Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

Feb 2014
    Religion
    Old Norse/Heathen

Re: Alternative Building Ideas

"[QUOTE=Sparrowings;7874]I'm a big fan of earth lodges and viking pit houses. Yet, dirt floors are hard to keep clean though..."

The way many vikings dealt with dirt floors may surprise you. I believe it was ultra pasteurized milk, a small amount of dung and the top layer of dirt all mixed up and put back down that many folk used and it created a surface that after a while may have been hard and polished enough to sweep like a wood floor. I have seen this mentioned in several if not many articles i have read on the subject so It seems like a fairly probably solution.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan

I used to work with an Irishman who grew up in a very traditional cottage. Once a year they would clear everything out of the downstairs, which had a dirt floor, and they would "puddle" the dirt to make the sort of smooth, hard surface that norseman describes. So it was still being done in Ireland in the 20th century.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2014
    Religion
    Shamanistic Pantheism
    Phrase
    All you need is love

Making my own food is my personal life goal. Sooooo hard though, I don't think I'll honestly ever fulfill it.

Feb 2014
    Religion
    Spirit Filled, Born Again, and Empowered by the Living Christ

I saw this and thought someone here might be interested:
    http://cliffsidekindred.blogspot.ca/...rs-wanted.html

It's a heathen community based in the countryside north of Toronto, Canada.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Tao-Witch (I draw from both Eastern & Western practices)
    Phrase
    Live, Learn, Love.

Haven't had the chance to read all the other posts but for those that are in a more urban environment you can talk to your local municipal energy company about offsetting your electricity supply with renewables..the best way is to produce your own and sell it back but for those who don't have that option you can buy alternative credits which you purchase in bulk order and use throughout the year to offset your energy use. Bit more of a sting in the summers but you can run your electricity on 100% renewables without too much additional burden.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Tao-Witch (I draw from both Eastern & Western practices)
    Phrase
    Live, Learn, Love.

There are also: http://earthship.com/

I've seen a few designs and would love to take some design ideas from this.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I've seen that, and am all gaga over it!

If I can ever build a bear-proof barrier and get back into the bee business, Imma gonna play with that...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

That is really cool. Then again, I love honey... so honey on tap = win.