X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coyote as an omen?

Originally posted by Scorpio74 View Post
    They've really put a hit on the rabbit and small game population since they showed up here in SW Michigan.
    That's what they're supposed to be doing, lol. Not many people know it, but we've got a rat problem here in Vegas (mainly the Strip because of the sheer amount of food & human waste that moves in & out of the hotels) - if it weren't for the urban coyotes & feral cats, we'd be over-run by the damned things.

When I see coyotes (& the occasional kit fox), for me it's a reminder that they are not intruders on our turf, we are intruders on their turf. They were here first. The coyotes, foxes, raccoons & other opportunistic feeders are lucky enough to have developed ways to benefit from our existence - be it from eating house pets (who are so modified by long lives with humans that they can no longer live very well 'in the wild') & house pet food, feasting on garbage or eating the rodents & insects attracted to the garbage. The other wild life, like the mountain lions, big horn sheep, burros, pronghorn, bison & so on haven't been so lucky - for the most part, they suffered greatly for our intrusions.

If anything, when a person encounters a piece of the wild in the city, or on the outskirts of a city, or in their back yard it should be a reminder that we are not alone on this planet - we share this big blue & green ball, and if a coyote can figure out how to live alongside us, we should be able to figure out how to live alongside them.
    Last edited by Ophidia; 30 May 2011, 19:30. Reason: fergot sumfin'
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
    X