My Casting Fur Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Casting Fur Baby

I didn't know where to out this, so family seemed close enough for a pet topic.

My fur baby AKA Braken my house rabbit is having a really bad time of it. The poor wee baby is casting something awful. He is 2 in July and apparently he should stop casting as a house rabbit between 1 and 2. I'm thinking this might be his last major cast but its really bad. My poor wee baby is so uncomfy looking and he is all scruffy and rough. I have been brushing him everyday, morning and night and yet the fur is still coming away in big clumps.

And what is worse is I have a chest infection and his hair isn't helping. His cage is in my bedroom where he lives at night so I am breathing it in all the time. Its making getting this chest infection away really hard!

If anyone has any advice on casting bunny rabbits please let me know!

And now for some bunny love:
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: My Casting Fur Baby

I'm guessing "casting" is another term for shedding?

Poor thing!

(and another one for the UK/US English thread, lol)

Do you have somewhere you can move him? You are proly right--his hair flying around is just going to exacerbate your being sick. If he has to stay put in your room, you might want to consider putting something over his cage to at least minimize the fur that escapes into your room...though, a HEPA filter or something would proly be better.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I get allergic to my kitty when I'm a bit sick too and he loves to cuddle up next to me allllll the time.

I don't know about there but here it's hard to find an air filter, so I got a humidifier and it makes the hair and dander sit closer to the floor so it gets vacuumed.

Comment

Yeah casting is another word for shedding :P

I would love to be able to make him feel more comfortable first and foremost. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so will probably be advised to move him out of my room for the time being. Its only at night, the rest of the time he bounces around the house! So maybe he could be moved downstairs for a few days... x
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

^ good idea...by the way, he is adorable!!!
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I emailed a friend of mine that is in vet school, and she gave me a call back and said you should brush him...it will reduce the amount of hair that he might ingest from grooming. She also said that unless the hair doesn't grow back normally or his skin looks like it is irritate or has sores, its probably just his normal biannual molt, which means he only looks pitiful.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
              My fur baby AKA Braken my house rabbit is having a really bad time of it. The poor wee baby is casting something awful. He is 2 in July and apparently he should stop casting as a house rabbit between 1 and 2. I'm thinking this might be his last major cast but its really bad.
              Most of the rabbits I had would shed seasonally, 2 - 3x a year, not just once or twice during their lives. From what I understand, some breeds are more shed-prone than others - I had Dutch short-hairs that barely shed at all, and an Angora that shed all the freaking time. Like a cat. Seriously, all the time.

Brushing is extremely important, because rabbits can't hack up hairballs like cats, and self-grooming while under a heavy shed can cause them to get GI blockages. You can try lightly misting them with water before brushing to help pull out more of the fur, and some people even bathe their bunnies.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I bathed him last night :P He wasn't best pleased haha.
                Check the photos. I sat in the bath with him (clothed) so I could give him a good wash, keep him calm and brush him. So much fucking fur was everywhere and he HATED the water, but he is muhc more comfortable now and less casty. He enjoyed the drying bit though. He was sitting like a baby on my lap as I towel dried him! Wee scone

Photos:

The Before shot.

"MUM! What you doing to me?! AHH!" ((ps, that is my hair dying top, not dandruff :P ))

"Enough Mum I'm clean get me out of here!"

And the after shot.

Bless him, considering it was his first bath he was very well behaved but the poor wee lamb! He got such a fright when he realised that his wee paws were getting wet :P x

Comment

He is tooo freaking cute I miss having a bunneh around, but I has snakeys, soooo, no bunnehs.

I hope the bath works for a coupla weeks for him.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

He's my wee baby I love him to bits.
                    The bath has brought out the pattern on his face. I think he really needed the bath x

Comment

He looks SO much like our bunny, Lugh. Ours is just a Rex with tall ears instead of floppy.

Comment

Braken is a mix-breed. X

Comment

Working...
                        X