X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oils

Carrier Oils:
    Cold Pressed - A method of mechanical extraction where heat is reduced and minimized throughout the batching of the raw material. This helps the oil maintain its original state, constituents, and depth. Temperatures are rigorously controlled to insure that it does not exceed 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Although not a practical method of extraction for all vegetable oils on the market it is highly regarded as the extraction method of choice.
    Expeller Pressed - A method of natural, mechanical extraction and processing of oils where a small amount of heat is produced simply through the frictional heat created by hydraulic presses. This is usually around 120-200 degrees Fahrenheit and makes the oil suitable and economical as a base for cosmetics because of its fairly undisturbed molecular state. It also makes a fine food grade oil.
    Refined - A fully processed oil where it has been exposed to high temperatures as high as 450 degrees Fahrenheit, winterization as low as -10 degrees, deodorization (the removal of content which gives an oil its natural scent), and other forms of refinement that will alter its color, depth, and scent. This makes for an economical oil in cosmetics and body care products but it is not the healthiest as a food grade oil.
    Caveat emptor: Refined oils may also be extracted with the use of solvents, extracting mediums or other chemicals.
    Unrefined - A process of mechanical extraction and screen filtering where no additional refining process has taken place. This ensures the finest quality product and makes the oil the most exquisite for food and cosmetic preparation. The unrefined process helps oil retain a rich, strong flavor and color that is true to its natural state. Unrefined oils are always darker in color and richer in scent.
    Solvent Extracted - Unfortunately many of the oils offered on the market today, including commercial store varieties are extracted with the use of solvents. This method of extraction often involves high yields at a low cost, but the chemicals used as the extracting agent have severe environmental impacts and endanger the health and vitality of the final product.
    From http://www.botanical.com/products/bulkoil/bulkoil.html

Apricot Kernel Oil:
    Providing botanical, folk-lore and herbal information, plus organic herbs, and herbal products.

Shelf life: 6 months to a 1 year
    Color/Odor: light yellow
    Consistency/Quality: light, absorbs easily
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: in oleic and linoleic acids
    Best used for: mature skin, sensitive skin and skin that is inflamed, irritated or dry, awesome in massage oil mixes for babies and adults
    Cons: Should be refrigerated after opening
    Usage notes: Acceptable substitution for sweet almond oil
    Magickal Properties of Apricot: Water, Love, Aphrodisiac in nature.

Avocado Oil:
    Shelf life: up to 1 year
    Color/Odor: dark green if unrefined, light yellow and little odor (also fewer nutrients) if refined
    Consistency/Quality: thick, penetrates easily
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: vitamins A, B1, B2, B5, Vitamin D, E, minerals, protein, lecithin and fatty acids
    Best used for: dermal regeneration, dry or dehydrated skin, exzema
    Usage notes: Blend with other oils at 10% otherwise it may overpower a blend.
    Magickal: Water, Love, Lust, Beauty

Borage Seed Oil:
    Shelf life: 3-6 months
    Color/Odor:
    Consistency/Quality: rich
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: high in GLA
    Best used for: skin rejuvenation for sun damaged skin
    Cons: EXPENSIVE, quickly goes rancid
    Usage notes: Use at 10%, should NOT be heated

Castor Oil:
    Botanical, folk-lore and herbal information - Castor Oil Plant.

Shelf life: 12-14 months
    Color/Odor: strong, distinctive odor
    Consistency/Quality: thick with sticky texture
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: fatty acids,
    Best used for: soothing, lubricating and attracting moisture to skin, as well as dry, brittle, damaged hair or hair loss
    Medicinal: effective laxative when taken internally
    Misc: fresh leaves may have been used by nursing mothers in the Canary Islands as an external application, to increase the flow of milk.

*Coconut Oil (Fractionated):
    Shelf life: indefinite
    Color/Odor: clear, odorless
    Consistency/Quality: light, absorbs easily
    Vitamin/Mineral Components:
    Best used for: massage oil base, dry, itchy, sensitive skin
    Pros: does not clog pores
    Usage notes: Substitute for sweet almond oil to avoid problems of a short shelf life.

Cocoa Butter:

Shelf life: 2-5 years
    Color/Odor: white/waxy to yellowish tan (refined vs. unrefined), smells like chocolate (refined has a lighter smell)
    Consistency/Quality: solid, melts at body temp
    Best used for: treatment and prevention of stretch marks if applied daily to the abdomen, breasts and thighs
    Cons: Difficult to use at 100%
    Usage notes: Workable when blended.

Emu Oil:Evening Primrose Oil:
    This fact sheet provides basic information about evening primrose oil—common names, usefulness and safety, and resources for more information.

Shelf life: 3- 6 months
    Color/Odor: yellow
    Best used for: eczema and other skin complaints
    Pros: anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant
    Usage notes: Do not heat.

*Grapeseed:

Color/Odor: light green, sweet, light aroma
    Consistency/Quality: light texture, absorbs without feeling greasy
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: contains vitamins, minerals, protein, GLA, vitamin A, C and E
    Best used for: Common massage oil; hair care products, lip balm, body creams, sunburn lotion, ok to use on acne-prone and oily skin
    Pros: slightly astringent
    Magickal Properties for Grape: Water, Fertility, Garden magick, intuition, money
    Misc: Generally solvent extracted

Hemp Seed:
    Shelf life: 8 months
    Color/Odor: greenish, nutty odor
    Consistency/Quality:
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: anti-oxidants, complete protein, carotene, phytosterols, phospholipids, as well as a number of minerals including calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, as well as vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, D, and E
    Best used for: creams, lotions, facial or body oils, massage oils, shampoo, conditioner, shaving products, lip balm, soap, and any other product
    Usage notes: Will degrade in light/temp flux

*Jojoba:
    Shelf life: over 1 year
    Color/Odor: gold, faint odor
    Consistency/Quality: liquid wax, may solidify at low temp
    Best used for: anything for the skin
    Misc: Jojoba has a similar chemical makeup to the oil that our skin produces naturally

Meadowfoam Oil:
    Shelf life: 2-3 years
    Color/Odor: light yellow, none
    Consistency/Quality: easily absorbed
    Best used for: Moisturizes the skin, rejuvenates and adds shine to hair, UV protection, reduces wrinkles and signs of aging; add to lotions and lip balms
    Usage notes: Extremely stable, will extend shelf life of less stable ingredients, helps retain scent

Neem:
    Shelf life: 10-12 months
    Color/Odor: strong odor
    Consistency/Quality: semi-solid in its natural state
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: Vitamin E, and essential fatty acids
    Best used for: anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and anti-parasitic agent in toiletries, soap, toothpaste and skin/hair care productsPros:
    Usage notes: may need to be liquefied at a temperature exceeding 85 degrees.
    Medicinal: In toothpaste/mouth rinse neem helps relieve swollen and bleeding gums and kills the bacteria that cause gingivitis, in foot powder, neem oil will kill fungus and bacteria, DO NOT USE INTERNALLY WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE, DO NOT USE INTERNALLY IN CHILDREN OR PREGNANT/NURSING WOMEN
    Misc: Mix with Castille Soap and water, spray onto infested plants as needed. The spray will suffocate soft bodied insects, and will repel other insects.

*Olive Oil (Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed)

Providing botanical, folk-lore and herbal information, plus organic herbs, and herbal products.

Shelf life: up to 1 year
    Color/Odor: dark yellow-greenish, distinctive smell
    Consistency/Quality: heavy
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: in minerals, vitamins, and proteins and essential fatty acids, especially alpha linolenic acid
    Best used for: dry skin, hair and nail conditioner, great in salves, and infusions
    Pros: reasonably priced, easy to find
    Usage notes: May overpower blend, Do not expose to extended periods of light
    Magickal Correspondences (Olive Tree): abundance, balance, fertility, fidelity, fruitfulness, harmony, healing, hope, longevity, marriage, peace, potency, prosperity, rebirth, reconciliation, security, success, victory, Mercury, Sun, Moon, Aquarius, Aries, Leo, masculine, Athena, Minerva, Apollo
    Medicinal: effective laxative
    Misc: used to make castile soap

*Rose Hip Oil:Sunflower Oil (high oleic):

Shelf life: 9-12 months (only if high oleic)
    Color/Odor: yellow
    Best used for: massage carrier oil
    Pros: reasonably priced, easy to find, noncomedogenic
    Magickal: High spiritual vibrations, drenched with the energies of the Sun. Aids in clairvoyance. (Cunningham), assists meditation, protects from physical harm, can be sued to consecrate healing tools, success, Leo, Virgo, Apollo, Demeter
    Medicinal: Research suggests that pre-term infants with low birth weight can benefit from sunflower oil skin treatments. Infections decreased by 41% in infants that received a daily skin treatment of sunflower oil. (from wikipedia...but I have also read similar clinical research)

Shea Butter:

This is the only blog on the internet soley devoted to shea butter. Written by Purely Shea-The Leader in Organic Shea Butter Skincare (www.purelyshea.com), The Shea Butter Blog provides indepth information about shea butter to its readers.

