This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candle Magic Ethics Question

As you guys know, I've been asking a lot of questions, and reading a lot about basic candle magic. As you also know, I have a close relative on my husband's side who is consistently ill. She has a tendency to say very hurtful things, and whether or not you revolve around her heath is often a measuring stick about whether your're one of the "good" kids in the family.

For the past few weeks, growing stronger since she took a turn for the worse a week ago, I have had a very strong impulse to, in addition to some candles that I light for various friends and family, designate one to her "going home". I don't feel any malicious intent attached to this impulse, simply a strong feeling that she has finished what she has to learn in this life, and at this point her white-knuckle grip on life is doing her, and those around her, more harm then good. If she passed, then there would be a lot of healing that would be able to take place that can't within the family.

She makes me angry sometimes, but there are no feelings of revenge, anger, or the like attached to this. No creepy desire to act in any other way, either (in case you're wondering). It's a very peaceful, calm feeling. At the same time, however, I feel slightly uncomfortable given the gravity of such an impulse.

What are your thoughts? Is that something ethical to put energy towards, or not?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: Candle Magic Ethics Question

Deseret, I don't know nothin' about candle magic, and I don't use much in the way of magic, but...

...if I were to use magic, this is how I'd figure out the ethics -

Before trying any magic, I'd ask myself "If this were something I could do directly, with my own hands, would I do it?"

If the answer is yes, then it doesn't matter if I use magic or my hands to do it. If the answer is no, it means that this is something which I really don't want to do, so I wouldn't do it. The use of magic would be an attempt to separate myself from the act itself - which really can't be done, since I would still be responsible for setting specific events into motion.

In the situation you describe, how about this instead - Use your candle magic to bring about peace and healing within your family, focusing specifically on the relative you mention. Let the "forces of the universe" determine how best to effect that.

I don't see an ethical dilemma in working for peace and healing - the ethical dilemma comes in only when you determine that some specific thing will bring about an end result you desire.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Woah, this is very risky business. I would definitely hold off on that impulse. If she truly has learned all she has to learn, she'll make her way in her own time. Wish her peace on the journey, but to send her on her way is something I'm really uncomfortable with.

Comment

I too agree that you need to focus your energy on your own family and the healing that needs to take place, and not on 'nudging' someone to take that next step.
        Her time will come, and if you feel that you have 'sped it up' in any way ( even just your thoughts) you may have a lot of guilt later.
        My advise: light the candle and ask for peace for all of you and let the Universe/Spirits/Gods take it from there.
        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

That's EXACTLY why I wanted your input, since I'm way too close to this. Thank you, guys.

I think I'll take Corbin's advice, and focus on the peace that this family needs so badly.

Comment

While nudging her into the next life might be against my few-and-far between principles, nudging her into assisted living probably wouldn't be.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              While nudging her into the next life might be against my few-and-far between principles, nudging her into assisted living probably wouldn't be.
              She's only 60, but has been dealing with chronic pain and health issues since her 20's. I doubt the family would go for that, especially since she just barely moved into her "dream house" when we all moved up here.

She tried to hold one of the parties that I did all the grunt work for while we were still living with them. Almost ended up in the hospital with kidney failure. FIL doesn't try to stop her, he just tries to shoulder as much as he can, on top of his full-time job, and all the chores and shopping I used to do.

Comment

Healing or assisted living if you want to be less courteous work.

The next life? My apologies for the next comment but there is no grey area here from my pov.

The act of "helping" a civilian that is not a direct and severe threat to you or those under your protection into the next life without their clear and expressed consent has in 9 out of 10 cases a grand total of one applicable term and that is murder. This is not one of the remaining 1 out of 10 cases. The applicable term does not change if you use magic instead of a knife or gun. This is a hard line stance but were such an act committed without magic, the sentence depending on jurisdiction varies between a life sentence and a lethal injection.

I do apologize for being a hard liner in this case but its a topic that I can neither ignore nor honestly provide a more moderate answer to. Authority is not given to us to determine when another has learned all they can from life and little good comes from getting into the habit of thinking otherwise.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thanks, Masked.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. And my limited experience is *Exactly* why I was concerned that this was coming from an "off" perspective.

I'm assuming you've never had to assist in the care of a relative who needs a lot of care. This is my second. Having that feeling is natural and not an "angel of death" thing. I would of figured you of all people would know me well enough for me to not need to spell that out. I thought I was clear enough as is.

That said, with the way my life is going right now, I don't want this to turn into a debate. I don't have the energy, and it would be stupid and shallow for me to ask a question, and then get offended because I didn't like the answers I got.

Question answered, thread closed. Thanks guys.

Comment

I realize the thread is closed and it's unfair of me to be able to reply when others can't. I just needed to say this about candle magic:

I've practiced candle magic now for well over 20 years (25 years, in fact) and found one immutable fact, through all those years. Performing some rite with a candle is about MY senses, MY perceptions and what-have-you. While I'm asking the gods, the universe, for some healthy energies, healing aids, strength or even comeuppance for somebody it is not that person's world that is most affected, it is mine. That's not to say that the magic is impotent on others, nor is it saying that the magic is only inside me. Just that if the fates see fit to answer my prayers for someone, that's almost unrelated, really, to my ritual; which is nothing more than a simple rite that I feel is important to do, for one reason or another.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. Asking for aid from the spirit world doesn't mean you have just hired the spirits to do your bidding. But, at the very minimum, you'll feel better (or *should*) for having asked. Peace? Much needed rest? Freedom from pain? These are all wonderful wishes for anyone. I'd light a candle for any one of those sentiments!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                    X