily, but apparently regular exercise can reduce the symptoms. It's impacting my life so much that I'll try anything, so this is my latest attempt to get fit and prevent the rash. I really hope it works. My arms flaired up pretty badly while we were out running earlier (just after I was eaten by the zombies, because I couldn't maintain the Sprint long enough to out run them), but the arms are better than when I get it on my thighs or ass. It's a little more socially acceptable to scratch your arms in public!

Anyway, the best part is that this game lets us have short bursts of intense physical activity, without taking up too much of our precious time. Well, maybe not the best part. I kinda like the funny looks we get as we run, half screaming, half laughing, through the quiet streets of Preston village. ^^
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      I was going to put this in the 'small changes for health's thread, but when I thought about it, it's not THAT small. I've started playing zombie run again with JP (for those who don't know of this, it's a phone app that tracks your location with GPS then sends zombies after you that you must outrun). It's not easy because of my urticaria, so we have to keep it very short. I've personally found it not to make a difference, on account of the fact that one of my worst attacks of it (my entire body flared up, including my face), happened when I was jogging daily, but apparently regular exercise can reduce the symptoms. It's impacting my life so much that I'll try anything, so this is my latest attempt to get fit and prevent the rash. I really hope it works. My arms flaired up pretty badly while we were out running earlier (just after I was eaten by the zombies, because I couldn't maintain the Sprint long enough to out run them), but the arms are better than when I get it on my thighs or ass. It's a little more socially acceptable to scratch your arms in public!

Anyway, the best part is that this game lets us have short bursts of intense physical activity, without taking up too much of our precious time. Well, maybe not the best part. I kinda like the funny looks we get as we run, half screaming, half laughing, through the quiet streets of Preston village. ^^
                      zombir run sounds fun! I'll have to try it

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

zombir run sounds fun! I'll have to try it
                        You should! It's better with a friend of course. Even though you're physically fit, start off fairly light. Either a moderate infestation of slow moving zombies, or a light infestation of faster zombies. You can get surrounded very quickly otherwise. It's fun, but a bit annoying that you need to keep checking your phone. It vibrates when a zombie notices you (and it turns red on the map) and vibrated if you die, so if you know there's one just behind you, you have the option of ignoring your phone and making a Sprint for it. It is exhausting, but very rewarding when you reach your target destination in one piece.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

You should! It's better with a friend of course. Even though you're physically fit, start off fairly light. Either a moderate infestation of slow moving zombies, or a light infestation of faster zombies. You can get surrounded very quickly otherwise. It's fun, but a bit annoying that you need to keep checking your phone. It vibrates when a zombie notices you (and it turns red on the map) and vibrated if you die, so if you know there's one just behind you, you have the option of ignoring your phone and making a Sprint for it. It is exhausting, but very rewarding when you reach your target destination in one piece.
                          haha, I just got an armband thing for my phone to run with, I'll have to make this work

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Beginning a better diet and exercise regime with the hubby to get him prepped for his physical exams. Better diet as in only home-cooked food that minimizes the butter/sugar content.

Trying to aim for 3-4 mile walks on a daily basis around the neighborhood and nearby parks. He needs to build endurance so he can run 2 miles non-stop and I need to eat better, so it works out for both of us. Happy thoughts!

Comment

haha, I just got an armband thing for my phone to run with, I'll have to make this work
                              Can you view it while it's on your arm? If so, I NEED one of those. That would be perfect.

Comment

Can you view it while it's on your arm? If so, I NEED one of those. That would be perfect.
                                Not up high on my biceps, but maybe tied to the fore arm? I dunno...

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment