This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witch/Pagan-Friendly movies

I had a thread about this in the old forums so I thought I'd resurrect it!

I'll probably repost a few!

The Wizard of Oz- It was the first movie I saw that introduced the concept of the "Good Witch"....and I KNOW some of you are going to say that Glinda was really the bad one, but please keep in mind that "Wicked", while a creative and insightful revision of the story, is -not- the original story and that in Frank Baum's original the Wicked Witches of the East and West were tyrannical rulers whose people were quite happy to be free of them, and the ruby (silver) slippers were their like weapon of mass destruction.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks- a pretty awesome movie starring Angela Lansbury as an amateur witch trying to improve her craft in order to help the war effort in England.

Mary Poppins- She's never named as a "witch" but she is magical, and if you don't love Julie Andrews I think you have no soul.

The Three Lives of Thomasina- another great Disney movie about a girl who loves her cat. There's a character in the movie who everyone calls a "witch." She's not really meant to be so in the actual context of the movie, but she does live alone in the woods and heals sick animals and lives in harmony with nature. The whole point of her character was more or less the idea that just because you're different doesn't mean you're bad. Their fake Scottish accents are pretty horrible, but it's still cute.

Re: Witch/Pagan-Friendly movies

The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe series. Of course Aslan fits with Jesus, but also with Pagan history. These stories are so beautifully multi-faceted it's unbelieveable!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

There's an interesting chapter on CSLewis and Tolkein's relationship to paganism in Ron Hutton's Witches, Druids & King Arthur.
      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Well Tolkien was a Roman Catholic who left the church shortly after Return of the King was released and C.S.Lewis was an atheist who turned Christian. That much I know. X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

My kids (and I ) always loved Matilda.
          again, she is never called a witch, but she has handy powers
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

The Secret. It is on netflix instant play right now. It is about the power of positive thought and the law of attraction.
            sigpic

Comment

The Mists of Avalon. It's clearly not history, but fantasy, but pagan oriented. Also King Arthur which shows the pagans in a favorable light.

Comment

Oh I also remembered Practical Magic one of my favorites
                sigpic

Comment

A controversial one ... I really enjoyed Wicker Man (the first one - haven't seen the remake) and was rooting for the pagans the whole way through.
                  You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

One magic friendly book that I really liked as a kid as The Secret of Dragonhome.
                    Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Well I can't believe no one has said this so far so I'll add it on.

The Craft
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

The Craft
                        Good one! I almost forgot about that movie.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

The Craft
                          LOL, that was soo corny and make believe. But I love it because of that.

I love bad movies!

I'd like to recommend "The Initiation of Sarah" which is a corner B Grade TV movie available on iTunes.

Summer Glau is in it for sci fans & pervs.

Comment

When I play the Matrix trilogy... I never listen to the original sound track anymore... I prefer listening to the commentaries of the 2 philosophers, most instructive about the story of this movie.

Comment

Working...
                            X