This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homesteading, Living Off Grid, and Other Alternative Living

Currently I am in a one room studio cabin with friggin' brass monkey cold drafts coming in around the door ... Unfortunately the door in question is a metal one that was busted in at one time and is a bit sprung so that it does not line up square in the frame ... One good thing is that the hot water heater acts as a radiator heater ... It has minimal insulation ... All my lights are small spiral florescent types ... Takes them a minute to heat up and reach max output but that is no big deal ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=256.msg26213#msg26213 date=1293857823]
      Currently I am in a one room studio cabin with friggin' brass monkey cold drafts coming in around the door ... Unfortunately the door in question is a metal one that was busted in at one time and is a bit sprung so that it does not line up square in the frame ... One good thing is that the hot water heater acts as a radiator heater ... It has minimal insulation ... All my lights are small spiral florescent types ... Takes them a minute to heat up and reach max output but that is no big deal ...
      [/quote]
      Those compact flourescent bulbs make me nuts. The colors in the room are all weirded out, and they make a noise I can hear.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=256.msg26223#msg26223 date=1293863294]
        Those compact flourescent bulbs make me nuts. The colors in the room are all weirded out, and they make a noise I can hear.
        [/quote]

my hubby can hear a noise from them too, ( I thought he was a little crazy when he told me ;D ) oops
        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I am currently siytting in a room about 30 foot by 60 foot with 26 flourescent fixtures that have 3 bulbs each and I can't hear a thing from them ... But I can hear a cat walking outside in the gravel parking lot ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

It's something about frequency. I don't remember the science of it.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=256.msg26223#msg26223 date=1293863294]
              [/quote]

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=256.msg26664#msg26664 date=1294091623]
              It's something about frequency. I don't remember the science of it.
              [/quote]

Yup...they emit a high frequency, most people can't hear it...but most dogs/cats can. Besides, if anyone gives you carp about it...just tell them that you have chosen to forgo mercury contamination in favor of expending more electricity overall while you wait for practical household LED lighting.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Re: Alternative Building Ideas

Not terribly certain about the fire retardancy of this, but its pretty cool none the less:

The fleeting, seemingly useless used phone book turns out to make a pretty interesting building block in the hands of Richard Kroeker and a handful of students in the Dalhousie University .

...also, ideas for lamps
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I simply have to share. The town where I grew up, Greensburg Kansas (I have family still living there) was 95% destroyed in May 2007 by one of the largest, most powerful tornados ever recorded. Was there enough town left to rebuild? That was the big question. Once that was answered with a definate YES, the question became HOW to rebuild. And the answer to that was - build green! Not the whole town, but most of the public buildings and quite a few of the new homes.

One of the very few building that was left standing, but damaged, was the county courthouse, where people took shelter from the tornado in the basement. Because the building was built in 1914 before the advent of electricity and air conditioning, it was built to take advantage of natural light and air circulation. So it was built green all those years ago and just needed some modification to reach the LEED gold standard (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).

Of course, all the wonderful shade trees that had been growing for a century were destroyed, which changes the look so much from the wonderful building that housed the public library in the basement when I was a kid. That was one nekkid town the first time I saw it with no trees at all. Kudos to the people who cleaned up and started rebuilding with no shade from the scorching summer sun.

For more information on how they've made the court house even greener, check out this web page: http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...rate/47780.pdf
                  ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
                  - robert anton wilson -

Comment

Weird winds caused this on our side lawn area
                    we have a fence there so we can let our dog out ... and yes we have to replace a window that shattered when the temp hit -28.

Comment

Looks like the fence kept the snow drift at bay too ...

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                        Looks like the fence kept the snow drift at bay too ...
                        You can't see it in the pic, but the drift goes right through the fence, across the dog's yard, and out the other side.

Comment

I found this site today...http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/
                          sigpic

Comment

this is more a landscaping thing...but for people that don't want the conventional (and environmentally unfriendly) conventional lawn, you can certify your yard as wildlife habitat
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              this is more a landscaping thing...but for people that don't want the conventional (and environmentally unfriendly) conventional lawn, you can certify your yard as wildlife habitat
                              I should do that - my yard pretty much is a wildlife habitat already, what with the bear and deer and other critters...
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

this is so cool....soda bottle lights

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X