This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

so cool: http://campinglifequest.com/diy/japa...ervingantiquin
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Firing this thread back to live, since I've always been interested in living a life closer to nature and our natural roots. And it's spring on this side of the planet! My dream is to one day live in a little farm house, growing my own veggies and selling natural products. So starting small in our own garden.

For the first time we finally have our own veggie garden. We have two raised beds. One for vegetables. The other for herbs and some potatoes. We also have a border for plants and flowers to attract bees and butterflies. Tiny plants are now starting to pop up from the ground. I'm excited!

I just wanted to share our garden renovation so far. The previous renters only had boxwood plants, which was very boring:
        before.jpg

I pulled everything out including the removal of the ivy on the fence. Then we placed the beds and planted the seeds. This is after:
        after.jpg

The little sticks in the beds were an attempt of my boyfriend to keep the cat off XD She doesn't care though.
        So I hope to eat from our garden soon!

Are any of you growing your own veggies? Or doing any homesteading this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
          Firing this thread back to live, since I've always been interested in living a life closer to nature and our natural roots. And it's spring on this side of the planet! My dream is to one day live in a little farm house, growing my own veggies and selling natural products. So starting small in our own garden.

For the first time we finally have our own veggie garden. We have two raised beds. One for vegetables. The other for herbs and some potatoes. We also have a border for plants and flowers to attract bees and butterflies. Tiny plants are now starting to pop up from the ground. I'm excited!

Are any of you growing your own veggies? Or doing any homesteading this year?
          It looks great!

We are not growing anything this year, except potted trees, two of which have volunteer tomatoes growing with them (I have a meyer lemon, a satsuma, a key lime, an olive tree, and a dwarf pomegrante), a dragonfruit, a pot of loquat seeds I'm trying to sprout, and Harvey, my tea plant (shrub?)...all of which I have to get to Illinois to my mom's house if we are moving, since I'm pretty sure transporting plants oversease is a no-go.
          sigpic

Comment

We built two raised beds this weekend too! I've got four berry bushes in the ground that are 3 years old so I should hopefully get more fruit off them this year, a dwarf peach tree, I've got a few more years before I get fruit off it and then I'll be planting corn, butternut squash, pickling cucumbers, okra, watermelon, and arugula. I'll have tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, basil and chives from my in laws. I'm hoping to can/freeze a lot of it. We'll see how I do.

Elanor your beds look fantastic!

58372877_2388731297857251_2785577017792266240_n.jpg58383608_593074484507156_8684429043652624384_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We might make them taller next year but I figured to start we'd 24 inches and see how it does.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Meanwhile in Canada...

We can't even consider planting the garden until end of May, early June.

Lemons trees, thal, really. We live on different planets.

I just want to see plaaaaaaaaaants

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

Lemons trees, thal, really. We live on different planets.

I just want to see plaaaaaaaaaants

Lol!

Whats funny (and not funny ha-ha) is that 5-10 years ago it was harder to grow citrus, you really had to baby it in the "winter" during Jan/Feb. Now, on the other hand...we didn't have a single freeze overnight last year... The growing zones here have actually changed...
                sigpic

Comment

I can't start planting until after Mother's Day Vol but its the first nice weekend we have had and am unsure if we would have time to get them built before then if we didn't do it now. I will be in Georgia for work Wednesday to Sunday, and then two weeks later were going Mississippi for KP's little sisters birthdays. So I said now or probably never.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I have my seedlings started - standard stuff - tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers, cantalopes, summer squash, zuchinni, some plants to make rope with...

Like Kalynraye, I can't set them out until mother's day, though.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My tomato volunteers already have flowers...so...Maybe accidental tomatoes soon?
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X