Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression

So I haven't been on PF for a little while, maybe a few weeks... which is a lot for me being that I would check in multiple times a day... I have been feeling rather depressed lately, no reason for it, I am just down. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed. Some days I can't look at myself in the mirror. The thoughts that enter my mind are rarely positive and usually self destructive. I have a good support system thankfully, a dog, a cat, and a boyfriend who is trying to understand what I am going through. This thread is for those that do not have a support system. So if anyone here is depressed, and needs to reach out... post here. If any one has any advice on how to deal with depression... post that here too. It is greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Re: Depression

I've dealt with depression off and on for a very long time. For me, personally, maintenance breaks down into five things:

Eating right: when I get depressed it takes a lot more effort to eat the way I should. Simple things like getting my supplements and making sure I get plenty of veggies and fruits make a big difference.

Time with people: Not letting myself pull away and isolate.

Sunlight: 10 minutes a day, even if all I do is open a window and sit in the sun for a bit.

Exercise

Meditation
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Talk to yourself. OUT LOUD. Say, I'm going to be happy. I'm going to do (fill in the blank). All religions, all philosophies, all sciences, have a deep respect for the power of sound. It creates life. Just please trust me, a stranger, here. What can it hurt? Do it.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        Talk to yourself. OUT LOUD. Say, I'm going to be happy. I'm going to do (fill in the blank). All religions, all philosophies, all sciences, have a deep respect for the power of sound. It creates life. Just please trust me, a stranger, here. What can it hurt? Do it.
        I have never really thought about verbal affirmations while depressed... good input. The only downside is at first it feels like you are lying to yourself in a positive way. But soon the good comes and its no longer a lie.
        sigpic

Comment

i need some help tho i wouldn't describe this as "depression" but its the closest I've come to defining how i feel.

the last 2 days i've been feeling like i'm going to burst if i don't scream. i feel depressed and also not. just 'alone' I get like this sometimes but it's never been this intense. i usually sit down and draw it out. its my outlet. and it really does help. but yesterday and today when i sit down to release my pent up emotions... nothing comes. i see no picture in my mind. just blackness. so I thought i'd write it out... no words come to me.

this never happens.. but i'm lost without my outlets... i feel like i'm going to cry and scream and yet noone will hear me.. i dont feel 'depressed' really or sad. def not happy. but just.... full... bursting at the seams with some emotion i cant describe. not good. but not bad. just uncomfortable...

i dont know if any of this makes sense but i'm in need of some insight please..... please... i'm going crazy here..
          "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

^ I have felt this. Sometimes you just feel so helpless without your coping mechanisms. My only suggestion is find some new ones. Maybe a non creative outlet. So if you aren't feeling the "inspiration" to use your creative outlet (drawing or writing) try meditating to find what emotion it is.

Also I found running makes me feel better. The feel of my feet pounding the pavement, my arms swinging, the heavy breathing makes me feel like I am beating that feeling out of me.

I also like to cook when I feel this way. This doesn't take any "inspiration" or particular "feeling" but you get an end product you can feel good and positive about. Try cooking something healthy though, you don't need that "I just ate something bad for me so now I feel guilty" sort of vibe.

Also maybe your jewelry making hobby would be helpful in these times? Focus on the energy the stone is giving you and keeping your hands busy?

Hope this helps.
            sigpic

Comment

I've been there. I'm more inclined towards SAD (winter depression) and unless life circumstances go sour in the summer, I tend to forget that I ever felt bad this time of year. But come early October, I'll forget I ever felt good.

Since I have winter depression, light helps me. But overall, I find that exercise, a strict diet (very low alcohol in winter, healthy fats like avocados and salmon, etc), and creative outlets help me.

EDIT whoa just realised this is a super old thread that got bumped!

Comment

I m quite sensitive by nature that's why i mostly in depression,but now i find out the solution for it and exam it on myself.I try to remain positive,try not to think unnecessary,keep myself busy to divert my mind ,go to gym and spend more time on my exercise etc like that.

Comment

Working...
                X