Sometimes, I hate my country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes, I hate my country.

Or at least hate a large segment of its population.

Next week, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King (R-NY) will convene a Congressional hearing to investigate the loyalty and "radicalization" of American Muslims. Earlier this week in Tennessee, a bill was proposed to make it a felony to follow sharia law -- which would essentially criminalize the practice of Islam in that state. Last year, mosques in Tennessee, Oregon and Georgia were targeted with apparent arson. The case against the Park51 community center -- including from mainstream TV journalists -- was grounded in the warped premise that Muslims generally bore guilt for the 9/11 attacks. All of these sentiments are regularly bolstered by a deranged cult-leader/TV personality followed by millions.

And last month, in Orange County, California, Tea Party members and other protesters bombarded a charity event sponsored by a Muslim group -- and the families of American Muslims entering the event -- with the most foul, hateful, threatening messages possible, while various politicians, including a member of Congress, praised the protesters. Just please watch this video, compiled by CAIR-California, to get a taste of what is happening (you can watch it below or here)
    A protest directed at American Muslim families highlights the toxic sentiments aimed at this minority

Oh noes, those horrible Muslims are at it again with their charity themed jihad against America. Women's shelters and helping the poor are obviously so anti-American.

Though i love the "Go back home," chant. I'm pretty sure most of the Muslim at this event, were born and raised in the US. So their home may only be like a few blocks down the street.
    Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Re: Sometimes, I hate my country.

So... do things like this increase anti-Muslim sentaments or do they produce an increase in sympathy toward unreasonably targeted American Muslims?

Before you indulge in hatred toward your country, figure out if the actions of those few people indicate a general attitude, or whether they represent a radical loony fringe.

The investigation referenced in the first sentence may well result in the conclusion that there is little or nothing to fear from American Muslims - in which case the loonies will loose some of the basis from which they make their present attacks.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Sadly blaming all Muslims has been an on going trend in the US since 9/11. Also there are plenty of politicians in office that are just like those in the video. While it's not the majority of Americans (at least I really hope not), it is far from a fringe group.

Oh and don't get me wrong. I don't truly hate the US. Far from it. It's just that I really don't like certain segments of it and many of its current politicians. It seems like they aren't happy unless there's someone they can crusade against.
      Cogito ergo sum.

Comment

LOL - yeah, well, you get to vote I guess... it's the Democracy problem:

Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.
        Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?
        - Robert Heinlein
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on this...I have a feeling it will be ok and it's just an attempt to keep down any dangerous radical fringes, and I have a feeling that the ban isn't on Sharia law as a whole but segments of it which clash with American law (which I think is fair enough).

Of course, a big part of me always thinks it's important to keep a watch on stuff like this because this is more or less how the holocaust started. Luckily the Nazi Party and mainstream American political parties have very little in common. Still it's important to make sure people are being respected

Comment

If I imagine a worst case senerio where Muslims are either rounded up and forcefully deported or intered in camps (as were Japanese Americans during WWII) at government instigation, I can't see enough citizens supporting it to make it work.

I live in a very redneck area, and I have little doubt that there are some who would support it - for some rednecks, all you have to do is wave the American flag three times and say "this is fo the good of the counry" and they'll do whatever you tell them to do; but I see more people - even here - who would be willing to resist - forcefully, if necessary. We've been drumming the lesson of the Nazis holocaust into kids for over 50 years now. If it hasn't taken yet, we're all doomed.

It's hard to predict how it would all paly out, but I'm pretty confident that it would result in a devestating civil war. I don't think there are many politicians who would be willing to subject this country to that kind of war - at least, I hope not.

I do know that I, for one, would be willing, at that point, to take up arms against my lawful government. I really hope I never have to though.

Comment

I wasn't saying it would realistically happen. I think most American politicians are good people at heart who just want to do the best for their country (though they differ HUGELY on what that means). I just think that, after living in the country this all went down in, people should also be aware of history and pay attention enough to make sure things don't go even a smidge in a direction where people are losing their rights because of their religion or political beliefs.

