Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Domestic Magic! (brainstorming thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Domestic Magic! (brainstorming thread)

(disclaimer)

I have a blog that some of you may or maynot be familiar with...And, for a while now, well...I've been busy and slacking. I actually have a notebook of blog ideas and notes and such for when I actually have time (since I use my blog less as a journal and more as informational archive/idea repository) to research and compose.

But for a while, I've been tinkering with the ideas of a series of posts on "modern" domestic witchery, specifically, the role of technology as a conduit for magic. So many books/articles/etc are based on the ideas of doing it the "traditional" way...but (aside from the argument over what *is* "tradition")...well, I like my electric mixer and my vacuum cleaner. Just because they plug in doesn't make them lesser.

Mrs. Penry had a FB post the other day that sort of reminded me of this (backburner) project, in her comment on using the sink as a way to explore the properties of water (Mrs. B on the Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom blog used to have a good post up on water as an element in the home, but since its book material now, she's taken it off her blog)...and I'm soliciting some additional ideas/interpretations/other POV's on what certain household items *could* be used for, if household rituals could be built around them and what correspondences might be appropriate for them (besides my own).

I will be giving credit and linking back to the forum (this thread) so, if for some reason, someone has an idea but doesn't want their online identity linked elsewhere, can feel free to email me...or, conversely, if you don't want me sharing your idea (if it one I happen to include) please say so in your post.

Sporadically, I will be posting a topic/question/item etc for you to offer your opinion/thoughts/ideas about...and I would love to be able to start a good discussion on this topic!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Modern Domestic Magic! (brainstorming thread)

Q&A: The Vacuum

When you think "vacuum" what is the first metaphor that you associate it with?
    What are your thoughts about how a vacuum can be used magically?
    What element would you connect it to?
    What other correspondences do you think it might work with?
    If someone told you to construct a ritual/spell using a vacuum, what do you think the best role for it would be?
    Do you know of any rituals already that include the use of a vacuum?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Vacuum? ... Hmmmm ... Maybe use for clearing/cleaning/ridding of bad habits of illnesses ... Maybe use in conjunction with magnetite ... Maybe put "outside" and use wind "inside" like blowing air across an object and have a Hoover running outside the circle ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I use mine when it feels "heavy", or like there's been a lot of emotional stuff going on...I scatter lavender, or a little bit of spices like cinnamon first, let it hang out on the carpet a bit. The smell when it's vacuumed up is very nice and calming.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Suction. Sadly, I'm not very creative :P

Like others have said, I see it as a great tool for banishing and purification.

Honestly? Either air or the cosmos (I'm weird; I consider space an element.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I guess see above?

If someone told you to construct a ritual/spell using a vacuum, what do you think the best role for it would be?
          Probably a house blessing and/or cleansing ritual. I suppose for more technopagans it could be used for purification rites before a ritual.

Not any that are magical or pagan in nature.
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

I have to say that I don't like vacuums for cleansing because of all the dust they blow back out again - at least mine always do! I still stick with an old fashioned brush and some elbow grease.... but as you say, just because something is electric doesn't mean you can't use it for your magic. So...I would use a vacuum rather like an old fashioned bread poultice, for 'drawing out' certain things. Bad habits, lingering resentments, that sort of stuff. I think it would work well for that.

I remember writing an article for Witchcraft and Wicca magazine on domestic magic.... I'll try and dig it out and post some of it here soon.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Seriously? Electric brooms! I'm not so sure that's a metaphor, like what you're looking for, but it's the first association I draw. Otherwise, as Caelia said, I simply think of suction. A windy drain, so to speak.

I don't use mine in such a manner but I see it as a tool, regardless, so why not? If it works for you, do it!

Tough choice between earth and air. I tend to imagine air, with just the tool, but it's working the earth element, after a fashion. So... both?

Depending on how deep I want to think about it, I could tie the vacuum to all five elements, that I recognize. But the obvious, strongest correspondences have to be air and earth, in that order.

Wow. I'm coming up with all sorts of ideas for the not-so-good roles. The best role, in rituals/spellwork? I could see a physical representation of both target and tool for banishings, curses and other types of protection work. I could also see the vacuum used in ritual cleansing of, say, a designated sacred space; a circle of some measure.

