Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sometimes, I hate my country.

Originally posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
    No, the descendants of which ever Native American tribe controlled that region should tell it to the Americans and Mexicans. :P
    My family on my mother's side is from Arizona. My maternal grandfather is buried on the Indian reservation. We have Ingun in us. So yeah. Get.off.mah.land.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

LOL^

Hey, Shadow Dragon, Sometimes, I love your country:

Missouri Mormons Open Their Church To Muslim Neighbors

There are lots of goodness in people over there, we just have to bring it out and speak against those that promote fear and hate, no matter what their religion is, and let our voices be heard.
      [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
        There are lots of goodness in people over there, we just have to bring it out and speak against those that promote fear and hate, no matter what their religion is, and let our voices be heard.
        Yeah, I agree. It's just disturbing to see so much hate for no reason. Hopefully more leaders start doing like that Mormon church.
        Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          LOL^

Hey, Shadow Dragon, Sometimes, I love your country:

Missouri Mormons Open Their Church To Muslim Neighbors

D, I love that!!! I've only gotten bad news here lately, so that was like a breath of fresh air...reposted it to Facebook for my LDS friends and neighbors
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I agree with everyone about immigrants wanting to start a new life somewhere.

I have a lot of sympathy for immigrants, because I moved to a different country as well. Granted, it IS very different moving from one rich country to another (In fact, my standard of living is a step down over here from Canada.....Germany is wealthier in terms of GDP but Canadians are much richer as individuals on average. I'm here for the travel and arts!). The term "expat" is usually used to describe us over "immigrant", even if we end up staying forever. I still feel more allegiance to Canada over Germany, but I"m a citizen of both countries (I got mine through heritage). I think a lot of people forget the perspective of what it's like to be a foreigner. Over here I can especially understand tensions....Germans are totally terrible at integration and if you were born somewhere else, you're treated like a foreigner, even if you become a citizen. If you're not white, you'll be treated as a foreigner FOREVER, even if you're the third generation born in Germany, which is pretty racist and stupid. So people get really resentful because they never really feel part of society over here. I face -some- discrimination for not being "German" from the occasional moron, but mostly I just get stupid stuff like people assuming I'm a tourist ("how many days are you in Berlin for?"), which I HATE because North Americans are the second largest group of foreigners in Germany after the Turks. LOTS of us live here and I'm not even a foreign national, I'm a citizen. But I really have to admit, life is a lot easier for me than if I were Turkish, or Asian or something. At least being a native English speaker even opens some doors, even if a couple of other ones are closed. And I don't face racism, and people have more bias toward wealthy countries (it will always be assumed that I'm well educated and have a higher socioeconomic status, which serves you well here).

Basically, what I'm getting at is that when there is tension, is it because those people decided to move to a country they hate and want to hate on that place? Or is it because they face discrimination and feel marginalized? I think a lot of the people that hate on immigrants need to look at their own behaviour and how that might be what's causing the problems. Protests like this don't do anyone any favours.

Comment

You know, this wouldn't be an issue if certain parties quit mis-representing what the "war on terror" is about, and why the terrorists attacked in the first place.

Our nation has been out of line, with regards to the Middle East. Point. Blank. We've favored nations where the leaders abuse their citizens, and I've said so long before the tear gas canisters confirmed it. So, when a group of people with no constructive outlet for their grievances gets together, and their happens to be a religious radical among them, something changes, and people act rashly. This article is just more evidence that the US is doing the same friggin thing that the terrorists did - blame it on the fact that "they don't believe the right thing".

Meanwhile, the US has a chance to address the real issue - which is halfway solving itself via Democratic uprisings. We have the chance to meet them the rest of the way by embracing a free middle east - forming new relationships with their people.

Or is it only sufficiently Democratic when it's at the barrel of an American gun, specifically for our national interests? These right wing idiots show their colors by claiming that populist uprisings are *all* purely to institute religious law, and that Muslims *have to be terrorists*. This does nothing but alienate everyone that "doesn't look christian enough" (to quote a local).
              "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
              http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
              "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
              http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
              "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
              http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

I see these same sort of sentiments in Australia. There's all this media hype about "boat people" and "illegal asylum seekers" that just makes me want to throw up. It's reached the point where the media outlets took an actual story - immigrants escaping from detention centres - and made it about evil boat people (the immigrants were actually Europeans and North American's who had overstayed their visas, not "boat people"). I watch shows like QandA (panel discussion show) and some of the questions the panelists are asked are so filled with vile.

Comment

^^^

Yeah I would imagine that a lot of illegals in Australia are Euros and North Americans who overstayed visas. I think I personally know a couple of people who fit into that category. Lots of people just want to stay a little longer but they don't really let your renew it :/ But I bet the right wingers don't point any fingers at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    My family on my mother's side is from Arizona. My maternal grandfather is buried on the Indian reservation. We have Ingun in us. So yeah. Get.off.mah.land.
                    My paternal grandfather is Chickasaw but my mother's side is English/Irish. Part native and part invader.....do I stay or do I go?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                      My paternal grandfather is Chickasaw but my mother's side is English/Irish. Part native and part invader.....do I stay or do I go?
                      Well, as K'ung-fu-tzu says: "No matter where you go, there you are."
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I love this country. And the ability for idiots to open their mouths and prove how stupid they really are without having to worry about being censored.

I could have been born in Cuba in 1973. So maybe I have a viewpoint that is extremely different than those who didn't almost have that life hanging over their heads.

Comment

Working...
                        X