Ferreting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferreting

Does anyone here do any ferreting (mainly the UK and Australia)
    I love ferreting as it is free meat and I use all of the animal. I am a keen hunter but mainly go ferreting.
    I am including a few pictures.

n608720727_2112200_6392835.jpg148684_107291172677828_100001908366826_66336_2146724_n.jpgn608720727_2112203_1295664.jpg

Re: Ferreting

Those poor wee babies!

But that's just me. I respect that you use the whole animal. However I only eat chicken and fish and I have problems killing cute things so I don't hunt :P X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Ooo I don't know anything about this other than what Google just told me but it seems neat. So you use ferrets to go into rabbit holes and chase them out? Seems like a good idea.

What do you make out of the fur?

Comment

Anything from blankets (If I catch enough), slippers, gloves, dog toys, puppets for children, etc,
        Anything that I can make from them I will.

And yes you net the holes with a purse net and you place a ferret down the warren which chases the rabbits out and they get tangled in the nets and you quickly brake there necks (it kills them instantly)
        I will get pictures up of the nets a bit later.

Joe

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
        Those poor wee babies!

But that's just me. I respect that you use the whole animal. However I only eat chicken and fish and I have problems killing cute things so I don't hunt :P X
        I respect you for having respect for the animals, I purely do it because A) they are pests to farmers, B) it is natural, fat free meat, C) The whole animal is used, and D) I know where my meat comes from.

Again I respect you for your wishes....they arent bloody cute when they bite you though haha.

Joe

Comment

Very cool, JoeD. I don't live anywhere that ferrets pose a threat to farmers but I dislike rodents of almost any kind and hey, when you work with life you're bound to see death in action.

So do you have to train these ferrets? I mean... how does one train a ferret?

I knew a guy a few farms ago who was into training hunting dogs so I like the idea of using animals to trap other animals. Feels much more natural somehow than sitting around with a gun, waiting. Not that I have a problem with that either, especially since in my neck of the woods, deer are a damned problem, I'm just always more impressed when someone kills with a bow and arrow, or outsmarts the animal.

Tell me more. I'm officially interested.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            Very cool, JoeD. I don't live anywhere that ferrets pose a threat to farmers but I dislike rodents of almost any kind and hey, when you work with life you're bound to see death in action.

So do you have to train these ferrets? I mean... how does one train a ferret?

I knew a guy a few farms ago who was into training hunting dogs so I like the idea of using animals to trap other animals. Feels much more natural somehow than sitting around with a gun, waiting. Not that I have a problem with that either, especially since in my neck of the woods, deer are a damned problem, I'm just always more impressed when someone kills with a bow and arrow, or outsmarts the animal.

Tell me more. I'm officially interested.
            I hunt rabbits not ferrets, I use ferrets to hunt rabbits.
            And the majority of ferrets have the instinct to go down the warrens so not much training is needed, just get them interested in tubes from a young age and then it is just one big game to them.
            But it is mainly instinct.

These are a few more pictures.

9717_156023110727_608720727_3230666_6335446_n.jpg9717_156028405727_608720727_3230713_496053_n.jpgn608720727_2112199_4215848.jpgn608720727_2112207_5321983.jpg7725_131019425727_608720727_2986408_4051616_n.jpg

Comment

n608720727_2112202_1412033.jpgn608720727_2112204_5627371.jpgn608720727_2112201_655755.jpg

Few more pictures

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD View Post
                Anything from blankets (If I catch enough), slippers, gloves, dog toys, puppets for children, etc,
                Anything that I can make from them I will.

And yes you net the holes with a purse net and you place a ferret down the warren which chases the rabbits out and they get tangled in the nets and you quickly brake there necks (it kills them instantly)
                I will get pictures up of the nets a bit later.

Joe

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I respect you for having respect for the animals, I purely do it because A) they are pests to farmers, B) it is natural, fat free meat, C) The whole animal is used, and D) I know where my meat comes from.

Again I respect you for your wishes....they arent bloody cute when they bite you though haha.

Joe
                Sounds humane, and useful too! They should do that at the UVic campus (overrun by rabbits, HUGE problem because they ruin the campus and also dig up the athletes' fields). At the moment they're at odds with animal activists, who aren't ok with the University/City euthanizing them, so at the cost of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS they ship them off to a rabbit conservation farm in Texas. I really wish I was joking.....
                Maybe if people actually had a use for them less people would have a problem. I guess it wouldn't pacify the hardcore militants, but maybe enough so that they could do that instead of shipping them to Texas.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I sort of want to be like "awww bunnies" too, except I do eat rabbit, and I have vintage accessories made from rabbit fur. And I really think it's awesome that you have such a respectful attitude about your hunting, using the whole animal and such.

