Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offbeat Bride post about weddings and the broomcloset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offbeat Bride post about weddings and the broomcloset.

"I have a very close relationship with my Grandmother, however, in all my years of being so close with her, I, uh, 'forgot' to mention that I am not Christian, but in fact Pagan."

I came across this post on a blog I frequent. I don't have wedding plans or anything, I guess I just watch too much TLC and like to read about creative weddings.

The post and the comments are both a nice read. Does anyone here have experience with coming out or staying in the broomcloset while planning a wedding? Did you just come out to your close family or everyone or no one? Did you have a pagan wedding without telling your guests that it was one? Did you have two separate ceremonies?

Weddings fascinate me, especially pagan ones.

Re: Offbeat Bride post about weddings and the broomcloset.

We had a non-religious traditional wedding ceremony at a wedding chapel at the beach. There was one Bible reading (song of solomon 8:6-7), but thats because its one of my favorite schpiels about love (after 1 corinthians 13, but better suited for a wedding and shorter), and my bridesmaids and myself carried lanterns rather than boquets. Honestly though, we never saw our marriage as a religious event, so it wasn't a big deal.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

we also had a non-religious ceremony, in our livingroom on the night of the winter solstice. It was/is a joining of two people with our friends and family as our witnesses. No need for religion; it wasn't christian or pagan. We were just making it legal (we were already living together and had 2 kids.)
      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I'm in the process of planning a wedding and my fiance and I trying to decide how we want it done. I consider myself a religious person and want a somewhat religious wedding. My fiance is kind of philosophical. Niether of us perscribe to a specific line of faith just yet, however. We are basically planning to write our own vows unless things change between now and then.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Marriage is just a business contract these days, anyhow.

Mostly art.

Comment

A friend of mine is deciding basically to stay in the closet basically by having two weddings (a "pre-wedding" and the "real" wedding). The first, the pre-wedding is going to be unofficial the night before, most likely including only myself, her and her fiance. Maybe one or two friends. And will be a Wiccan handfasting type ceremony. The official wedding will be the next night and follow more traditional lines for the majority of family and friends.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Marriage is just a business contract these days, anyhow.
              Actually for most of its existence marriage has been a business contract. It wasn't until the industrial revolution that the concept of marrying for love started to become accepted.

It's always interesting for me when I see just how much we think that the way we're used to things is the way they've always been.
              Re: Living History Blog
              Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

I was still christian at the time i got married so i have no input. we should ask Dufonce what it was like to be in the broom closet at his own wedding.... LOL
                "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

My husband & I had a handfasting (complete w/a Maypole & potluck) for friends & my family, & a civil wedding done at the local courthouse for his parents & legal purposes. If it wasn't for things like tax breaks & insurance coverage, we'd still just be shacking up.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                  X