My cat is having weight issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cat is having weight issues

This has been going on a while, but he doesn't seem to have any health problems and he seems happy. His appetite dropped a bit in late summer and early winter, but now it's back full force and he's eating like a little pig. Still, he's not losing now, but he's not gaining like I want him to either.
    I don't think it's pressing (like I don't think it's something that involves its own trip to the vet) as he's not losing weight anymore. He's 17 and he has great energy for his age (though he's a little slow, but I think that's expected), he's very happy and his appetite is *ahem* healthy.
    Should I bring it up though next time I go? Does it sound like he might have a problem or is it just maybe because he's old?

Re: My cat is having weight issues

It is probably just because he is old, but if you are at the vets anyways, you might as well bring it up.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Yeah next time I go for something else (because he's old something like a bladder infection or that sort of thing comes up every once and a while) I'll ask her. I want to ask her if there's anything I can do for his teeth too (he's missing a few)...probably not, but it's worth asking.

I'm glad he's still so happy for his age at least, but I worry a little bit because he is so old. So when he's a little underweight and he gets indigestion easily or doesn't wash his fur as well (I have to bathe him...he gets a little greasy) it's all normal stuff but I still worry.

Comment

Old cats do tend to shrink a bit, so you shouldn't worry too much. Definitely bring it up with the vet, though, in case there's an underlying cause. You could try putting him on kitten food for a while. It's how we got our stray up to full size.

Comment

I am actually happy too because even though he's had a low appetite for a while, he's started to be SO hungry. I feed him when he wants it but now it's even a bit tough, because I'll feed him, he'll eat it and then he'll just want more.

I'll try kitten food too though. I'd like him to gain a kilo. The vet said that for his size and frame he should be 5-7 kilos, ideally 6. He's 4.8 right now :/ He actually looks kind of fat because he has a large frame and he's fuzzy, but when I bathe him you can see he's skinny for his size.

Comment

Does your cat still have an appetite?

Mine wanted food less, but he'll pick at dry food now (oddly) and I mix in fish oil and I get him to have milk made for cats (it's lactose free milk basically), which has a lot of the nutrients they need (but lacking in fiber so it's not totally ideal) and is fattening. It works ok. I think in his old age, the milk is just easier to digest.

Comment

Maybe it's just his age, but you should get it checked out just in case it's something underlying. Is he drinking a lot of water? Also does he get regular worm treatments? Eating loads and not putting weight on can be a sign of worms (though it probably isn't if he's going to the loo ok and there's nothing unusual in his tray). My cat was quite skinny when we got him (he's about middle-aged) and it took him a little while to put weight on. But 4.8 isn't too bad

Is getting greasy fur a sign of getting older? My cat gets very tatty and dandruff-y, I think I'm going to start brushing him every day, especially if it's to do with his age.

Oh and as for his teeth, my cat has a few teeth missing and he's around 8-11- he had to have a dental at the vets to get them cleaned and have one removed. We think he had bad teeth from being a stray/not very well looked after before we got him. I don't think the vet can give your cat new teeth but they can clean up and sort out the ones he's got before they go too :3 There's also cat treats you can buy that reduce plaque and stuff, you should be able to get them from most pet shops.
              Last edited by Ravenix; 25 Apr 2011, 05:44.
              "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

I don't know how he'd get worms...he's an indoor cat. He only goes on the balcony.

He's just greasy because he doesn't clean himself very well. He does sort of a half-assed effort at licking his fur and then goes to sleep.

I tried the plaque treats...he doesn't like them. I think also that his teeth weren't well-cared for before I had him. I'm not sure if the vet will really do much...she's looked at them before and wasn't overly concerned. I heard that from some English friends as well....Germans just don't care about cat teeth for some reason. Kinda sad because I think it helps their quality of life.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  I don't know how he'd get worms...he's an indoor cat. He only goes on the balcony.

He's just greasy because he doesn't clean himself very well. He does sort of a half-assed effort at licking his fur and then goes to sleep.

I tried the plaque treats...he doesn't like them. I think also that his teeth weren't well-cared for before I had him. I'm not sure if the vet will really do much...she's looked at them before and wasn't overly concerned. I heard that from some English friends as well....Germans just don't care about cat teeth for some reason. Kinda sad because I think it helps their quality of life.
                  Aaah, if he's an indoor cat then it won't be worms XD, I didn't realise.

My cat seems to clean himself quite a bit but his back still ends up mucky and tatty. I think he just cba to reach around to his back. He does sleep a lot too...

As for the treats, there are a few different brands that are different flavours/textures etc. I normally get the ones that have a squishy centre with eucalyptus in them- Sid likes them, but he does go off them if I give him them too regularly. I just got some solid ones and he turned his nose up at those though. Fickle creatures, cats. :P
                  "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

I might look around in the UK. There just isn't a lot of selection of stuff here (even human food has a lot less selection)...maybe they'll have something he'll like! Thanks

Comment

*Update*

Since he just wasn't getting better (and also because of an incident where I thought he puked up blood, though it was just a cat treat that looked red when dissolved in stomach acid lol), I took him to the vet. He's lost more weight and is now 4.5 kilo (she said he should be 7 at his size), and she did some blood tests. He has an overactive thyroid and is now on meds!

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else has a similar issue....if you do, get it checked out! It can be harmful apparently to let it go on long-term but easy to treat.

Comment

I'm glad the vet was able to figure it out. I hope he feels better soon.

Comment

Thanks....he's on a bunch of meds for a bit. He'll have to be on thyroid meds for the rest of his life, but also for now he's on blood pressure medication because he was hypertensive (from his thyroid problem) and he's on some kidney stuff as well because the thyroid medicine is bad for his kidneys and the vet is worried that it could cause problems, because he's old.

Comment

*Update 2*

Kitty has been on his meds for almost a month, and he gained a bit but then stopped eating and lost more weight than before. I took him to the vet for his follow up though, and I got the call on Monday that he's alright (all tests on all his vitals came out with positive results!) and so we're mostly just working to feed him things he likes and manage the hairball situation that he's somehow developed after taking his meds. He's gained a bit of weight in the past week already and I'm really optimistic!

He really fought me with his pills for a bit, and he was keeping them in his mouth and faking swallowing, but I caught on and check now, and he's somehow learned that the quicker he swallows the pill, the quicker it's all over haha.

Comment

That's great to hear! And yeah, once cats learn that it's just easier to let things get done with they adapt.
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                              surrounded by plush, downy things,
                              ill prepared, but willing,
                              to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X