I heard ferrets make awesome pets as well? I heard they're super sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Sounds humane, and useful too! They should do that at the UVic campus (overrun by rabbits, HUGE problem because they ruin the campus and also dig up the athletes' fields). At the moment they're at odds with animal activists, who aren't ok with the University/City euthanizing them, so at the cost of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS they ship them off to a rabbit conservation farm in Texas. I really wish I was joking.....
                  Maybe if people actually had a use for them less people would have a problem. I guess it wouldn't pacify the hardcore militants, but maybe enough so that they could do that instead of shipping them to Texas.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I sort of want to be like "awww bunnies" too, except I do eat rabbit, and I have vintage accessories made from rabbit fur. And I really think it's awesome that you have such a respectful attitude about your hunting, using the whole animal and such.

I heard ferrets make awesome pets as well? I heard they're super sweet!
                  That is so stupid how they ship them off, they could so easily shoot, snare, trap or ferret for them rabbits and use the fur as clothing and the meat can be given to homeless shelters or elderly homes, so barely anything is wasted.
                  They make fantastic pets, there personalities differ but are just like cats, you just have to handle them alot or they may get into the habbit of being scared and starting to bite.
                  But I can assure you not 1 thing is wasted! the skeletons are given to our local college and secondary schools for biology lessons or used by me in rituals.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD View Post
                    That is so stupid how they ship them off, they could so easily shoot, snare, trap or ferret for them rabbits and use the fur as clothing and the meat can be given to homeless shelters or elderly homes, so barely anything is wasted.
                    They make fantastic pets, there personalities differ but are just like cats, you just have to handle them alot or they may get into the habbit of being scared and starting to bite.
                    But I can assure you not 1 thing is wasted! the skeletons are given to our local college and secondary schools for biology lessons or used by me in rituals.
                    Awesome!

And I know right (on the first thing). UVic is in Victoria, BC, which has a HUGE HUGE homeless problem as well, because it's the warmest place in Canada in the winter and people from all over the country migrate to there and Vancouver. They're feral rabbits and some people are like "they're too gross to eat" but it's not like they're rats. Victoria is a CLEAN city and they're still eating grass and stuff.

Comment

It tastes like chicken with a more 'gamey' taste, and they are the very best meat in my oppinion as they have barely any fat, and yet are tasty. I have caught and eaten rabbit from recycling centres and dumps and they are fine to eat, you just double check the meat colour, and the rabbit itself before you eat it.

Comment

I do like it! I've had it before and you're right, it's like gamey chicken but not really different than Perlhun (German isn't my first language but I honestly don't know how to translate this...maybe it's a pheasant? I don't know). They're really good in stew too! I can't really hunt because I live smack in the middle of the city and unfortunately Germany has VERY strict hunting laws on top of that, but if I could I'd like to. There's also a lot of boar and deer around here in "legal" hunting grounds...both meats I also love (though, not catchable with ferrets haha).

Comment

I live in a built up area too and the law here with ferreting is if you have permission off of a landowner then you can ferret on his or her land using any legal methods. I have to walk about 7 or 8 miles to get to the places that I hunt.

And yes it is a bit like pheasant. But I am not sure on the law over in Germany, I know in the Netherlands it is legal

Comment

Yeah I live in the middle of Berlin. LIke smack in the middle. I know we have rabbits, because I see their holes in Prenzlauer Berg (my 'hood) and I think it will be a problem in the future (this is more recent), but I know that for now, the city would have to allow you to catch them, and they don't do that. There's a rule that if you hit a boar with your car in Charlottenburg (a district on the edge of the city to the West) you can keep it if it dies, but that's only because they're really aggressive and a really big problem there.

I wish we could do something about the rabbits though...they're starting to ruin the parks and dig holes in the tree plots that line the streets. Soon it could be UVic all over again (ie rabbits EVERYWHERE).

PS I always thought the Netherlands was an awesome place! Now I have another reason!

Comment

In my younger years I once lived in a pretty awful apt. that had a mouse problem. I got a ferret and those mice ran for the hills! She didn't even have to go after them - they caught a whiff and were off & running.
                              I'd love to see more pictures of the ferret.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X