Comment

I understand - I was just elaborating .

Comment

Corbin, I don't know how it took me this long to realize this, but your name references the Bec de Corbin, doesn't it? If so, we are both total medieval nerds.

On topic, sometimes this stuff just enrages the hell out of me as well. I like to think that it's just a vocal minority, though. That keeps me from snapping, anyway.
                  "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                  -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                  without his weapons of war;
                  for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                  of a spear on the way without.
                  -

Comment

As an aside, a few weeks ago I was invited to attend a citizenship ceremony, where immigrants are finally granted British citizenship. For many of them - despite what our right wing media would have us believe - it had been years of struggle. New citizens are given the choice in the UK of affirming or swearing an oath. I was amazed that over 80% chose to swear the oath of allegiance.

I came away from that ceremony profoundly moved and enlightened. I realised that most UK citizens never get to see something like this, and I felt I had been very lucky. It's very important always to see the real people behind these events, and not the ogres and spectres conjured up by the media to frighten us.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

This, of course, makes me very mad. Obviously this stings since I love a Muslim. Thankfully in a galaxy close by, I can go live in Egypt. And hate my country from over there.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post
                        Corbin, I don't know how it took me this long to realize this, but your name references the Bec de Corbin, doesn't it? If so, we are both total medieval nerds.
                        Yup - Of the weapons I've worked with, the crow's beak is my all time favorite - it's so utterly and completely brutal, and so elegant in manipulation. The combination of brutality and elegance is... strangely compelling...

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        As an aside, a few weeks ago I was invited to attend a citizenship ceremony, where immigrants are finally granted British citizenship. For many of them - despite what our right wing media would have us believe - it had been years of struggle. New citizens are given the choice in the UK of affirming or swearing an oath. I was amazed that over 80% chose to swear the oath of allegiance.

I came away from that ceremony profoundly moved and enlightened. I realised that most UK citizens never get to see something like this, and I felt I had been very lucky. It's very important always to see the real people behind these events, and not the ogres and spectres conjured up by the media to frighten us.
                        Yeah - by and large, people who come from far away to live in a new land come there for a reason, which is usually that they feel they can get something in the new place that they couldn't get at the old one - opportunity, or certain freedoms, or something.

When I lived in Detroit, the area that I lived in was getting a lot of immigrants from Iraq. Most of them were Chaldean Christians (rather than Muslims) who were badly oppressed under Saddam. They came here because there were opportunities for them. The general procedure went like this - Somebody would come over, work hard (which usually meant 20 hours a day) and establish a business (usually a 7-11 corner store kind of thing). When they made enough money, they'd bring over some relatives who would run the business for them until they, in turn, could save enough money to buy their own, and so on.

People like this aren't interested in overthrowing the government of their new home - they're much too busy, and they don't want to turn their new government into a replica of the old one.

I have to imagine that that's true of most immigrants - they don't want things the way they were, they want things the way they are, or they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of uprooting themselves.

Yes, they bring their cultures with them because that's what feels normal and right to them. But they become Americans (or English) when they become citizens - even if their customs are different from mine.

Comment

I totally agree with the views of those protesters. They do need to go home. Every single one of them, or anyone who is not a native American needs to get the heck out of there!

Go home, damn immigrants!
                          /sarcasm
                          [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                            I totally agree with the views of those protesters. They do need to go home. Every single one of them, or anyone who is not a native American needs to get the heck out of there!

Go home, damn immigrants!
                            /sarcasm
                            Being from California. And my family being Mexican here BEFORE it belonged to the United States.. I guess I should tell you all to get the f off my land.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Being from California. And my family being Mexican here BEFORE it belonged to the United States.. I guess I should tell you all to get the f off my land.
                              No, the descendants of which ever Native American tribe controlled that region should tell it to the Americans and Mexicans. :P
                              Cogito ergo sum.

Comment

Working...
                              X