This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative Building Ideas

"[QUOTE=Sparrowings;7874]I'm a big fan of earth lodges and viking pit houses. Yet, dirt floors are hard to keep clean though..."

The way many vikings dealt with dirt floors may surprise you. I believe it was ultra pasteurized milk, a small amount of dung and the top layer of dirt all mixed up and put back down that many folk used and it created a surface that after a while may have been hard and polished enough to sweep like a wood floor. I have seen this mentioned in several if not many articles i have read on the subject so It seems like a fairly probably solution.

Comment

I used to work with an Irishman who grew up in a very traditional cottage. Once a year they would clear everything out of the downstairs, which had a dirt floor, and they would "puddle" the dirt to make the sort of smooth, hard surface that norseman describes. So it was still being done in Ireland in the 20th century.

Comment

Re: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

nifty tutorial I found...

...their site has tons of cool stuff
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Making my own food is my personal life goal. Sooooo hard though, I don't think I'll honestly ever fulfill it.

Comment

I saw this and thought someone here might be interested:
            Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

It's a heathen community based in the countryside north of Toronto, Canada.

Comment

Haven't had the chance to read all the other posts but for those that are in a more urban environment you can talk to your local municipal energy company about offsetting your electricity supply with renewables..the best way is to produce your own and sell it back but for those who don't have that option you can buy alternative credits which you purchase in bulk order and use throughout the year to offset your energy use. Bit more of a sting in the summers but you can run your electricity on 100% renewables without too much additional burden.

Comment

There are also: http://earthship.com/

I've seen a few designs and would love to take some design ideas from this.

Comment

A new, easier beehive... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...m-your-beehive
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I've seen that, and am all gaga over it!

If I can ever build a bear-proof barrier and get back into the bee business, Imma gonna play with that...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That is really cool. Then again, I love honey... so honey on tap = win.

Comment

Anyone have build yurts or cobb house?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone build yurts or cobb house?

Comment

No, but I did know someone for a while who lived in one.

A yurt, that is.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            No, but I did know someone for a while who lived in one.

A yurt, that is.
                            Did they get a kit or build it themselves? We looking at a plot of land and either buy a house or build on it. Husband doesn't like cobb because of how much work it seems to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Wenny View Post
                              Did they get a kit or build it themselves? We looking at a plot of land and either buy a house or build on it. Husband doesn't like cobb because of how much work it seems to be.
                              I believe they had a kit. The yurt is nice & big & roomy...

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                                If you live near dairies then you could probably get a few 3-day calves ... Name them Sir Loin and Mister T Bone ... I had a few Jerseys which are not really beefy, more milk cows ... But in 9 months they made good veal ... A pleasant change from the 200 pounds of salmon, clams, oysters and sturgeon I had ...
                                And now I care for 7 chickens, 11 ducks and a goose ... Chicken eggs are good ... duck is better to me ... more and different favor ... less white tho ... Yolks are so thick they don't run like chicken yolks when you pop them ... Goose eggs are great ... if you bow them out you can carve the shes ... make great ornaments and momentos ...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wenny View Post
                                Anyone have build yurts or cobb house?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone build yurts or cobb house?
                                local state park has 6 yurts for rent ... Year round too ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X