The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

No, but I did know someone for a while who lived in one.

A yurt, that is.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Feb 2015
    Religion
    Christo Celtic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    No, but I did know someone for a while who lived in one.

A yurt, that is.
    Did they get a kit or build it themselves? We looking at a plot of land and either buy a house or build on it. Husband doesn't like cobb because of how much work it seems to be.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Wenny View Post
    Did they get a kit or build it themselves? We looking at a plot of land and either buy a house or build on it. Husband doesn't like cobb because of how much work it seems to be.
    I believe they had a kit. The yurt is nice & big & roomy...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Quote Originally Posted by magusjinx View Post
    If you live near dairies then you could probably get a few 3-day calves ... Name them Sir Loin and Mister T Bone ... I had a few Jerseys which are not really beefy, more milk cows ... But in 9 months they made good veal ... A pleasant change from the 200 pounds of salmon, clams, oysters and sturgeon I had ...
    And now I care for 7 chickens, 11 ducks and a goose ... Chicken eggs are good ... duck is better to me ... more and different favor ... less white tho ... Yolks are so thick they don't run like chicken yolks when you pop them ... Goose eggs are great ... if you bow them out you can carve the shes ... make great ornaments and momentos ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wenny View Post
    Anyone have build yurts or cobb house?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone build yurts or cobb house?
    local state park has 6 yurts for rent ... Year round too ...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

Firing this thread back to live, since I've always been interested in living a life closer to nature and our natural roots. And it's spring on this side of the planet! My dream is to one day live in a little farm house, growing my own veggies and selling natural products. So starting small in our own garden.

For the first time we finally have our own veggie garden. We have two raised beds. One for vegetables. The other for herbs and some potatoes. We also have a border for plants and flowers to attract bees and butterflies. Tiny plants are now starting to pop up from the ground. I'm excited!

I just wanted to share our garden renovation so far. The previous renters only had boxwood plants, which was very boring:
    before.jpg

I pulled everything out including the removal of the ivy on the fence. Then we placed the beds and planted the seeds. This is after:
    after.jpg

The little sticks in the beds were an attempt of my boyfriend to keep the cat off XD She doesn't care though.
    So I hope to eat from our garden soon!

Are any of you growing your own veggies? Or doing any homesteading this year?
    Wherever you are in life is exactly where you need to be right now.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Firing this thread back to live, since I've always been interested in living a life closer to nature and our natural roots. And it's spring on this side of the planet! My dream is to one day live in a little farm house, growing my own veggies and selling natural products. So starting small in our own garden.

For the first time we finally have our own veggie garden. We have two raised beds. One for vegetables. The other for herbs and some potatoes. We also have a border for plants and flowers to attract bees and butterflies. Tiny plants are now starting to pop up from the ground. I'm excited!

Are any of you growing your own veggies? Or doing any homesteading this year?
    It looks great!

We are not growing anything this year, except potted trees, two of which have volunteer tomatoes growing with them (I have a meyer lemon, a satsuma, a key lime, an olive tree, and a dwarf pomegrante), a dragonfruit, a pot of loquat seeds I'm trying to sprout, and Harvey, my tea plant (shrub?)...all of which I have to get to Illinois to my mom's house if we are moving, since I'm pretty sure transporting plants oversease is a no-go.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

We built two raised beds this weekend too! I've got four berry bushes in the ground that are 3 years old so I should hopefully get more fruit off them this year, a dwarf peach tree, I've got a few more years before I get fruit off it and then I'll be planting corn, butternut squash, pickling cucumbers, okra, watermelon, and arugula. I'll have tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, basil and chives from my in laws. I'm hoping to can/freeze a lot of it. We'll see how I do.

Elanor your beds look fantastic!

58372877_2388731297857251_2785577017792266240_n.jpg58383608_593074484507156_8684429043652624384_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We might make them taller next year but I figured to start we'd 24 inches and see how it does.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect