This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote as an omen?

So last night I had a very strange experience. Just outside my home, I saw a coyote cross the road in front of me as I was driving. I slowed to not run it over, and when it crossed to the other side, it stopped, turned around, and looked right at me for several seconds. I'd have stayed and looked at it longer, but it was off the road and if I'd stayed much longer, I'd be holding up traffic. While we do get coyotes out here, we don't usually get them in the busier parts of town. When I do see them, it's usually out in rural areas. And by usually, I mean the only 6 or so other times I've seen one. Mostly we just get squirrels, raccoons, and opossums. The experience was awesome. I wondered if it might be a sign. Usually I take deer sightings as a good sign because I feel a connection with deer. In the back of my mind, I wondered if it could be something bad, because the coyote is a trickster afterall.

Well, today, I had something terrible happen. Without going into details that I was specifically asked not to talk about, basically the news I got today would make me a fitting side character in a Lifetime movie. A quick google search revealed that a coyote crossing a road is like the old black cat crossing the road thing, but much much worse. I didn't exactly get it from a reliable source, but obviously some people believe that it's a bad idea to be the first to drive over where a coyote has crossed the road.

So what do you think - was the coyote a coincidence or an omen?

Re: Coyote as an omen?

Probably just a coincidence. Coyote is a trickster, but coyotes cross roads all the time. They're also becoming more urban as suburbs sprawl into their territories.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It depends. Did it feel like an omen to you? Did you feel like it was a sign? If so, then yes I'd say it was. If not, then no. I personally do not see the Coyote as an unlucky omen. And for all you know it might just be an omen of "Hey look at me! I'm crossing your path to say I'm your totem animal!" Who knows? Try meditating on it if you feel it was some type of sign. Also below I've added a link I found interesting on coyote symbolism.

Animal symbolism: coyote meaning is all about how to navigate through life in purposeful yet playful ways. Get savvy about the smart way of the coyote here.

Comment

There aren't coyotes here, but I can't imagine that they're are THAT different from foxes. We get foxes smack in the middle of our city of 3.5 million, and my friends in London (even bigger) say they see foxes there from time to time as well.

That being said, if you feel it has some sort of significance to you, maybe it does.

Comment

Coyotes are a lot different than a fox. They are a lot bigger, they pack, they have taken over larger predator niches. ie wolf, cougar, bear, when these are not present. They kill chickens, sheep, goats, baby cows and deer and are capable of killing a human. they injure cows and horses. They also kill and eat peoples pets.

Comment

Foxes also eat peoples pets.

And I didn't mean they were the same, but friends in places that have coyotes say that they kind of "urbanize". That's what I meant. Like, raccoons and foxes are also really different, but I see the same behaviour in that they're animals that, when forced, seem to scavenge and adapt really well to urban environments (I dont' have foxes where I come from either....more bears and cougars and raccoons).

And for that matter, Bears and cougars back home are often seen in urban environments. My home town is always having issues with bears knocking over garbage cans and getting into things and stuff. And once a cougar got into a parkade in Victoria and it took hours to get it out....in the middle of the city. And they'll also eat pets and even go after small children (or if they're desperate, you).

Point is, animals adapt and if their natural environment is shrinking, they figure out how to make it work in ours. My point was that here, that's foxes. And Wild boars (even worse of a problem because they're super aggressive). Back home, it's cougars, bears and raccoons. So I don't see how coyotes would be different.

Comment

Yes, I did see a fox in Soho when I was staying there. Coyotes are really not very common where I am. They're here, but like I said, I've only spotted about 6 in two decades.
              And yes, it did feel important when it happened. But I continued about business as usual the next day, at least until the afternoon when I got my bad news. Then again, my misfortune didn't last too long. By that night I was trying to recover by going out with friends and we won trivia night t-shirts. Still trying to recover from the bad news. Things are a mess around here, right during commencement weekend. At least if nothing else, I'm getting a college degree tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by catsraven View Post
                Coyotes are a lot different than a fox. They are a lot bigger, they pack, they have taken over larger predator niches. ie wolf, cougar, bear, when these are not present. They kill chickens, sheep, goats, baby cows and deer and are capable of killing a human. they injure cows and horses. They also kill and eat peoples pets.
                Holy crap, Cats, where do you live & how big are your coyotes?

Ours here in Nevada only get about 45 lbs - for comparison, my domestic dog weighs 90 lbs. The packs they form are very small, usually only a family group when the female has puppies. Even though they are becoming urbanites, unless they've got rabies they aren't bold enough to attack a full grown person & usually little kids are loud enough to scare them off - it's been ages since I've heard any rumors of 'coyotes ate my baby'. Bright lights, loud dogs & emus are enough to keep them away from poultry & unless the calf has been fully separated from the cows & is out wandering around alone, coyotes won't chance the cows' horns & hooves. Our mule deer, burros & wild horses don't suffer any coyote predation whatsoever (as opposed to mountain lions, which do attack wandering lone humans) - most coyote marks are found after a deer, burro or horse has become road kill.

Most of our large game & livestock is at a greater risk from feral dogs that people have abandoned - feral dogs will pack up and they usually are larger than the wild coyotes (coy-dogs are rare in the wild & are usually the result of human breeding interference) and are capable of bringing down large prey (once they figure out how to do it) and endangering people because unlike coyotes, feral dogs aren't afraid of people. Feral dogs will also work together to steal food from people - one dog will rush the person, who drops what they're holding & the other dog will snatch it & run.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatKrazy View Post
                  Yes, I did see a fox in Soho when I was staying there. Coyotes are really not very common where I am. They're here, but like I said, I've only spotted about 6 in two decades.
                  Coyotes are pretty common everywhere, even in urban areas...and they are pretty elusive, and shy, so most people don't see them. For example, Chicago even keeps coyotes in the city itself, for pest control specifically because they keep down the small mammal population--rats and the like, and they manage their urban territory quite nicely, keeping to green space, hunting at night, and avoiding people (plus
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

We have them here in the metro Detroit area as well. The first time I saw one in Farmington Hills about 15 years ago people thought I was nuts.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Ok we have completely derailed this thread. Seeing a coyote is an omen if you feel it is.

I live in a rural area. I have seen these things as have others.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                        Holy crap, Cats, where do you live & how big are your coyotes?
                        I live in East Texas, and our coyotes are as big as your dog. We've even got some half breed coyote wolf thing out here. If you didn't know what they were you'd swear it was a wolf. Anyways, our coyotes have been known to eat chickens, attack cattle and horses, decide that someone's average sized dog was dinner and etc. We have them in packs too which makes them a lot worse, but it is more common to just see one sole - but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong to a pack.

Comment

^ That's why I was asking Catsraven. Our western coyotes are generally about as big as a sheltie, but I know in Minnesota & the northeast, they are bigger & heavier, getting to about 65 lbs on average.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                            ^ That's why I was asking Catsraven. Our western coyotes are generally about as big as a sheltie, but I know in Minnesota & the northeast, they are bigger & heavier, getting to about 65 lbs on average.
                            Whoa!

Yeah I was thinking they weren't that big either. I -have- seen them before on various travels, but I've only been to Western states and provinces.

Comment

I wouldn't consider a coyote an omen at all. Their not much more than common vermin! They've really put a hit on the rabbit and small game population since they showed up here in SW Michigan. I once had a stare off with one while walking my dog. It was probably 50 yards out and stood there glaring back at me (my dog was oblivious to the coyote). As soon as a took a few steps toward it, it ran off. IMO their too common to really be any kind of "sign".

Comment

Working...
                              X