Purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpose

Does anyone else get the feeling that your missing some purpose in life? I've had this sort of almost overwhelming feeling for awhile now.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Purpose

I don't think life has a purpose. We just fill it with purpose to make ourselves feel like we have worth (even though we are already worth plenty, imo).

Mostly art.

Comment

Sometimes I feel sort of empty and directionless. I feel like that less often in the past couple of years but around 2007-2009 it was really bad.

Comment

I have no such feeling... the purpose of life is to grow and change into what your're gonna be after death.

Comment

As the others have said, purpose is something you give to yourself. When one feels purposeless, it means that one is searching for something to put one's attention into, but it hasn't been found yet. Sooner or later something will turn up. The key is to keep your mind open to all the possibilities that are around you, and choose the one which seems to fit best.

I'd also add that it is better to find your own purpose than to let others find one for you, but that's just the existentialist in me talking. You can live a satisfying life either way.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've been having a lot of issues with my own sense of self-worth (I have none), feeling like I have no intrinsic value (because I have none) and seeking validation, worth and value from other people (it doesn't work). At 37, being basically a warm body that pays taxes is all I am, and it's not enough for me. Other people seem to derive great (or at least some) satisfaction and validation doing just that, and I can't.

I've started going to therapy because no matter what I do - humanitarian work, political activism, charity, having three jobs at a time, going over and above what anyone would expect from me no matter what it is I'm doing to the point of burning out, etc... nothing ever satisfies me or fills me with any sense of real purpose. I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Yes. Yes I do.
              "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I just feel that there's something "more" I should be doing, I guess. I'm not sure how self-worth plays into that personally. It's not so much about how I feel about myself as having some direction for myself, I guess.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

That takes time...I'm 30, and I've just now started figuring out what I care about enough to want to devote my life to (other than the kids and hubby) AND getting in position to be able to do it.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

So, another decade and maybe I'll have figured it out. Lol, why not.

Comment

I agree with some of the others, I don't think we're put here with a specific purpose... but, I do understand the feeling. Sort of feeling directionless, like something is missing... yeah, I feel that way sometimes. More and more often as I'm getting 'older' it seems...
                      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I am going to quote "the Secret"
                        I used to think there was a great big blackboard in the sky saying "Autum (thats me) a Michigan girl who ________"... and my goal is to discover what is in that blank. But the truth is, there is no blackboard.

We are so great and so powerful as humans that we shape our own destiny and purpose. You pick your purpose! Nothing is too big for you to accomplish. So maybe the reason you feel you do not have purpose right now is because you are too busy looking for your purpose instead of choosing it! Pick something big and great and go for it!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X