This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Working it out!

Thanks Thal. Luckily I chose not to take any pain medication in the end. I'll just stick to the jogging for the time being then.

I bought JP some heavier dumbells this morning. Do you think I'd be okay to do some weights with him tonight? It's our usual routine, so they work muscles that are used to being worked. I know muscles don't move in isolation though, so I'm not sure if it'll be risky if my core muscles are still sore (today I feel like I've been kicked in the lower ribs!).

No worries if you don't see this post in time. I'll just stick to jogging if you don't reply.

In future, I think I'll do a few Just Dance dances to warm up before doing press ups and sit ups. They include some light stretching and you're constantly moving so that's probably the best warm up based on the advise so far!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I cut down trees and carry large pieces of wood around woodland. And then chop it. That's all the exercise I need. I even do it in my free time I enjoy it so much. It actually works. Last week I lost 2lbs, my body fat has gone down and my hydration levels have gone up. I'm on the scales weekly, and body fat and body water are far more important than weight. If all my fat is converted to muscle, 'technically' I will weigh more out the same, so that doesn't matter. BF and BW along with subjective awareness of my fitness.

I can't stand the gym.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        Thanks Thal. Luckily I chose not to take any pain medication in the end. I'll just stick to the jogging for the time being then.

I bought JP some heavier dumbells this morning. Do you think I'd be okay to do some weights with him tonight? It's our usual routine, so they work muscles that are used to being worked. I know muscles don't move in isolation though, so I'm not sure if it'll be risky if my core muscles are still sore (today I feel like I've been kicked in the lower ribs!).

No worries if you don't see this post in time. I'll just stick to jogging if you don't reply.

In future, I think I'll do a few Just Dance dances to warm up before doing press ups and sit ups. They include some light stretching and you're constantly moving so that's probably the best warm up based on the advise so far!
        You should be alright. Make sure you do your stretches before hand and take it easy. If its painful.. too painful(your already sore so most working out right now is going to be a little painful till you warm up) then stop and do something else.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

My calves are still killing me from Insanity plyometric cardio circuit. THEY HURTS.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Looks like I'm over the worst of it. My stomach is still a little sore, but the rest of me has recovered enough that I can start doing press ups again!

Also, I jogged to the Muppets Movie soundtrack this morning. Didn't exactly go with the dark and gloomy scenery of the path from Solitude to Windhelm, but it made it much more fun!

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            My calves are still killing me from Insanity plyometric cardio circuit. THEY HURTS.
            This happened to me when I first started my jogging routine. I was walking funny for days. I didn't want to stop the routine but it was too painful to jog, so instead I marched to the videos, swinging my arms as I went! I've jogged in the past and never had this before, but as Thal said, my muscles probably don't recover as quickly as they did when I was younger, so it was probably that. I'm glad to say my calves have never hurt since, so I guess keeping up the routine has made them stronger and more able to cope.

On a vaguely related point, something I'm really pleased about is that I can tolerate the cold much better than I could a year ago. It's 13 degrees (Celsius) right now in here. 13! I can see my breath when I breath out because I'm drinking hot tea, but I'm quite comfortable. I know it's partly because of the increased iodine in my diet, but I'd like to think my metabolism is working better because I'm actually replacing calories lost through exercise instead of exercising only to reduce my net calorie intake, so my body is fitter and more able to regulate its temperature.

Amazingly, even though I'm focusing only on my physical health, instead of trying to force my body into a shape it doesn't want to be, I'm actually within my weight comfort-zone at 7.6 stone (106lb). Not that I'm letting myself stand on the scales too often. That was the first time I'd weighed myself in about 2 months. Considering that at my very worst points, I could check the scale 5 or 6 times a day, I think I'm doing okay! I'm a bit worried about how I'll react if/when my weight reaches 8 stone though. That is still well within a healthy BMI for me, but that's the weight I always had a fear of reaching. That'll be the biggest test of how far I've come I guess.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Just remind yourself that muscle is much much heavier then fat is. So as you go you going to start building muscle and that will cause a little weight gain. But your kickin ass and taken names and don't let that worry. Keep rocking out ma'am!!!!
              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Amazingly, even though I'm focusing only on my physical health, instead of trying to force my body into a shape it doesn't want to be, I'm actually within my weight comfort-zone at 7.6 stone (106lb). Not that I'm letting myself stand on the scales too often. That was the first time I'd weighed myself in about 2 months. Considering that at my very worst points, I could check the scale 5 or 6 times a day, I think I'm doing okay! I'm a bit worried about how I'll react if/when my weight reaches 8 stone though. That is still well within a healthy BMI for me, but that's the weight I always had a fear of reaching. That'll be the biggest test of how far I've come I guess.
                Jembru, I listened to a podcast recently called 'Women, food, and God' you might enjoy. It's an interview with Geneen Roth who applied a Buddhist outlook on wellness and body image. In the interview, she touches on moving past the restrictions of 'ideal.' It goes for about 45 min. I'll find the link.

Comment

Comment

Wow, thanks for that! I'll check that out right away. I love listening to stuff like this anyway, so it's ideal for me.

Also, thanks for the encouragement Kaylnraye. I'll try to keep that in mind!

Comment

Well, I enjoyed the podcast, thank you! One thing though.. her 'guidelines' are almost an exact copy of those in Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Thin'.. I wonder if one has ripped off the other, or if they're just logical conclusions?

Seriously.. I mean, it's like a carbon copy of Paul's rules.

Sorry for the slight derail there everyone.

Edit: And for the double post. I thought it would merge this with the one above.

Comment

I went swimming this evening. Still trying to unknot the left side of my body after my fall. I'm super sleeeeepy. yay.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

50 Sit ups every day (to at least slow my gut)
                          walk dogs 3-4 times a week
                          free weights 5 times a week
                          sword drill for 40 mins 3 times a week again soon (I hope) can't do anything that might vibrate my skull since surgery or the clots fall out really disgusting when that happens
                          Hoping to rip out my garden in half hour blocks soon too (See above)
                          Still afraid I'm not doing enough (Although my gut IS receding - slowly)
                          I dont weigh myself - no point If I go by the BMI I'd have to drop to 70-75 kilos - and last time I was that I was skin and bones - when I exercise I put on muscle and weight - prolly be 85- 87 by the time I get the gut gone (About 80 atm) I put on fat when i lose muscle mass and I need a fair amount of strength in case I have to go back to pub security.

Comment

I've recently taken up Irish step dancing. I saw people doing it on TV and thought for someone who tends to have bulky thighs it would be ideal exercise. How right I was! It isn't just kicking. You point your toes like in ballet and stand with the feet turned out so that your legs are constantly twisting from the thigh and flexing. Add to that the aerobic aspect and you have a lovely little workout for muscular legs! My inner thigh in particular seems to be working hard because I ache a bit when I first wake up.

It's addictive too. Every now and then almost mindlessly, I'm getting up and practicing my steps. Just a few minutes is enough to get me out of breath too! So glad I stumbled on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X