Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong Quake Shakes Japan

SAUCE

I just turned on my tv and saw video on the news. I can't even begin to understand what I am seeing. I just saw what maybe was a river sweep down a building down the street. I am seeing boats in the water along cars. I have no idea if this is ocean or ground. :=(:
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Strong Quake Shakes Japan

I was watching the USGS website, earlier, and saw this. The massive quake, frighteningly intense aftershocks, as well as the tsunami and subsequent warnings all around the Pacific, all have me concerned for friends around the world.

I know we've had members in Japan and all up and down the Pacific coast of the US and Canada - I'm going to be more than a bit tense until I hear from everyone I know in those affected regions. This thing was huge!

And it's not over yet.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

and now they have issued a nuclear warning as their reactors are comprimised,

What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I have a cousin in Japan. I'm still waiting to hear.

Comment

I'm waiting to hear from friends in Japan...and waiting for the tsunami to hit Hawaii--we have friends stationed there...thankfully, the tsunami warning is over for Guam--we have friends there as well.

...lets just say, I have my one and only candle in the hotel lit.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I hope all is ok Storm!

I just saw it on the news, its so scary! 200-300 bodies have been found so far. x
            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

And people in my state are still complaining they have to pay extra for their insurance. I would think something like this would bring perspective; certainly gave me a good dose of it. I feel stupid for even bothering to argue about it.

I bet though, that Japan will recover quickly. I have faith.

Comment

I have a friend in Japan. She's in th mountains, so ok for tidal waves, but is near one of the compromised nuclear reactors. It's so scary First floods in Queensland and Pakistan, earthquake in NZ, bush fires in WA... As soon as one natural disaster leaves, another takes it's place

Comment

I have a friend in Tokyo....he posted that he's ok.

I hope they're able to sort out the damage quickly.

When you think about it though, even though the tsunami damage sucks and there's a lot of earthquake damage as well, it's actually probably the best it could possibly be with an earthquake of that magnitude. You see pictures of houses where the pavement is cracked and the house has sunk under, but it's still in tact. It's EXTREMELY important that buildings on fault lines are earthquake safe and I think Japan's understanding of that has saved this from being even worse than it is.

I'm a bit more worried about the nuclear reactor issue....hope they sort that out soon.

Comment

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I bet though, that Japan will recover quickly. I have faith.
                      I really think they will. Unlike Haiti last year, Japan has the infrastructure and the wealth to deal with this sort of thing. They're also one of the most "earthquake prepared" places in the world.

Comment

So while watching the new I found that a swimmer off our coast was caught in the tsunami waves moving across our ocean. I mean, yes I am sad. The person hasn't been found. But..you had 6 fucking hours of TSUNAMI WARNINGS going on all over every radio and tv station here. And still you go swimming in the ocean. And now look at where you are.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Japan is pretty earthquake prone, so they know how to build stuff. If the reactor gets too big a problem, they can just flush it with coolant. Expensive, but not devastating. Which doesn't change the fact that the death toll is climbing and lives are shattered forever

Comment

We're assuming that my family is okay since they're in the Kyushu area, which I guess wasn't hit with anything. My Grandmother doesn't want to call for a few days because she doesn't want to tie up the lines with a non-emergency call. She's been watching the news on the Japan TV satellite since it happened, though.

My friend and her husband are over there as well, and I can't get over it... They've been planning this trip for years and looking forward to it for so long, and this is the week they picked to go to Japan. :/
                            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                              We're assuming that my family is okay since they're in the Kyushu area, which I guess wasn't hit with anything. My Grandmother doesn't want to call for a few days because she doesn't want to tie up the lines with a non-emergency call. She's been watching the news on the Japan TV satellite since it happened, though.

My friend and her husband are over there as well, and I can't get over it... They've been planning this trip for years and looking forward to it for so long, and this is the week they picked to go to Japan. :/
                              It's things like this that brings such a disaster home, for me. I'm both fearful and hopeful. And all I can do is wait. It's agonizing, waiting for word.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              So while watching the new I found that a swimmer off our coast was caught in the tsunami waves moving across our ocean. I mean, yes I am sad. The person hasn't been found. But..you had 6 fucking hours of TSUNAMI WARNINGS going on all over every radio and tv station here. And still you go swimming in the ocean. And now look at where you are.
                              Asshats like that swimmer need to be charged for every cent of the search and rescue efforts. It's a corpse that's finally found: the estate is billed. That crap goes way beyond any garden variety ignorance or stupidity. I guess it's good, though, that we can self regulate some of the genepool, this way.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X