This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working it out!

Riding your bike is quite a bit of exercise in itself. I try to make myself go every other day, and today is the every day part. So I shall be going at some point!!!
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I've taken to marching around the livingroom while eating crackers...

Let me explain. So whoever put my body together had a cruel sense of humour. I'm slightly built on the top of my body, and while my torso is short, I have quite a small waist. Then it all goes to hell below the hips. I have very wide bones, and once you wrap a bit of flesh around them, it makes my legs very stocky. My thighs in particular are very wide and almost all muscle. It's basically the main cause of my body dysmorphia.

I found an exercise that shaped and toned my legs, which was awesome. But there was a limit to how much it could achieve. Now my thighs are like rocks to the touch, they're just solid muscle. I know if I starve myself I can make them slightly thinner, but when I do this, I end up so thin and gaunt on the top of my body that I look like gollum, and of course it affects my mood and general well-being. Worse is that thinner though they may be, my legs just go wobbly and seem flabby.

I can't win. I can't keep starving myself like some ill-informed teenager for the rest of my life, and I hate how my face looks. So I need to eat more and fatten my face. I just need to damage control the thighs.. so I'm eating extra calories, but marching while I do so, in the hope that the calories won't go to my thighs.

There is absolutely NO science behind this however. ^^
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        I've taken to marching around the livingroom while eating crackers...

Let me explain. So whoever put my body together had a cruel sense of humour. I'm slightly built on the top of my body, and while my torso is short, I have quite a small waist. Then it all goes to hell below the hips. I have very wide bones, and once you wrap a bit of flesh around them, it makes my legs very stocky. My thighs in particular are very wide and almost all muscle. It's basically the main cause of my body dysmorphia.

I found an exercise that shaped and toned my legs, which was awesome. But there was a limit to how much it could achieve. Now my thighs are like rocks to the touch, they're just solid muscle. I know if I starve myself I can make them slightly thinner, but when I do this, I end up so thin and gaunt on the top of my body that I look like gollum, and of course it affects my mood and general well-being. Worse is that thinner though they may be, my legs just go wobbly and seem flabby.

I can't win. I can't keep starving myself like some ill-informed teenager for the rest of my life, and I hate how my face looks. So I need to eat more and fatten my face. I just need to damage control the thighs.. so I'm eating extra calories, but marching while I do so, in the hope that the calories won't go to my thighs.

There is absolutely NO science behind this however. ^^
        Maybe you should just learn to like your body shape...

None of us are ever gonna look like supermodels unless we won the genetic lotto for looks.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Maybe you should just learn to like your body shape...

None of us are ever gonna look like supermodels unless we won the genetic lotto for looks.
          Funny you should mention that. I wasn't going to mention it because it's so cheesy, but hey, it's therapy. I've been doing a daily visualisation where I send my thighs love and tell myself I accept my body as it is. One of my biggest issues is when I wear jeans. They make me look really bad, like really emphasize how bulbous my thighs are. It's only the top 3 or 4 inches that are really bad, because that exercise I was doing slimmed down the lower thigh quite well, so I decided that I'll start looking for some longer tops that hide the tops of my legs. My boss is obsessed with mirrors too, so there is a mirror in almost every room, and large full-length mirrors in two rooms. I daresay the fact that I constantly have to look at myself in clothes that make me feel fat, hasn't help my body issues much. Not dressing that way for work is a good place to start.

I have thought about taking self-defense classes so I can learn to use these powerhouses of mine as a weapon. I have no upper body strength, but the large muscles in my thighs are powerful (if I need to move something heavy like a wardrobe, I can't move it with my arms, but if I set on the floor and use my legs it moves easily ^^). So maybe learning to use them properly will give me a sense of purpose. Along the same vein, I've started doing yoga again. It's something I go back to every few months, but I never do more than basic asanas. Maybe I should train myself to be able to do advanced poses that require strong muscles. Although my lack of upper body strength might prove too much of a barrier.

For now, JP and I are doing a workout 3 times a week that mainly works your arms and shoulders. I'm continuing with the leg lifts, and we both do the plank, which seems to be good for upper body strength as well as working the core. So hopefully if I keep these up, I'll be better able to master advanced yoga poses. Maybe then I'll feel like I earned my big muscles, and might even be proud of them. I'll start doing basic stretches to improve flexibility for now. If nothing else, the yoga might help to improve my state of mind and general well-being. Of course, I'm still going to march around the room eating crackers to fatten my face in the meantime though. ^^

I think the yoga threads are all locked, so don't be surprised if you get a pm asking for them to be unlocked in a few weeks... assuming I stick to this latest master plan of mine.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yoga and dance are my go-to exercise/stress release outlets.

Though I'm going to try to encourage the hubby to go walking and possibly do some core-building exercises with me to try and combat his sciatica.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              yes yes. Anything to help me stay motivated. Right now I can only do the gym on my two days off. But I do it no matter what!

Er then again I ride my bike to work every day. So there's that too.

So I did 3 miles on the treadmill last night and plan on getting my run on again Friday night. That is if I don't pass out before hand as I'm working a double tomorrow.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              I think the yoga threads are all locked, so don't be surprised if you get a pm asking for them to be unlocked in a few weeks... assuming I stick to this latest master plan of mine.
              Yoga is something I have always wanted to do but never have. I know there are tons of youtube videos and the likes but I don't know where to start.
              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

My day off is Sunday. Tired or not I'm hitting the pool!

Keep keeping me motivated!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                  Yoga is something I have always wanted to do but never have. I know there are tons of youtube videos and the likes but I don't know where to start.
                  Start by going to a sanctuary. There, you can learn face to face from a teacher and he or she can show you how to modify moves to suit your body. If you spend some time and money in a sanctuary first, that will give you some good grounding to then go on with youtube videos.

Meanwhile, you've been here a year now!? I can't believe how fast that has been.

Comment

I'm only doing basic stretches to improve my flexibility, and breathing exercises. I've also started jogging indoors again (I can't exercise outside because I break out in a horrific rash that won't go away until I stop moving altogether, which isn't possible if I'm away from my home and not near a seat. Just walking a few meters with it is agonizing). I figured it's time I started focusing on improving my overall health.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse the double post. I figured while I'm feeling brave and posting pics, I'd share some images of those dreaded legs I keep moaning about.. I dunno, it feels like some kind of therapy for me to go public with my flaws like this. A breakthrough of sorts..

So first, my legs when I'm wearing a skirt.. The mirrors have actually chopped off a cm or two from above the knee, but even with that shortening, you can see that while not exactly twigs, unless I become a celebrity, I doubt many people would call my legs fat.
                    Spoiler!

And now.. those same legs in jeans.. (taken at while at work last night)...

Spoiler!

So now you know the culprits.. the cause of my 15 year battle with my weight. It stops now though. You all have my permission to slap me (or throw cats at me.. I'm looking at you Medusa), if I start complaining about my weight, or mention any kind of crash diet in future! I'm getting too old for this rubbish. Before I know it the years will have flown by and I'll look back on this photos and think 'sheesh, was that all it was?'

Comment

Finally figured out how to do finger push ups properly! That and swimming much longer
                      My Divination Shop

Comment

Had my day off and had to do my laundry early this afternoon. Wasn't going to hit the pool. But I did at 8pm tonight. Better late then never! It felt so great. Can't wait to go back on Monday.

Comment

Yay! 45 minutes of swimming at the gym. Feel relaxed.

Comment

Duce got my 2 miles in today.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                              Duce got my 2 miles in today.
                              Oh good job workout buddy!

Comment

oh yeah. I got there!
                                swimming session and Jacuzzi done.

Comment