I don't know about 'best'. I mean, seriously, if I had adopted an idea of how a vacuum could best be used, for whatever role, in rites, I would likely have already done it. As is, I let the machine do mundane labor and keep it out of my magic work.

Actually, no. This is the first I've ever heard mention of a vacuum and anything to do with spellwork. It's an interesting prospect, I'll grant, but not one that I'm likely to start doing.

(Great thread, Thal!)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Comment

I associate vacuums with suction and air like most but also dust and funnels (like tornadoes). Air is an obvious element but I might also associate it with earth a bit considering it sucks up dust and dirt. Cleansing and purification make sense when associated with the vacuum. As a ritual when I did my ritual house cleaning I tend to spread salt around to cleanse the house. I could see the vacuum being used to suck up the salt and whatever negative energies it might accrue.

Comment

I need to pick your brains, ladies, and I think this thread might be the best place to do it.

I think due as much to the very emotional things that have been going on for me as anything, I'm having issues with my housekeeping being a roller-coaster. I'll have a week where I'm fine, and everything is clean and pleasant, and then I'll be dealing with depression and anxiety, and it goes to pot in 24 hours, staying that way for days while I dig myself out. I'm trying to find a way to encourage consistency. No more see-saw up and down with pushing hard, then burning out when I'm sad....just slow, steady, consistent, and clean.

L even asked me why I hadn't tried invoking a house and home goddess, like Frigg. Truth is, though, that I feel like I'd be judged harshly by that sort of being/energy...especially if the house was a mess at the time. Worse then having my mother pay a visit.

Comment

Maybe rather than a home deity you could try some of the home spirits that are known for being "helpers"...brownies, etc?

ETA...or maybe this would be where asking for inspiration/intervention from whomever wants to help might be best...like a shout out...you never know, someone more "untraditional" or not part of your preferred pantheon might be better. Like...I don't teach my kids swimming lessons, even though I'm a swimming instructor, I stick them in lessons with someone else that can be more patient, and more objective.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                        I need to pick your brains, ladies, and I think this thread might be the best place to do it.

I think due as much to the very emotional things that have been going on for me as anything, I'm having issues with my housekeeping being a roller-coaster. I'll have a week where I'm fine, and everything is clean and pleasant, and then I'll be dealing with depression and anxiety, and it goes to pot in 24 hours, staying that way for days while I dig myself out. I'm trying to find a way to encourage consistency. No more see-saw up and down with pushing hard, then burning out when I'm sad....just slow, steady, consistent, and clean.

L even asked me why I hadn't tried invoking a house and home goddess, like Frigg. Truth is, though, that I feel like I'd be judged harshly by that sort of being/energy...especially if the house was a mess at the time. Worse then having my mother pay a visit.
                        I totally hear you on this....I'm exactly the same way. I wish I had advice, but I've still been struggling with it as well. Let us know if anything works!

Comment

If you don't feel comfortable with FRigg, try some sort of epithet instead. Our Lady of the Mucky Floor could be a good one. Or Lady of the Mess. Sometimes this allows you to hook onto the archetype while still distancing yourself from a particular deity if you don't yet feel comfortable with him/her.

Worth a try. But in my experience the gods and goddesses tend to take us as they find us. They're MUCH more forgiving than parents.

Comment

Those are some excellent ideas...thank you so much you guys!!!

We'll see how it goes...We're in a new-ish little set of apartments, and I'm not sure if some sort of house spirit would be the answer. Probably just my fancy, but I've gotten the feeling more then once that the land here was just barely embracing it's role as crop fields, and now it's being built on all of a sudden. Not exactly a comfortable feeling, even if it's in my imagination.

As for the ideas about contacting that energy...I'll try both and see what clicks. Logically, I know that if someone is willing to help me, they won't judge me harshly for this. I also know that when I let go and just experience, it's never what I expect it to be. Still doesn't keep me from feeling all ashamed and prickly, though, and that does get in the way.

Comment

I actually like my new apartment. I'm the first occupant. It was sterile at first (and I know this sounds crazy but there was something, kind of an energy, here in the beginning left over from the pre-war building that was here before, which I suspect it was bombed out during the war), but it was really a good chance to have the place completely take only my own energy and style.

Comment

Working...
                              X