Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Working it out!

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Re: Working it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    What do you mean by crawl stroke? I've never heard of it, but I'm a swim teacher here in Oz. Can you give it another name? And I should be able to give you some tips.
    I guess the other term (possibly more widely used) is the freestyle. Face down, arms alternating. But it's kind of a non-issue now anyway. My older sister used to be on the swim team through her high school years and she gave me some breathing tips. Feel free to tip away if you still want, though.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Asatru

Well my run has taken a hit. I added a whole minute and some to my 2mi. I've only been running once a week though. Hoping to get back into it. I'm a decent swimmer I suppose, I haven't actually swam laps in 15yrs. Back in boy scout camp. Wow that's been longer than I thought.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

Ah freestyle! Now that's a stroke I know! Never heard it called crawl stroke, though it makes sense...

Things I talk to kids about with the breathing include breathing every 3rd stroke (so alternate sides), blow out underwater so when you surface you only have to breathe in, don't turn your head to far around, just so your mouth is just out of the water (though this takes practise, naturally you want to get as far away from the water to breathe!) and take care that you only turn your head to the side, as in looking over your shoulder, definitely don't look up!

Hope that helps.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

I gave up the gym. But I did make an awesome purchase. My own ex bike. I love it! So I'm about to finish my din din and get on for my 30 minutes bike ride. Even though it was expensive, it was worth it. My doc congratulated me after my last doc visit. Said all my numbers were great! So..guys out there..don't give up. Find a way to move and just move 30 minutes a day!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

No working out for me. I've started getting the hives even from just walking. I used to walk everywhere. I can't even use the wii. I get the rash all over my forearms and chest if I use the wii, and get it on my legs and ass if I walk or run. The doctors gave up on my rash when the antihistamines stopped working. Swimming is the only form of working out that doesn't cause the rash, but I can't get to the pool without it flaring up, because I have to wolk there. When I reach the pool, I scratch so hard that I have lines of purple dots all over my legs where I've broken the capillaries, which doesn't help my confidence when I have to wear a swimsuit. So I'm just trying not to eat much, which I guess won't be helping my low mood. I'm still putting on weight though and I can't stop it. I'm pretty miserable.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2006
    Phrase

So, hubby started going to the gym with me which is cool. He likes to walk on the treadmill but then joins me in the pool later. I did find that I take longer breaks between laps when he's around because we end up chatting. I need to cut that down, lol. But it's nice that he's there because we keep each other motivated.
    I'm getting better, too. Doing more freestyle than breast stroke or back stroke. The breathing bit is still a challenge, but I've only been at it for a month so I don't expect to be an expert just yet.

Heka, do you have any tips for legs and arms for the freestyle? Like, is there a better way to position your hands/fingers and a certain way to try and kick with the legs? I mainly ask because I just don't know if I'm giving my legs a good enough work out and even tweaked my knee earlier this week so it was difficult to walk on for a couple of days. I tend to keep my fingers together ad straight but am I supposed to cup them under water to help push better? (I never had any formal swim training... everything I know has been from teaching myself and doing some research on the web).
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    Sneak Attack

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    I'm getting better, too. Doing more freestyle than breast stroke or back stroke. The breathing bit is still a challenge, but I've only been at it for a month so I don't expect to be an expert just yet.

Heka, do you have any tips for legs and arms for the freestyle? Like, is there a better way to position your hands/fingers and a certain way to try and kick with the legs? I mainly ask because I just don't know if I'm giving my legs a good enough work out and even tweaked my knee earlier this week so it was difficult to walk on for a couple of days. I tend to keep my fingers together ad straight but am I supposed to cup them under water to help push better? (I never had any formal swim training... everything I know has been from teaching myself and doing some research on the web).
    Glad to hear things are getting better. The breathing will come, focus on the rhythm. (That makes sense to me but then I teach music... Hmm)

In regards to legs, the movement should come from your hips, but your hips should stay flat in the water... Does that make sense? Kick from the thighs, definitely not the knees (that may be why your knees hurt). Keep your knees and ankles floppy, and they should just follow your thighs.

Arms: you are not a windmill. Your elbows should come out first then your fingers go in first. I get kids to practise elbows out first by trying to swim like a chicken (think, hands tucked in armpits). You don't get anywhere, but you feel elbows out. Underwater you can windmill it a bit more. Try cupping your hands, you may find it working for you. (Unfortunately it's winter here and no indoor swimming pools, so I can't go and test out any of this for you).

Remember though that you don't want to work yourself too hard. It's not about working hard, it's about working efficiently, in a way that allows your body to move naturally. And the more efficiently you work, the further you can go! So more calories! Yay!

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Oct 2006
    Phrase

Outstanding! I will try these tips tonight at the gym and report my experience after. Thank you again Heka!
    Sneak Attack

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Yay! I hope it works, glad I can help!

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Oct 2006
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Yay! I hope it works, glad I can help!
    Turns out, that was all excellent advice! I never realized how stiff I kept my knees and ankles before. My endurance went WAY up! I was able to keep swimming without long breaks like before and the elbow out first was also awesome.

I found that if I close my eyes when I get air, I can gauge the timing better whereas when I keep my eyes open, I focus on something on the walls or a door or a person walking and mess up the timing, not to mention, my head doesn't stay to the side like it should. I tend to look "up" more with my eyes open. So, when I close them while getting air, I can get right back to swimming and following the colored tile/lines on the bottom of the pool.

I definitely feel like I did a million times better tonight than I even thought I would. Ace advice!
    Sneak Attack