This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaiman's "American Gods"

... is amazing. I'm over half way through and it's a blast!

The general storyline: Shadow is released from prison two days early when he gets the news that his wife is dead. On the plane ride home, he meets a mysterious stranger who offers him a job. When it becomes apparent that he has no where else to go, he accepts the offer and becomes the errand boy of a man who calls himself "Mr. Wednesday."

Now, as a Pagan, I'm having a blast reading this because of things like this (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"Who are you?" asked Shadow.

The man shrugged. "Well, since today is my day, why don't you just call me Wednesday?"
    Soon after this, Shadow notices that one of his eyes isn't real, "although he couldn't tell which one."

And when a friend meets Wednesday a little later, he calls him "old tree-hanger."

*nudge* *wink*

Wednesday shares with Shadow his mission, which is basically to gather the old gods that have come over to America with the immigrants to battle against the new gods (such as the god of television) for their survival. It's interesting to see how the gods are getting by on their currently relatively meager worship. But the best part is picking up the clues to figure out which people that Wednesday meets are which gods.

I bet plenty of you have already read this book - but if you haven't, you should, because it's SO good so far.

Re: Gaiman's "American Gods"

I loved that book. I especially like the part where "Mr. Wednesday" meets the girl who says she's pagan and worships the feminine principle. It was just funny to see that juxtaposition of Odin meeting a Wiccan. I also was thrilled to see Slavic deities; both Chernobog and the three Zoryas. All in all though, the book was a little bit grim for me, since I don't like to think of the Gods having to scrape by on the handful of people who still remember them.
    Last edited by Yazichestvo; 13 Mar 2011, 17:24.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I have to check outh this book it sounds like what I've been thinking about
      Circe

Comment

I lost my copy a few years ago when I loaned it to someone and the book never found its way back to me. *sad sigh* Anyway, while it's not one of my absolute favorites it was a very entertaining read and I hope to acquire a new copy for my bookshelf someday.

On a similar note, has anyone read the book Gaiman collaborated with Terry Pratchett on called Good Omens? Would you recommend it? I keep hesitating and ultimately passing it up at the bookstore.
        Last edited by OpenHands; 13 Mar 2011, 18:30. Reason: Can't spell "collaborated" today.
        "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
        Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

I have Good Omens, and my husband and I were reading it together a few years ago. Something came up and we had to put it down for a while, but we never picked it back up, even though we were only about twenty pages from the end. Without knowing how it ended, I can say it was a really good read.

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
          I loved that book. I especially like the part where "Mr. Wednesday" meets the girl who says she's pagan and worships the feminine principle. It was just funny to see that juxtaposition of Odin meeting a Wiccan. I also was thrilled to see Slavic deities; both Chernobog and the three Zoryas. All in all though, the book was a little bit grim for me, since I don't like to think of the Gods having to scrape by on the handful of people who still remember them.
          I agree that it saddens me a little to think of my gods living poor quality lives, but at the same time I like putting them in the position of someone who's living such a life for the pure curiosity of how they would adapt. For instance, Odin pushing on and fighting regardless of the fact that his chances don't look good, and Eoestre's good living with all she can eat although she knows it doesn't mean anything because no one really knows who she is.

Comment

Loved it! Got a recommendation from someone here at PF....read it super fast...amazing book!

One of my favorite parts was when Odin sent his two ravens to talk to Shadow....after they talk, Shadow says to them, "Say, nevermore." and they respond with, "F*** You."

LMAO

Anyway, awesome book and I highly recommend it!
            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OpenHands View Post
              On a similar note, has anyone read the book Gaiman collaborated with Terry Pratchett on called Good Omens? Would you recommend it? I keep hesitating and ultimately passing it up at the bookstore.
              I haven't read American Gods but have read Good Omens 3 times. It is a great book and I highly recommend it
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Good Omens, guys. I'll add it to my next purchase!
                "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

I've started Good Omens at least twice and it just didn't click - I don't know why because I love both TP and Gaiman. I have American Gods, but haven't picked it up yet - maybe that'll be my next read!
                  You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Another book that's similar to American Gods is Douglas Adams' The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul. It's about a detective who gets tangled up w/the Norse pantheon. It's got a bleak outlook on what the Aesir have become, but it's frikkin' hilarious at the same time.

I've just started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I'mma have to find Good Omens now!
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                    X