X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where did you start your path?

When did you first *discover* paganism?

Pretty early. I'd say when I was 12 to 13 or so. My school (fundie southern baptist) always taught about alternative religions so that you knew who to accuse of being a follower of Satan himself and thus avoid like the plague and attempt to ostracize from society. Buddhists were sinners of the flesh, believing too much in the power of man; Catholics were direct worshipers of Lucifer through idols, especially Eastern Orthodox; Jewish people were simply not intelligent but could be led to Christ; all that kind of nonsense.

Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it?

I was into high fantasy at the time, which bled through into my picking up other fantasy titles. A couple of them were about Wicca and almost all of them were about magic of some kind. I even read Harry Potter, although it caused a massive sh*tstorm when it was discovered that I owned it.

How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?

I honestly don't know, I just sort of fell into it at some point. I started wearing Mjollnir about 3 years ago, though.

Do you still follow the same tradition?

Well when I actually switched to Paganism I went Heathen, so I suppose I do.

How have your beliefs changed?

I use a lot of Buddhist-style meditation techniques now; however, I don't do this in a Heathen context, but just in general. It really helps clear your mind and keep you level headed, and keeping a very firm rein on my thought and emotions is something that's extremely important to me.

What (in your estimation) is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought?

I thought that I could somehow reconcile my upbringing with what I currently am. I suppose I still do in a way, because NOBODY knows about my currently held beliefs that I had AT ALL associated with during high school. I'd rather not become ostracized from that community, even though it would probably be a good thing in the long run.
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=288.msg3008#msg3008 date=1287143440]
      How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?
      [/quote]

1) I first discovered paganism when I was 14 years old. A beautiful woman named Aradia appeared to me in a dream and told me that I was a witch. Sounds funny now, but that's how it started for me! :P I looked up the name and learned more about Aradia. I became Wiccan, but at the time it was admittedly mostly a "teen rebellion" thing for me, rather than true beliefs.
      2) It took me 12 years to come back to this. Now I realize that it wasn't a "phase" rather it is the way of life that truly fits with my beliefs the most.
      3) No, I no longer identify as Wiccan; I honestly don't think there is a good label for me, hence my "Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch" identity.
      4) My beliefs have changed quite a bit. I still think of Aradia as a patron deity who tried to talk to me when I was 14. But I've also found the God Ha recently (or rather he has found me) and I'm still learning every day.
      5) I'm still very new. The dumbest thing that I say or think is probably still coming!

Comment

When did you first *discover* paganism? [/quote]
        I don't remember exactly but I claim 12.

I was always interested in magic and always watched the specials on tv for the illusionists as a young kid. I had a friend that told me what she knew about the paranormal as we were growing up (we met in 1st grade). As I got to about age 12 I saw a big hardcover book that said "White Magic" on the front. I asked my mom if I could get it and she immediately made me put the book down and snapped at me "our family doesn't do that!" (which intrigues me more because its acknowledging that our family believes in it...) so I resorted to the internet and began my fluffybunnyness.

Even though I started out calling myself Wiccan and it turned out I was yet another fluffy bunny Wiccan, I did know not to take everything as truth, to follow my heart in it. but what really confirmed it was the right path for me was one night I was questioning my beliefs, if it was the right path or not... that night I had a short dream where my great grandma came into my bedroom (she had been deceased for a while before this dream, and bedridden further beyond that) and I asked her if I was doing what is right, she then held out the pentacle necklace I had bought (without my mother's knowledge) and handed it to me. As I took it the dream ended.

I don't call myself a Wiccan anymore, though I don't believe I ever truely was. I honestly dont know what to call myself. I believe in God as a being that is all aspects of deity. That it doesn't matter who you call for that its essentially the same being, just a different aspect, depending on what you're asking for. I also believe in the divinity of all things and that everything has energy based on the traditional elements of fire, air, water, earth, and spirit. Though I believe in all that metaphysical stuff I also believe in science, coexisting with religion.

I'm not sure if I'd call it changed.. I think its more of they became more defined. I still believe what I used to, its just not as fuzzy anymore as to what exactly that is.

I actually bound a part of my spirit to an object and gave it to someone as a protection charm for them, not realizing what I did, which weakened my spirit and allowed a bad spirit to enter me and fight for control. Luckily I had a friend that realized what I did and he corrected it before I did anything stupid.
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[/quote]

I first discovered paganism when I was a freshman in college and I was what I like to call a "party pagan". I practiced just for fun and just to be different then everybody else. I didn't study it and I practiced rituals without any basic knowledge. I am not proud of this AT ALL, but since then I have taken a more scholarly approach.

I switched back and forth between Christian and Pagan a few times. Christianity came easy to me but just never felt right. I never felt connected or spiritually satisfied.

My beliefs seem to mold and change as I study. I hope they will continue to change and grow as I do. That is the beautiful thing about being pagan is there is always change and growth!

The dumbest thing I ever did was cast on someone for revenge. This was a LONG time ago and I regret it greatly.
          sigpic

Comment

[/quote]

I grew up in a very fundamentalist environment (school and church at the same Baptist church). I never in all my years in the 'institution' ever felt a true connection to Christianity or it's tenets, instead feeling connected to nature and feeling at home in the woods on my horse, or down on the beach near the water. I had always also have had (what my parents have termed) 'episodes' of psychic impressions that were frightening when I was a child since I had no idea why I was reacting so violently to something that no one else could sense or see. Many times I could discern a person's intent regardless of what they were saying and that was disconcerting to many (especially the Pastor who was embezzling funds from the church or the Christian School principal who couldn't keep his hands to himself). At any rate many times I was hauled into their offices with calls to my parents about my so called 'demonic possession'. The point that I realized who and what I am was on a teen missions tour in India ( I had turned 16 while overseas), where a priest of the Goddess Kali called and named a witch in front of everyone, (a little embarrassing) but on target nonetheless. I spent great quantities of time in libraries studying different aspects of Paganism and witchcraft surreptitiously (in the days before the internet). I have been fortunate in finding teachers throughout my life one of the greatest a woman who is a phenomenal channel for higher energies and a practitioner in the metaphysical arts and thoughts. She also taught me how to read and understand Tarot and to hone my divination skills. I started calling myself 'Pagan' when I realized that I have no connection to any organized religion and that my only connection to spirit is through nature and the natural processes. I also have a strong connection to ancient Goddess worship and the ideals of Feminine Divinity (while still balancing the masculine). I call myself an Occultist due to my ongoing obsessions with systems and formula of occult masters, and the practice of divination. I've felt and believed this way basically most of my life ( I turned 46 this year) and just sort of have continued throughout my adult life in my personal studies. I usually eschew labels of most sort, finding them to be limiting in their descriptions and meaning however the moniker if you will, that I use is NeoPagan Occultist. Always open to new ideas and systems and feel that no one no matter how long they have been practicing anything can always learn something new..blessings

Comment

Well I don't think there was I time that I didn't know about a form of it, but it took till I was about ten to ask my gran what she was actually practising and why.

My gran is a very basic kitchen witch and I was always aware of it in some form or another.

Don't know. Something else I guess that has always felt right.

Not at all.

When I actually started to "practise" I was walking a very wiccan path, studying, doing magick and all that jazz. But now I find magick silly, don't really believe in any form of god or goddess. However I still feel my belief has grown in some way. I have more faith in a natural force rather than a supernatural one. And if it is natural I don't have to pray to it or ask it for help, because I am made to be able to help myself.

In first year, after finishing reading some of RavenMoons books I loudly declared my wiccan ways in front of my entire religious studies class and said I was a white witch. I was a socially backwards 11 year old... I learned quickly this was a bad idea. And in sixth year someone asked me if I was still into all that "occult stuff" and was really surprised when I said yes because I no longer go on about it like a silly kid.
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

A couple of years ago, i think it was actually 4, and i stumbled across a shop and got talking to the assistant and then i spoke to my parents and they were all "yeah yeah, as long as your happy" and then they read up on it too and liked it

I read loads of magazine articles, internet articles, spoke to the shop assistant, and researched it a lot at school.

Almost immediately

Pretty much

Only a little, as i started to do more and more research and gained more 'experience' i began to develop my own beliefs other than what the internet had laid down. They've changed quite dramatically.

I've done a tonne of dumb newbie stuff, especially from false research, when a pagan friend from school asked me what the hell i was doing claiming to be a pagan, do i even know what it is? and i answered wrong, (she obviously wasn't friends with me at the time, we're super close now) she helped me get it right, and to not use internet stuff without being fully sure. I failed badly when i first started out.
                "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

When did you first *discover* paganism? Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it?
                  [/quote]

My friend Bren considered himself Wiccan, though he didn't talk about it much. I was about 19 at the time and all I knew is that I was NOT a Christian, the faith I'd been raised as. He made me a potion one day to attract love into my life and at the same time he lent me a book, Drawing Down The Moon. Since then, I was hooked. I thought for a time that Wicca was for me, but I had always thrashed against the bars of Christianity and I didn't like the bars that I saw within Wicca, and didn't believe in more than one god. This started me on my journey though, it put me onto the path.

[/quote]

I knew immediately that THIS was something that truly resonated within me. There was much that seemed so familiar, that was just so comfortable. I knew I hadn't arrived yet but Paganism was an immediate take for me.

Do you still follow the same tradition? How have your beliefs changed?
                  [/quote]

Oh, I never started with any sort of tradition. I grabbed at what felt good - making potions, focusing my intent through ritual, etc. And not much has changed other than I accept nature and animals as my teachers.

[/quote]

Oh god, where to begin? Probably that I had to do everything by the book to be a witch.
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Okay, my story time!!

I really don't think my story is all that different from others, in that my introduction into the world of Neo-Paganism was through a book -- Raven Grimassi's "Wiccan Mysteries" to be precise. Yeah, it wasn't the best and I had actually borrowed it from a friend. I inquired about it because "Wicca" was this new and undiscovered word to me. Being the inquisitive person that I am, I asked to read the book. I really don't remember the contents of it, and I found myself utterly perplexed by what I was reading. But I was hooked. Here was a territory I had never tread upon. These were new ideas, concepts, philosophies, ways of believing, and for some inexplicable reason I absolutely had to figure this out.

Upon more research I realized that Wicca was a religion, and a rather elegant one at that. Much of its cosmology made sense to me, easily interpreted, evident in my natural understanding of the world, and most importantly gripped my imagination. The idea of witchcraft appealed to me as well, due to its mysteriousness, and the potential power of it. You must understand, I was a young teenager, fourteen at the time, where I felt rather powerless in the world. Also, teenagers face the conflict of defining one's own identity, so I was questioning a lot at the time.

I went through a phase of fear, where I questioned if my interests were ill-founded, that I may be doing something sinful. This is natural, having grown up Christian. But also at this point I was beginning to question the validity of these beliefs and came to the conclusion that I didn't want to worship a God that had these expectations of me. I didn't want to be a pawn in his Grand Design, but rather I wanted to by my own authority. I wasn't aware of what sort of responsibility that entailed, and it made the rest of my teenage years that much more difficult. Regardless, it tempered me as an individual, and it has made me more powerful.

I won't go too much into traditions. I will simply say that I've always had leanings toward Brit Trad and I have stated in the past that "it's the only Wiccan tradition worth having interest in." Excuse me, for my elitism is showing. : I view the workings of my tradition to be solid, having been proven effective and lay a terrific foundation for practitioners to advance beyond the traditional Craft teachings. A tradition that does not evolve and expand is a tradition that dies. We walk a fine line between upholding the teachings and values that were imparted to us and blindly following tradition for the sake of it. Meditation upon the Heirophant is good for this lesson.

Have my beliefs changed? Of course. I believe my conception of Deity was incredibly simplistic when I first explored concepts of polytheism and Goddess worship. I think the biggest change for me is that I've become rather pantheistic, in the sense that all gods in all forms are entirely real and consciously self-aware beings. Fortunately, they are not all vying for my attention. Other than the God of Goddess that we call to in our Wiccan rituals, I have been drawn to several deities of the Greek pantheon, as well as a few of the orisha.

A recent development in my spiritual path is that I have been called to give honor to the orisha, and this was something that I had been on the fence about for some time. It was something I would only be willing to do if they literally said, "yes, this is something you must do." And I only received this answer when I plucked up the courage to ask. So, when I have the time and the money I will be undergoing the appropriate ceremonies and rituals. I have no desire to become some full-fledged Santera, but more than willing to become an Apetebi who serves Orula.

I have been asked: "how does this interfere with Wicca?" It doesn't. The two systems of belief are mutually exclusive, in the sense that I would be using different practices and symbol sets to give devotion to two completely different forms of Divinity. And both fulfill two completely separate roles.

Oh, and because humility is good for the soul... you know when you don't quite word things in a spell or ritual as well as you should? The intent was "to eliminate stagnation," and our means of raising power was to literally stir a cauldron... with a staff. Oh boy.
                    I give you a word of advise: do not do this if you are having relationship problems. My current relationship at the time was my source of "stagnation." And I couldn't simply end it because I was handfasted to this guy, which really had its own set of problems... but to make a long story short, I became feverish with lust and cheated on him. It ended nasty, and the cleanup after the affair was long, and painful and arduous. Needless to say, this was a fantastic learning experience and probably the most successful spell I have ever cast.

