Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat Cat Issues

Hey everyone,

I have a cat that used to be a stray. He was scrawny when we found him, and has a habit of over-eating because he's not used to having food regularly. This has slowed somewhat due to the feeder I put out (so now he has food constantly) but he haas gotten quite fat.

I took him to the vet, and they said he needed a diet. Unfortunately I have two cats, and the other cat isn't having weight problems. I can't feed him only certain times because he eats her food too.

Any ideas how I can diet the fat cat without dieting the other one?

Re: Fat Cat Issues

One of my cats (also previously a stray) got so fat he got stuck in the cat-flap once.... I think a lot of it is because they can't quite believe they will ever have another meal. Personally I wouldn't penalise your other cat because of this. Stick to the feeder which should prevent him overdoing it, and perhaps eventually his weight will stabilise. And show him lots of love so that he doesn't feel insecure. Has he been neutered?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I got him fixed and microchipped shortly after bringing him home, and have gotten him vaccinated against the more common illnesses.

He is a very lazy cat, and spends most of his time lying on the floor. He is also very sooky, and I try to give him pats and cuddles as often as possible.

Do you think I should changed the feeder to a diet food? I use fur-ball preventing stuff at the moment, because the other cat is long-haired.

Comment

I heard that you should feed him on the counter and make him jump up for it. Get him to do some exercise! Chase him if you have to!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Feed them separately at a prescribed time. While I haven't had cats (allergies), I've had multiple dogs for most of my life--it really *is* the only thing that works. Either feed them in separate rooms, or get a dog kennel--put the food of the fat cat in there first, shut the door, and then feed the other cat, and don't let the fat cat out until the other cat is done eating.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

^^^
            I was going to say something similar. The only problem I can think about though is that non-fat cats often pick at their food throughout the day, rather than wolf it all down in one sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              ^^^
              I was going to say something similar. The only problem I can think about though is that non-fat cats often pick at their food throughout the day, rather than wolf it all down in one sitting.
              I would think that they would learn after a day or so...at least that has been my experience with dogs...and supposedly cats are smarter than dogs Seriously though, from what I know about how wildcats feed (wildcats being the domestic cat's closest relative...I wrote a 30 effing page on the darn things a couple years ago), while they eat multiple small meals a day, they don't "graze" as pets tend to do if you leave a dish out. So it would just be a matter of feeding them at least twice, if not three times a dat.

Either that, or put kitty on a leash and teach him to go for a walk every day.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah I was able to feed my kitty like that when he was a bit younger, but now at 17 I just have to leave food out for him because he'll never eat more than a few bites at a time. I sometimes forget how much work old cats are compared to younger ones because I've gotten used to it.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Also, another idea....could you feed the fat one diet food? If you could do that and make him just a little more active, it might help.

My cat is a bajillion years old and weight isn't really an issue, but sometimes I think it's better for him that he does -something- other than sit on various sofas all day (he still can...he's in good shape for his age). He's not really interested in playing and it's probably too much effort for him, but I made up this game where I hide treats (he has to see me do it) and he has to find them. It kind of gets him out of the lethargic state he's in and gets him involved and interested in things. I largely do it in the winter because in summer he sort of pokes around on the balcony and chases slower bugs, but in winter he gets really bored and kind of whiney. Anyway maybe it could help get your cat into doing something other than sitting?

Comment

Working...
                X