Soybean Oil

Shelf life: 6-9 months
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: vitamin E, lecithin, unsaturated fatty acids
    Best used for: superb moisturizer, massage carrier oil
    Pros: regenerative, anti-oxidizing and anti-inflammatory action

Sesame Oil:

Shelf life: 1 year
    Color/Odor: yellow, distinctive odor
    Consistency/Quality: heavy
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: vitamin B & E, protein, lecithin and minerals
    Best used for: Eczema, Psoriasis, Blemishes, Stress, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Aching Muscles
    Pros: natural sunscreen effect of SPF4
    Usage notes: Use in combination, will overpower mix. Keep stored away from direct sunlight to maintain freshness and nutrient value.
    Magickal: Gives hope to one who is sick, discouraged or lonely (Cunningham)

Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil:
    Shelf life: 2-3 years
    Color/Odor: amber,
    Consistency/Quality:
    Vitamin/Mineral Components: vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E, & K, oleic and linoleic acids
    Best used for: acne, dermatitis, irritated or dry skin, eczema, skin ulcers, postpartum pigmentation, burns, scalds, cuts, and tissue regeneration, burns
    Cons: if not diluted, will stain
    Usage notes: will solidify at low temperatures
    Medicinal: Reportedly, taken internally, it can help prevent gums from bleeding, recuperate mucous membranes, heal peptic and duodenal ulcers, aid urinary tract and cervical erosion, treat solar and cancer radiation injuries

*Sweet Almond Oil:

Walnut Oil:
    Color/Odor: light, nutty aroma
    Consistency/Quality: absorbs quickly
    Best used for: massage/carrier oil base
    Cons: short shelf life, persons allergic to nuts might have reation
    Usage notes: BE CAREFUL OF ALLERGIES
    Magickal Correspondences (Walnut Tree): change, fertility, healing, inspiration, intentions, new perspective, protection, wealth, air/fire, Aphrodite, Artemis, Astarte, Diana, Rhea, Apollo, Jupiter, Zeus, Vishnu, Jupiter, Sun, Gemini, Leo, Virgo, weather magick

Wheatgerm:
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Oils

Could Olive Oil be a good choice for using as a carrier oil for massage in labour? I like its list of magical properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
      Could Olive Oil be a good choice for using as a carrier oil for massage in labour? I like its list of magical properties.
      Medically, I can't think of any reason not to use it...but having been in labor, I don't think I would have wanted to smell it or feel the texture of it on me all sweaty and agitated, if that makes sense? (although, FWIW, my labor experiences were far from typical)

If I were going to use it, I would cut it with something like coconut oil or sunflower oil (I'd smell out those combinations in concert with the herbs or essential oils I wanted to use before hand because if you don't like it now, you'll hate it then).

Also (and this is a personal preference) I like infused oils better than EO with a carrier. I'll get to your other thread, I promise! ...I have to get the kids in bed and get ready for work tomorrow... Weekdays are horrible for me to try to get anything done in depth!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Medically, I can't think of any reason not to use it...but having been in labor, I don't think I would have wanted to smell it or feel the texture of it on me all sweaty and agitated, if that makes sense? (although, FWIW, my labor experiences were far from typical)

If I were going to use it, I would cut it with something like coconut oil or sunflower oil (I'd smell out those combinations in concert with the herbs or essential oils I wanted to use before hand because if you don't like it now, you'll hate it then).

Also (and this is a personal preference) I like infused oils better than EO with a carrier. I'll get to your other thread, I promise! ...I have to get the kids in bed and get ready for work tomorrow... Weekdays are horrible for me to try to get anything done in depth!
        No that's okay! Thanks for being willing to help. I am meeting up with the local EO supplier today and the next lot of orders go through on the 26th if I want anything soon. I don't like being rushed though. I feel like I'm organising this way too late.. typical, always late to the party.

I didn't know about infused oils... I'll look online about those as well. Are they as effective?
        Last edited by Azvanna; 22 Apr 2014, 16:07.

Comment

So long as you can find a good supplier for the Olive Oil then you are fine.. it is frequently cut with cheaper oils and is so common place that it can sometimes be hard to spot..so while it is a great oil to work with you need to be careful with the ones you get off the shelf. There are a few ways to tell and I'd recommend testing them out as some don't always work..depending on how the olive oil is processed or cut. Chilling it in the fridge is one way, should get cloudy or solidify, it also should be able to keep a wick lit and be flammable without producing smoke.

I used to make a lot of my own balms, lotions, massage oil mixtures and I'm glade you've got Jojoba on the list, was always one of my favorites to work with and mix. Infused oils can work just as well but it's often best if you infuse your own or atleast make sure you get the infusion elements from a trusted organic seller.

Comment

Working...
          X