Okay, I think that's enough about me. I applaud anyone who had the patience to read this. ;D

Comment

I always loved Greek mythology, but my first real step into paganism was my Middle School experimentation with runes. Believing in their power became indistinguishable from believing in the power of the deities I read they were associated with. Yet at the same time, I could not break away from the Judaic tradition. Gradually, that connection weakened. I recall being struck by the use of the plural form of the word for God in genesis (Elohim). I was struck by the Sumerian flood story, and the worship of the near-eastern Goddess Asherah as the consort of the Abrahamic deity. I think it was the belief that the Levant had its own pagan legacy that helped me make the first step into polytheism.

I probably wouldn't have gotten far if I hadn't dated two pagan girls, one Wiccan and one eclectic. I think maybe this made them more attractive to me, but my interest in my vague notion of their "paganism" long outlasted them. I became extremely eclectic when I did finally make the jump, probably because I had read about so many different cultures by then. I gradually shifted from a very near-eastern eclectic polytheist to a mostly European one. A large part of my motivation was a rite I did for Thor, which ended very intensely in the midst of a drenching storm. I was eclectic for some time even until I became interested in the ancient Slavs, and who they were. It astounded me that an entire half of Europe had escaped my radar entirely- my own ancestry no less. By this time I had become interested in Indo-European studies, and a lot of the mythology I had been reading about seemed to lead me back home, specifically to Perun, who answered me much like Thor did.
                      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Mmm...high school. I don't remember exactly when, but I did a research project on Wicca for a comparative religions class in my senior year. I had left Christianity around that time and was just enjoying the experience of learning about other faiths, not having the pressure to commit to something new (although that was something I wanted to do when the right religion came along). Wicca wasn't for me, but it was much closer than anything else I had run into at that point.

Interwebs, I think. Then more research at the library.

Well, from 17ish to 19ish I was decidedly non-religious because I knew I need some time to cool my heels and let go of the baggage from my birth religion. From 19ish to 20ish I was a generic pagan who knew that Wicca-inspired paganism wasn't for me, but I didn't know what *was* for me yet. Things fell into place after I turned 20.

Yes, I've been a Canaanite pagan for about seven years now.

My beliefs have shifted over the years in certain ways, but more significantly, my *practices* have changed in major ways. I started out having little idea of what I should do, but with research and some experimentation I've been able to carve out a pretty coherent set of practices and ritual calendar that will hopefully continue to evolve.

That it's better to do nothing than to potentially screw something up. You don't learn that way and your practices can't grow if you're too scared to try. The gods are more forgiving than I often gave them credit for. Newbie mistakes are different from willfully doing something ignorant in ritual and I've gotten the impression over the years that they get that- at least, the ones I've regularly dealt with.
                        "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                        Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

I knew immediately that THIS was something that truly resonated within me. There was much that seemed so familiar, that was just so comfortable. I knew I hadn't arrived yet but Paganism was an immediate take for me.

Comment

There are a lot of pagans and also new-agers where I come from and in school quite a few were open about it. There are also a lot of buddhists, atheists, christians and pretty much everyone. Religion is kind of seen as your own business but of course a lot of people also like to share their beliefs. I was always interested in pagan traditions but I only really decided that was my path a couple of years ago and then I started reading everything I could find. I'm still sort of feeling things out and I tend to change with my moods but it's nice to have a spiritual side again.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I had friends that were Pagan and we chatted from time to time but it wasnt until my world was shattered by some discoveries of my old faith that sent me exploring. I asked them a bit about their beliefs and they pointed me to Scott Cunninghams books and others(Wicca:Guide to the Solitary Practitioner was the first one followed by an Idiots Guide).
                              I realized about 3/4 of the way through his book that this contained answers to questions I had all my life but never asked, that I figured Id find out after death. It made me feel whole and at peace and full of a joy that I never experienced before(I must add I had joy in my old faith but this was stronger and different somehow).
                              This all took place back in early 2007 so in many ways Im still a newbie.
                              My path became more eclectic as time went on going from straight Wicca to bits of it combined with bits of Hinduism and Witchcraft as well as some ideas that fall under the New Age category(although dont care for that term as most seem to not take it seriously when given that label).
                              Ive come to realize that my path is ever changing and growing as my journey continues and thats one of the things I love about it. I have my core beliefs, those things that I know wont change but then Ive also left myself open to letting other things change if they need to.
                              Guess you could say my dumbest move was buying up altar stuff right away instead of waiting to see exactly what I was drawn to and needed.
                              sigpic
                              My Blog...http://scribsquabs.blogspot.com/

Comment

My path, what a long one it has been.

