Night Terrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Terrors

As some of the longer standing members know, I used to get to nightmares and reoccurring dreams frequently, but it has been a long while since I have had it this often.

Last night was the worst one I have had in a long time. Now usually when I get night terrors the worst part about it is that I can't differentiate between being awake and asleep. It is like my head is trying to wake up, I can even feel the bed and the blankets, but the dream doesn't stop. Part of me fully and completely believes it is real and I am petrified. Usually when it gets that bad part of me wakes up enough to move me out of bed and downstairs so I can relax and be AWAKE, but last night I couldn't do it. The dream just kept going. I got so desperate that I have scratched right down my arm (and drew blood OWIE!) in an attempt to wake myself up properly and even that didn't work.

It has been a long time since I have had one this bad, and it was really frightening.

I don't know what to do about it, or how to calm them down again. I don't even know what triggered it last night, I don't feel overly stressed or worked up so that isn't it.

Any advice on dealing with something like this? Anyone else suffer from it.

Oh and please understand the nightmares are not the issue, it's the not being able to tell the difference between waking and sleeping that is the real issue. X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: Night Terrors

That's a hard one. How do you wake up in the end? With night terrors you tend to wake up with a scream but the memory of the dream itself fades quite quickly. With the Night Mare you feel you are being choked or suffocated by a 'presence' but the memory of the sensation remains vivid for months and sometimes years. Have you considered you may be having an out of body experience? If you would rather pm me about any of this, do please feel free.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Not really an out of body experience, no. It's a very hard feeling to describe because it really is like being awake and asleep at the exact same time. Like I have two sides to me. One is panicked and afraid of the dream, fully believing it is real and the other knows it is a dream, illogical and that I should wake up. I feel like both these people in the same instant.
      It truly does feel horrible.
      What woke me out of this one was just luck. I turned over in bed really violently and smacked my head on the headboard. Didn't hurt just woke me up good and proper.
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Okay, let's see... bear with me because I don't have any straight-off answers, and if I ask questions that sound a bit naff I'm only trying to get to the bottom for things and help.

You mentioned in your original post that you scratched yourself and drew blood (was this the other night?) and could not wake yourself up, yet when you turned over in bed and smacked your head on the headboard you did. So... does that mean that conscious effort doesn't work but unconscious shock does? Or does it mean that only a certain type of shock works? Not sure. But it's worth bearing in mind.

I've had something like this happen to me on occasion,but rather than waking myself up, because I knew I was awake I concentrated instead on trying to turn the dream into (a) something ridiculous and/or (b) something I could cope with. Being me, it usually ended up being a bit ridiculous, but it was at least more manageable.

So I think one strategy could be for the part of your mind that is awake and knows it's not real (I'm assuming it's that way round) to try and 'push' the dream into something ordinary, mundane. Something you can cope with. So I remember a dream where I was confronted with a raging bull, and ended up growing roses on its horns instead so it just looked ridiculous and I wasn['t frightened any more. Quite why I chose that, instead of getting the bull to run the other way I don't know, but dreams can be funny like that. Perhaps this is something you could try instead of trying to wake up.

Sometimes scary dreams hav e a message - however unpleasant - that we need to consider. If you spend some time working on this,you can find that your unconscious mind may be trying to warn or help you in some way. If you can unravel/decipher the message, unpleasant dream experiences will often stop returning.

Anyway, these are just thoughts to be going on with. It's not a quick fix solution, but there are lots of things you can try including folk remedies. My own experience found that dream interpretation and changing the dream path can work wonders... but I realise that everyone is different.
        Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 19 May 2011, 22:34.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
        X