New buisness? whats the name? YOU decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New buisness? whats the name? YOU decide

i am only doing this as a hobby/extra pocket change. but i've been enjoying it so much it really has become another fulltime job ^.^ and i'm loving it ^.^ I've already fulfilled 2 orders
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

In Nevada at least (and I think it's the same way in most of the US), if you're making something like less than $5k a year you don't have to pay taxes or have a business license. It may be different in your area, but it's well worth a look - I know that for me to get a business license here in Vegas the price is a bit more - something like $30 a year, plus a $50 filing fee for the first license...some shit like that. The last time I looked into it it wasn't prohibitive, but it certainly made me want to make sure I had a valid business idea before spending the money on it.

Comment

yeah... i highly doubt i'll make that much but will look into ty
        "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
          i am only doing this as a hobby/extra pocket change. but i've been enjoying it so much it really has become another fulltime job ^.^ and i'm loving it ^.^ I've already fulfilled 2 orders
          Yay!

I'd just say to learn as you go along....you can read a lot of stuff about business online. If you expand, you can get a business license and make a business plan

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
            Then it's not really a business. Enjoy the hobby!

Cheers!
            Re: Living History Blog
            Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

I set mine up as a "sole proprietorship" as opposed to a "LLC", and didn't have to pay anything. I pay state taxes on my sales, etc., that's it.
              And, JMHO, once you make that first sale, you cross the line from hobby to business. Congrats!
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                I set mine up as a "sole proprietorship" as opposed to a "LLC", and didn't have to pay anything. I pay state taxes on my sales, etc., that's it.
                And, JMHO, once you make that first sale, you cross the line from hobby to business. Congrats!
                I don't know how it works there, but you -can- sort of be in between. If you're an artisan and you sell things and you're making under a certain amount (and I think that can still be enough to be considered an income) you can be a freelancer and you just file the income alongside any other income you make. From the sounds of it some states have something similar....it's just a bit easier because you don't really have to file things quite the same and you don't have to get any licenses. But I guess if it doesn't cost anything it doesn't matter?

Comment

I'm not certain of the legalities - my accountant handled it and told me a sole proprietorship would be best for me as there are no other partners, investors, etc., involved. I'm sure it's a different case in each individual circumstance.
                  sigpic

Comment

The sole proprietorship works by putting your regular income in with your small business income as far as responsibility goes... Uh... in other words, if you go into debt in your small business and can't pay it off, your creditors can take your house, car, property, first born child, a pound of flesh - or you can file for bankruptcy.

Essentially it's the same as it would be if you over extended yourself making any other purchases.

An LLC (Limited Liability Company) and most of the other options (like a corporation) work by keeping your business and personal finances seperate - if your company fails and you end up with huge debts, your company files for bankrupcy, but debts can't be collected out of your personal property - unless you specifically used something (like your house) for collateral.

Sole Proprietorship is best for most small businesses because it's cheap and easy, both to set up and to maintain - most Mom & Pop stores run as sole proprietorships.

However, if you want to pull off a savings & loan type scam where you funnel company money into your private bank account, you're better off setting yourself up as a corporation. Contact any white collar criminal in a minimum security prison for further and more specific details.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

See here you -can- use one account for your private and work and all that jazz....you just need to be declared a freelancer and make sure you file your earnings. Which is why I mentioned it. It involved less if you're just doing it on the side or as a startup if you don't have to open new accounts, deal with accountants, and all that jazz. But once again, don't know the laws for each state (and they all seem to be different!)

Comment

LOL no scamming here!!!

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        The sole proprietorship works by putting your regular income in with your small business income as far as responsibility goes... Uh... in other words, if you go into debt in your small business and can't pay it off, your creditors can take your house, car, property, first born child, a pound of flesh - or you can file for bankruptcy.

Essentially it's the same as it would be if you over extended yourself making any other purchases.

An LLC (Limited Liability Company) and most of the other options (like a corporation) work by keeping your business and personal finances seperate - if your company fails and you end up with huge debts, your company files for bankrupcy, but debts can't be collected out of your personal property - unless you specifically used something (like your house) for collateral.

Sole Proprietorship is best for most small businesses because it's cheap and easy, both to set up and to maintain - most Mom & Pop stores run as sole proprietorships.

However, if you want to pull off a savings & loan type scam where you funnel company money into your private bank account, you're better off setting yourself up as a corporation. Contact any white collar criminal in a minimum security prison for further and more specific details.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone!
                          I'm looking to start a new business, a sole-proprietorship actually. Does anyone know if you're allowed to post market surveys anywhere on here? It's an online Pagan store and I've been trying to get some research but... we Pagans tend to say hidden and finding out demographic information is pretty difficult. So I made my own survey (though people are free to tell me if I'm missing something they feel is important) and I'm looking for people to participate. It's completely confidential, no names or anything like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hisdyingbride View Post
                            Hey everyone!
                            I'm looking to start a new business, a sole-proprietorship actually. Does anyone know if you're allowed to post market surveys anywhere on here? It's an online Pagan store and I've been trying to get some research but... we Pagans tend to say hidden and finding out demographic information is pretty difficult. So I made my own survey (though people are free to tell me if I'm missing something they feel is important) and I'm looking for people to participate. It's completely confidential, no names or anything like that!
                            A moderator will have to tell you about posting, but I'm willing to take your survey, if you want to PM me a copy. I have to warn you, though, I figure my finances using negative numbers, so I don't buy much...

Good luck with your business! You might want to read over my blogs on capitalism, to make sure you're doing it right...
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X