I was raised Roman Catholic. Baptized, Communion, and almost Confirmed. I attended a Catholic school from age 7 to 13 (2nd to 8th grade). Went to Mass 3 times a week on top of Mon-Fri religion class. My grandparents were dead set on having me attend the all girl Catholic high school, but I said hell no. As did my dad, who wasn't about to pay $500 just to get me enrolled.

8th grade graduation came along, we said our good byes. By this point, my grandmother was pretty sick with gout, brain cancer, lung cancer, and emphysema. I went to Mass as often as I could that summer. Hoping for her to get better. I prayed more than I did anything else. My bed was topped with the Sacred heart, 3 rosaries, a few crucifixes, several prayer cards, and pendants with the saints on them. But her health only got worse. I blamed God. He never answered any of my prayers for anything.

I started my freshman year of high school at a public school where I met the first of my soul family and who at the time was my first boyfriend, is now my husband. We were all pretty young and foolish, and most of all, impressionable. He followed Thoth, A was wiccan, so was M. S and B were just into the arts. But combined, we had a raving curiosity for darker things, and so, we dug and tampered in waters most foul. We opened doors those months that we can never close again.

I ditched class more than 85% of the first semester, got caught, fought with my family, and ended up moving. Away from my boyfriend, my soul family, and everything that mattered to me in my teenage years.

I went to live with my mother, who was AWOL for more than 75% of my life, and as it turned out, she was a drug addict. I moved back and forth between my home town and my mother's family until I was 17. My boyfriend and I broke up twice in the process, and I gave up on him completely.

Up until I was 16, I stayed in the broom closet, hid my books, my cards, my tools. I met my first husband at that age, and he introduced me to the woman who straightened out my views about my path and taught me the majority of what I know nowadays. She is a high priestess who has been studying/practicing since she was 9. At that point, I stopped hiding. I wore my pentacle to school, fought over my right to do so, left my tools on a permanent altar in my room, and fought with my dad over the whole ordeal.

2006, I emancipated myself from my father, and moved away with my first husband, which was yet, another horrid mistake. I joined PF that year, too.
                                J and I had our fall outs, on again off again. It stayed off for a good while, and I became pregnant with my son, when I found out about the pregnancy, I panicked, I was 17, about to leave for BCT with the Army National Guard, and hardly knew the father. I went back to J and by the time I was 6 months pregnant, we got married. We had a handfasting in a public park, mothers covered their children's eyes, a man let his dog pee on the tree that was INSIDE our circle, the battery on our Jeep was dead that morning, it was just bad omens all day. But we still did it. I was Kemetic through out this entire ordeal.

After I had my son, I went through my own dedication process. I got my first tattoo. 16 paw prints across my back from shoulder to hip. The worst pain I have ever felt in my life, in dedication to Bast.

So on and so forth, the marriage fails, we get divorced in 2009, although I left him in summer 2007. I have ventured in to Eclectic Paganism. Focusing in the kitchen crafting field.

I'll completely skip over the boyfriend of 2007 to 2009, but I will say he molded my views on the universe and karma, other than that, he's not worth the time.

Fall 2009, my now husband (the boyfriend I gave up on in 2004) randomly emails me. I am a firm believer in synchronicity and waive lengths, everything happens for a reason. So we talked. January 2010, we make our relationship official, and I move in, become an aunt to 13 nieces and nephews, and a rival to his psychotic ex girlfriend. Some of you remember the drama, I'm sure. I learn that he has fallen out of his ways, he doesn't prophesize anymore. He got rid of his deck, his pendants, his books, everything.

He spent 6 years staying one step behind me. Focusing his energy into keeping me breathing and lost himself and his practices in the process. Plus, psychocrybaby didn't help any.

Winter 2010, we get married. By this point, i had dampened my practices to a minimum, i had some terrifying borderlines in the previous months, and my husband and I steered clear of the arts for a bit.

So here we are today. He's in the Army, and I'm a stay at home witch. He's wanting me to start a Pagan circle at the post we get stationed at, which I am considering. I do get calls and requests from friends occasionally for charms and satchels.

Originally posted by pihlaja View Post
                                1. My freshman year of high school. 2002.
                                2. Met someone that did more than tell me about it.
                                3. It didn't take long at all.
                                4. Not at all.
                                5. I've jumped around a bit, but the general idea has stayed the same.
                                6. Dabbing in the darker art forms was by far, the most idiotic choice I made.
                                Last edited by Bi0P0is0n; 28 Jun 2011, 16:27.
                                )0(

Don't lose who you are in the blur of the stars!
                                Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
                                It's okay not to be okay...
                                Sometimes it's hard to follow your heart.
                                Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
                                Just be true to who you are!

Comment

Working...
                                X