This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask A Wiccan

Just resurrecting this topic from the old board.

A reminder that the opinions expressed here will be based on my PERSONAL beliefs. If you have any questions regarding general Wicca, if I know the answer, I'll provide it. If I don't, I can probably look it up. I have a fairly large collection of Wiccan books from Cunningham, the Ferrars and Buckland. What I'm not too sharp on are Gardnerian traditions but I will try to answer any of those questions as well.

Let it fly...
    It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not

Re: Ask A Wiccan

Yay, thanks for starting this up again, felix

Would you start off with recommending three of you favorite books, and why?

Why do you define your path as Celtic, rather then just Wiccan?

Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Do you worship any gods? If so, Do you believe them to be real entities?
      I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
      I became Abdishtar this spring.
      Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

Do you belive in "The One" or just the god and goddess (assuming you belive in them)
        are your deities ominipresent,ominipotent, omnipresent?if so are they made of other dieities? Do they have many aspects?are they the culmination of the divine or just part of it?
        “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
        Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
        -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

What special days (Sabbats, Estbats) do you celebrate? Are there rituals associated with them?

Comment

Wow. Sorry to add to a list of questions, but--
            I've struggled with the fact that Wicca has the God and Goddess, which always seemed to me to unreasonably prioritize gender-binary over all the other dynamic binaries along which Wiccan theology could equally easily be organized. For example, why the God and the Goddess instead of Chaos and Order, Night and Day, etc? I realize these other binaries get drawn into the God-Goddess paradigm (Sun-God-Order-Animals-Corn, Moon-Goddess-Chaos-Woodland-Ocean, for example), but why are the deities named by gender rather than by one of the other binaries?

I think I'm beginning to understand the historical reasons for this, and to accept that my concerns over inherent heterosexism in the tradition don't negate the draw the theology has for me. Still, I'm wondering--is this an issue for you? If so how do you address it? Regardless, what do you think of my ramblings?
            “If it’s a good idea and it gets you excited, try it, and if it bursts into flames, that’s going to be exciting too. People always ask, ‘What is your greatest failure?’ I always have the same answer — We’re working on it right now, it’s gonna be awesome!”- Jim Coudal

Comment

Is the worship of gods/godesses necessary in Wicca, or is one able to practice without such beliefs?

Comment

[quote author=Lis link=topic=277.msg6102#msg6102 date=1287865035]
                Is the worship of gods/godesses necessary in Wicca, or is one able to practice without such beliefs?
                [/quote]

In Christianity one is supposed to be kind to his/her neighbors. You can practice that without being a Christian.

There are two major aspects to Wicca, the spiritual/religious beliefs and practices, and the magical beliefs and practices. Nobody is stopping you from practicing the magical techniques. There are a bazillian books on the subject. Some people refer to those techniques as "natural magic," "folk magic," or "low magic" (the magic of people in lower lands).

So sure! Go ahead and practice the magical techniques. If you want, you might even find that some of the spiritual/philosophical/religious techniques interest you.

I would just respectfully remind you that practicing natural magic doesn't make you a Wiccan any more than being kind to your neighbors makes you a Christian.
                There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance

Comment

Thank you for the clarification Don!

Comment

anyone have a way to contact felix?! he started this thread then left it to die... I'd take over if I knew enough to answer questions.. lol
                    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=277.msg6174#msg6174 date=1287881005]
                      anyone have a way to contact felix?! he started this thread then left it to die... I'd take over if I knew enough to answer questions.. lol
                      [/quote]

He pops in and out, just not on a daily basis...give him a wee bit of time!!
                      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh for goodness sake! I set this up so that I'd receive an e-mail whenever someone replied to it.
                        I haven't gotten a single e-mail! Shit! I'm sorry!

Over the next couple of days, I will respond to all of your questions. Right now, I can't but I promise you that by Monday, you'll all have your answers!
                        It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not

Comment

On another forum I follow, many of the members are insistent that true Wicca is performed in covens, that "Solitary Wicca" is actually based on misinformation, and that in order to be Wiccan one must be initiated into a coven that can be traced back to Gardener.

The thread that I'm referring to can be found here:

I'm curious about your opinion on this.

Comment

you really using a childish looking game's forum to judge .. well... anything? hehe.. technically Wicca itself yes was brought out into the open by Gardner but that doesnt mean that that is the only tradition. its his coven's traditions. Solitary Wiccans can also perform a self-dedication. and honestly I've noticed that most people start out with Wicca, and then "graduate" for a lack of a better term into a different type of pagan beliefs. I've been pagan since I was 12, thats 14 years now, and started as a fluffy bunny wiccan like most people that young end up being... then as I learned I evolved. theres no wrong way to be spiritual. I think its more important to be spiritual than to choose a religious title.
                            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=277.msg8377#msg8377 date=1288460653]
                              you really using a childish looking game's forum to judge .. well... anything? hehe.. technically Wicca itself yes was brought out into the open by Gardner but that doesnt mean that that is the only tradition. its his coven's traditions. Solitary Wiccans can also perform a self-dedication. and honestly I've noticed that most people start out with Wicca, and then "graduate" for a lack of a better term into a different type of pagan beliefs. I've been pagan since I was 12, thats 14 years now, and started as a fluffy bunny wiccan like most people that young end up being... then as I learned I evolved. theres no wrong way to be spiritual. I think its more important to be spiritual than to choose a religious title.
                              [/quote]

Eh, don't judge the forum by it's appearance. Yes, it is an RPG site with a high population of young ones, but that particular forum/guild has quite a lot of members around my age (25). I guess what I'm getting at is that they dismiss Solitary Wicca altogether and insist that one cannot dedicate themselves. It's an interesting perspective but strikes me as a bit... elitist... at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X