2011 Garden Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Garden Plans?

With spring on its way (sometime soon, hopefully), I've been pondering ideas for the veggie gardens. What about you? What are you hoping to grow this year? Share you plans!

I'd like to focus more on the fruit orchard so I'm scaling back on the veggies- just some corn, pumpkins, and bottle gourds. Hubby can have the bulk of the space for his canning veggies and cooking herbs. I also like to grow some flowers in pots on the back porch so I can watch for butterflies and hummingbirds. Last year I tried strawberries in pots, but the resident chipmunks ended up getting to the fruit before I did!

My orchard is still pretty young and I haven't gotten much fruit from it so far, but it's also a big job that I haven't given myself sufficient time to focus on yet. My hope is that with some extra TLC this year (in terms of regular spraying and fertilizing) I can encourage more trees to start producing fruit. Fingers crossed, at least.
    "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
    Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Re: 2011 Garden Plans?

I'm thinking I'd like to try again at an herbal garden. Last time was less than successful.
    Sleep, my friend, and you will see
    That dream is my reality

Comment

We've got new raised beds so there will be veggies and herbs and I'm thinking of getting some of the upright cordon fruit trees available. I might do the seed order this evening now I come to think of it.
      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

This year I'll be growing pumpkins, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries for fruits and vegetables. Mostly it's going to be herbs - thyme, rosemary, basil, mint, garlic, sunflowers, sage, and maybe a few other things.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

this year I am trying some heritage tomatoes, corn, pumpkins, maybe some peppers, and lots of hebs!

since it is still in the -10 to -15c here and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground, I have a while to wait
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

we are moving, so have no clue if we will get a garden in early enough or if we will even have room
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Oh! I forgot, I also want to grow a good bit of lavender this year. I've been using a ton of it for cooking and making salves and incense, so might be worth it to try to get some growing.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Lavender? ... Blech ... I had some cookies from a friend that had lavender in them ... Yuchie poo ... I think she put a bush in each batch ...
                Last edited by magusphredde; 20 Feb 2011, 17:12. Reason: can't speel ... blonde finners ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                  Lavender? ... Blech ... I had some cookies from a friend that had lavender in them ... Yuchie poo ... I think she put a bush in each batch ...
                  lavender cookies...yuk!
                  I love lavender for the scent, it is wonderful in soap and sachets.

Comment

Originally posted by Celest View Post
                    lavender cookies...yuk!
                    They can be good if you don't add in the whole bush... Definitely a flavor that benefits from a bit more subtle use. Love to use it in teas, or jams (blueberry lavender jam is great stuff), and lavender sugar is great for making honey scones and almond biscotti. Just can't go to heavy with it (but too much of any flavor can ruin a great dish).
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I plan on serrano peppers, basil, parsley, etc., but mostly in pots, not in the ground.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I would love to start a wee garden. It sounds so therapeutic that I think I might. I'm not too sure where to start though. X
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                          They can be good if you don't add in the whole bush... Definitely a flavor that benefits from a bit more subtle use. Love to use it in teas, or jams (blueberry lavender jam is great stuff), and lavender sugar is great for making honey scones and almond biscotti. Just can't go to heavy with it (but too much of any flavor can ruin a great dish).
                          true, good point!
                          I do like it in my tea, and I would be willing to try it in a jam.

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                          I would love to start a wee garden. It sounds so therapeutic that I think I might. I'm not too sure where to start though. X
                          may I suggest that you go to a local garden center and talk to them about what grows well in your area.
                          There are so many plants that I just cannot grow here because it is too cold.

Comment

I've been seeding in stages for almost a month. I have to grow in containers because I live in St. Petersburg and my soil is actually sand. This is what I have seeded so far.

Tomatoes:
                            Black Prince
                            Costoluto Fiorentino
                            Sweet Chelsea
                            Black Cherry
                            Chocolate Cherry
                            Zebra Cherry
                            Ilda Yellow Grape
                            Cuban Yellow Grape
                            Matt's Wild Cherry
                            Sioux
                            Kimberly

Squash:
                            Benning's Green Tint
                            Papaya Pear
                            Eightball
                            Crook Neck Yellow

Cucumbers:
                            Poona Kheera
                            Crystal Apple

Peppers:
                            Red Savina
                            Chocolate Habanero
                            White Habanero
                            Ring-o-fire Cayenne
                            Purple Cayene
                            Devil Serrano
                            Jalapeno
                            Jaloro
                            Tangerine Dream
                            Dancing Spirit
                            Medusa
                            Aconcagua (sweet)
                            Sunbright (sweet)

Beans:
                            Edamame
                            Lincoln Sweet Pea
                            Fordhook Lima

Herbs:
                            Basil
                            Rosemary
                            Garlic Chives
                            Mint
                            Parsley

Comment

Nice lists, everybody! Maybe the folks who aren't in a position to do much gardening could grow one or two plants in pots?

*waits impatiently* Six more weeks before I can start my seedling trays and ten weeks until I can safely plant in frost-free conditions...
                              "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                              Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X